All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Is 2 T of acacia your maintainance dose? new
      #216262 - 09/28/05 07:46 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you take this everyday? I noticed in another post you mentioned that you thought it might be better to just do a big shot of Acacia only when you are constipated.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: road trips... new
      #216268 - 09/28/05 08:02 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Thank you!! I started to have an attack on the way to the doctor's office and I popped a levsin and it went away. So, I pretty good while I was there. However, when I left there, I went to the grocery store and I picked up some stuff for my husband, including doughnuts......and I ate one and that was a huge mistake!!.....I shouldn't have done that. I thought I was going to die!! And I woke up not feeling so well, this morning, too. I still don't feel too good right now, but at least I was able to eat something. I'm so glad to hear that you're stable. I wish I was stable.......oh, those were good times!! hehehehe....
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: So far... new
      #216907 - 10/01/05 06:20 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Well remember, not everyone reacts well to Acacia. It does seem to be well tolerated by a lot of people, but everyone's IBS is different you know? Personally Acacia gave me attacks! Even when starting small. But you should give it a good try cause it may help you. But don't get discouraged if it doesn't, just maybe go back to the other fibers you were using.

--------------------
IBS-C

I have skinny, painful, all day long stools too! new
      #218240 - 10/08/05 08:53 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

And I am also in the middle of introducing Acacia to my body. I also have the mushy skinny poos...the kind where you keep wiping but can't seem to get a clean butt! Yuck. I need to carry wet wipes with me like a litle baby!

I had firmer BMs while on psyllium, but couldn't stand the gas.

I now have skinny little BMs all day, and the gas. I'm just hoping it gets better as my dose of acacia increases. Or should I stop it and go back to what I was doing?

I also feel like the BMs... new
      #218247 - 10/08/05 09:26 AM
Cyndy

...are incomplete. I always feel like I need to go, but the stool just won't come out. It is just so frustrating. Any suggestions on how to make the BM more complete and less thin?

Re: I also feel like the BMs... new
      #218257 - 10/08/05 09:48 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

How long have you been at it? I wouldn't go back -- as the gas wasn't good either... unless... have you tried adding a probiotic to control the gas? Sometimes that helps. If your old fiber worked for your BMs - that and a probiotic might work in combo.

Well, I've been on the acacia for one month new
      #218261 - 10/08/05 09:52 AM
Cyndy

And I was taking a probiotic with the psyllium and also now. I just chose a probiotic out of many so don't know how good it is. I have tried several, but none have seem to help with gas. Is there one that is better for gas?

How much acacia are you up to each day and how are spreading out the doses? -nt- new
      #218263 - 10/08/05 09:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Well, I've been on the acacia for one month new
      #218269 - 10/08/05 10:06 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Hmmm Gas was the one issue I had the hardest time getting rid of. I attack it on two fronts. I use a probiotic and I have digestive enzymes that have an anti-gas element in them. Both are made by Natrol. I don't know that they are better than anything else out there -- I just know they work for me. I read up on them from Consumer Reports -- the Natrol had all the bacteria they were supposed to -- and they were all alive. They do have less than other brands -- because they say that they need less because they all survive. I use Biobeads -- they are coated to survive the acids in your stomach. I also use their digestive enzymes -- I actually take more than the suggested dose -- I take 2 with lunch and 2 with supper.

Here is their site with info on Biobeads (keep in mind that I buy it for cheaper)
http://www.natrol.com/products/product.php?sku=4042

and Digest Support
http://www.natrol.com/products/product.php?sku=885

At iherb I buy the biobeads for 8.24 and the Digest Support for 6.04 -- then they offer an on-line discount that saves me another dollar or so. (the picture they show for Digest Support doesn't match -- but it is the same thing)

However -- that's just what worked for me. What's worse -- the BMs or the gas? I would fix that first. You may need to try a whole new kind of fiber. I had gas with acacia as well -- and Psyllium is known for gas. I know some use Benefiber or maybe Citrucel. It may be that your fiber is what is causing your gas -- and that's why the probiotic isn't working.

3 teaspoons a day now.. new
      #218273 - 10/08/05 10:14 AM
Cyndy

Spread out over 6 times. Is it better to take more at a time and reduce the number of times I take it?

I take 1/2 tsp with breakfast, 1/4 tsp noonish, 1/2 tsp with lunch, 1/4-1/2 tsp at 4, 1 tsp with dinner (7 pm), and 1/4 tsp at around 8:30.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 396 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 76008

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review