All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
So far... new
      #215704 - 09/25/05 11:38 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Too early to tell, I think. I stopped the psyllium and the citrucel altogether, and decreased the acacia to 1/2 tsp twice a day. Yesterday I added another 1/2 tsp. I think I will now add 1/2 tsp every 5-7 days. Do you think that sounds like a good speed?

Since stopping the psyllium and citrucel, I feel worse. I needed to take a donnatol a few nights ago...and that is always my "last resort". I have gotten into a pattern of no BM one day, but lots of pain. Then, I go the next day, but it is long, skinny, painful, "D" type consistency . Not the logs I was hoping for!

I'll stick with the acacia for a while. Hopefully, once I get up to a higher dose, the spasms will decrease and the BMs will be more regular and firmer. I can't believe I just typed all that yucky stuff out on the world wide web!

So far, I am disappointed in the Acacia...I am having spasms, pain, and discomfort all day. But like I said, I'm hoping it's just because I'm at a low dose and went from 8.5 grams fiber supplement a day to only 3 or so. Only time will tell though.

It's nice to have a buddy going through this at the same time! I hope it works for both of us! Have you tried it before Jen?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My thoughts on SFS and IBS-C new
      #215713 - 09/25/05 11:56 AM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

First of all, I want to point out this is my own personal case, and I do not want to cause anyone more problems than they already have. However, I did want to share some things I've noticed when taking SFS.

I find that C returns regularly no matter how high of a SFS dose you are taking. I was up to at least 4 tbsp a day when I was taking acacia yet I was not having regular BM. I also noticed that I never experienced problems when increasing a dose of acacia. If I increased it too much the only side effect was a regular BM.

About a month ago life got busy and I quit taking the acacia and nothing bad happened. I found that as long as I was eating well I could more or less control the symptoms. I set myself off again recently with a few forbidden foods so I decided to take acacia to try to calm my stomach. First dose in over a month and I took 3 tbsp in one day. Result - nothing but a BM!

What I'm trying to say is I'm wondering if SFS would work better for IBS-C people if it wasn't taken daily. I think I might try taking a full dose twice a week. For me I always adjust to it quickly, but if I'm never adjusted then it should continue to have a natural laxative effect on me.

Has anyone else had any experiences like this? If I actually follow through with my twice a week plan I will post about it in a few weeks.

Re: So far... new
      #215717 - 09/25/05 12:13 PM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Psyllium had a terrible effect on me, had two bad attacks when I tried taking it this spring. When I was taking acacia I increased my dose by 1/2 tsp every couple of days, and by the end I was increasing it by the same amount every day. I never did hit a point where it seemed like too much!

Re: I'm glad you are having such a good day! new
      #215723 - 09/25/05 12:25 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Well -- I'm great - but I haven't switched my fiber. I am still doing my whole 12 grams of Citrucel. I do understand your frustration though -- because I did that whole switching back and forth thing for quite a while. I am thinking about you -- and I hope that this whole thing works out for you.

Maybe you need a mix of the fibers to work best for you. Some people do that. You said you felt great that day when you were using both -- maybe that's what you need to do.

#215739 - 09/25/05 02:35 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Hey Beth! I'm doing the same thing right now and I stopped taking my Citrucel three times a day and I'm taking 1/2 tsp of the Acacia twice a day and at about 3:00pm I will add in a 1/4 tsp before I eat. It seems to be working out okay for me so far. I do have alot of intestinal gas right now or rumbling.....I don't know what it is but I can tell that my insides are trying to adjust to the new fiber.
Keep us posted on how you are doing!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: I'm glad you are having such a good day! new
      #215741 - 09/25/05 02:39 PM
anlikerm

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, today!! I am feeling kind of wierd, so maybe I will combine them. Actually, I think I did yesterday, but not today. And today, I feel more wierd then I did yesterday.....if that made any sense at all. I am having some gas, today. Little bit of a problem eating......but, I'm surviving!
Keep us posted! Talk to ya soon!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

I kind of agree with you~ new
      #215743 - 09/25/05 02:42 PM
anlikerm

When I was constipated in the Navy, which is nothing like I am now (I'm IBS-D), I would only take some fiber when I really needed it with a HUGE glass of water and it would finally move my bowels. I didn't take it everyday. So, I can see what you are saying. It might be better that way for some people. It's worth a shot. However, I'm soo bad with diarrhea, now, that I have to take a SFS every single day or it will be a nightmare!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#215754 - 09/25/05 03:43 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Yikes! If you stopped the psyllium and Citrucel, shouldn't you be taking extra Acacia to make up for it?

Although since you're having problems, I do think it's a good idea to only try one fiber at once. Some people take so many supplements etc. I wonder how they feel they can know what's doing any good.

1/2 t every 5-7 days seems pretty slow for a C. But, at the same time, going slow isn't going to hurt anything -- it just might not yield you results that quickly. I'm at 1/4 t and it's giving me troubles, so I won't bump it up until the gas subsides. When I do, it'll only be by 1/4 at first. Depending on how that goes I might get a bit more aggressive.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Yes - it does make sense... new
      #215787 - 09/25/05 07:05 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I'm sorry about it. That's how it was with me too -- it got a little worse instead of better.

Don't give up though -- I know the right amount/combo/type of fiber is out there for you. You'll find it.

Low doses of Acacia question new
      #215862 - 09/26/05 08:43 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

When you take only 1/4 tsp of acacia, do you still mix it in water? I am only taking 1/2 tsp at a time, and I'm afraid I may be losing some of it (or a lot of it) on the sides of the cup or even on the fork.

Do most people take the Acacia in food? I wanted to take it before the food so I could have serve as a buffer for my IF. But it won't work, if I am missing out on the full dose. I haven't been going at all yet. I'm at 1 1/2 tsp a day.

I did go down a lot in my total fiber amount, but just felt safer doing this even Heather says you can start acacia at the equivalent fiber dose as you were taking before. Do you think I should bump it up...considering I'm so darn C! But won't this cause other problems (bloat, gas). It is a different form of fiber.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 76003

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review