All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Re: Low doses of Acacia question new
      #215866 - 09/26/05 09:10 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Yea, I still mix it in water when I take my 1/4 tsp at about 3:00pm. I seem to be stabilizing a little more, but I'm not quite there, yet. But I'm IBS-D, so if you're still constipated, I would up it a little bit. And if you want to combine fibers, you can do that too. I was saying in another post that when I was so constipated in the Navy, I took about 4 of those Fiber Choice tablets with a big tall glass of water and my bowels would move by the next day, max. It worked really well for me. I was MAJORLY constipated because I was stationed on a ship and would hold it all day because my work center was really far away from a female restroom. You might want to try that, combined with your acacia to see if you can get things moving!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#215867 - 09/26/05 09:11 AM
anlikerm

Don't up the Acacia by alot though, or you might get MAJOR BLOATED!!! That wouldn't be good!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#215868 - 09/26/05 09:18 AM
anlikerm

Well, I was stabilizing more up until right now. I just had a diarrhea attack......so strange! But, I'm okay......not in a whole lot of pain at the moment.
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

I'm so sorry new
      #215893 - 09/26/05 10:12 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Sending hugs to you...

Wish there was more I could do to help...

Re: I'm so sorry new
      #215895 - 09/26/05 10:17 AM
anlikerm

Me too!

--------------------
Unstable

#215901 - 09/26/05 10:23 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I dissolve the 1/4 t in about 2 T water and drink that. Then I swish another T of so of water in the bottom of the cup and drink that. I repeat another couple of times to make sure I've gotten all the Acacia.

When I tried it before, I used to mix it in applesauce ... but I've been taking the Acacia on an empty stomach, and I can't do applesauce on an empty stomach. I don't know what most people do ... I tried mixing it w/ applesauce since that's what Sand said she did.

Beth -- at 1 1/2 t per DAY with severe C, there is no way it is going to be helping you to go!!!! You really need to up your dosage. If you get bad bloating/gas, then back it down. On Saturday when I started on the Miralax for the colonoscopy prep, that bloated/C feeling was so horrible. If I had to deal with that every day, I'd be eating the Acacia out of the jar with a spoon if I thought it would help.

(disclaimer: I do not recommend eating Acacia out of the jar with a spoon. This is probably not healthy. Plus, highly unsanitary.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#215928 - 09/26/05 11:29 AM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

I have a wide mouth 1L bottle I use for acacia. Fill it with water, add the acacia and shake to mix. 1L is about the minimum I like for 2 tbsp. If you let it settle for a few minutes after it will finish dissolving on it's own. I would drink a glass or two before I left for work, and finish the rest off when I got home. I will also heat it up in the microwave for tea, but be careful, it will boil over faster than just water on its own.

Edited by Safari567 (09/26/05 08:41 PM)

How are you doing today? new
      #216062 - 09/27/05 07:48 AM
kshsmom

Any better? It can be so hard when we all try to help - but we can really only go by what has worked for us -- and by what Heather writes -- and what we see on the board. I do hope you get this thing figured out sooner rather than later -- I know how stressful it can be. I spent a good three and half months before my system settled down a little -- and even the I had bloating & gas -- I switched a few months later and was much better.

I did usually switch to the same amount of fiber. Sometimes I backed off -- when I had a bad reaction -- and then I was told to add more.. or vice versa... but I usually started at the same level of whatever I had already been taking. Are you up to the same amount of fiber grams yet?

Re: How are you doing today? new
      #216079 - 09/27/05 08:36 AM
anlikerm

I am....I was taking a whoping 6 grams, for the past year on Citrucel and now I'm at 6.75 grams between the Acacia and Citrucel. I'm combining them and am doing better, today. I really appreciate your help and support and I cannot say that I'm stable yet, because I took Pepto Bismol yesterday, but I haven't had an attack, yet.....I will have to wait and see how I do when the Pepto goes through my system. Tomorrow, I will be able to tell if I need to continue to go up on my Acacia. I'm sure I will. 6.75 grams isn't hardly anything!! I'm going to stay where I am on the Citrucel and up the Acacia as needed. I have to go to the doctor's today for a check-up on my Anti-Depressant.....we'll see if I have an attack then. I realllllly hope I don't. I don't like to be driving when I'm having an attack. You doing okay, today???
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

road trips... new
      #216256 - 09/28/05 06:45 AM
kshsmom

I know how nervous they made me when I was iffy. You are so sweet to ask how I am. I have been stable for a while... I only have problems when I 1. eat something I shouldn't 2. get sick 3. get too hot (causes stress) 4. get stressed for some other reason.

I hope your appointment goes well and that you stay stable.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1817 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 76006

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review