All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fructose in jam
      #214767 - 09/20/05 02:16 PM
Laurie306

Reged: 09/20/05

Hi there - I have a question. Does anyone happen to know if preserves and dried fruits have higher quantities of fructose than most fresh fruits EVEN IF THERE ARE NO INGREDIENTS ADDED, like cooked tomatoes which have a much higher acid content than fresh? -

And while I'm asking questions - has anyone had trouble with plain rice cakes? Maybe anything that isn't soft is a possible trigger?? - Laurie

Edited by Laurie306 (09/20/05 02:24 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fructose in jam new
      #214769 - 09/20/05 02:32 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

well, jams are somewhat concentrated so they probably do have a higher fructose amount than a fresh portion of the same size.

But I eat the Bonne Maman brand of preserves everyday and never have a problem because they don't add any extra fructose the ingredients are just fruit, sugar,pectin, and citric acid.

Re: rice cakes new
      #214773 - 09/20/05 02:55 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

the trouble with rice cakes isn't their consistency, but the fact that they're almost all made with whole grain (brown) rice, which has a decent amount of IF.

the idea of SF foods acting as a cushion is not a literal explanation of how they help. (besides, once you chew and swallow, almost everything is soft.) SF foods should be eaten before more irritating things because they don't irritate or shock your system, and get your digestive process going smoothly. for some reason i think of it in terms of ice water - if you were to pour ice water over your head, it'd hurt, but if you worked your way up to it, with lukewarm and cool water first, you'd be okay.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: fructose in jam new
      #214774 - 09/20/05 03:03 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can't eat rice cakes because they are made from brown rice, which is insoluble fibre. Before I realized this, I had a very severe IBS attack after taking just one bite of a rice cake! I was in pain for two weeks so I have no desire to repeat that sorry experiment.

I use babyfood fruit sauce as jam. Things like pear sauce, apple sauce, apple/blueberry sauce and apple/strawberry are available in babyfood jars. They contain just the fruit and sometimes just a little added ascorbic acid and nothing else. Plus the fruit is cooked and pureed which makes it easier to tolerate. Surprisingly, they taste quite good! I've been spreading babyfood fruit sauce on my morning bagels for about 15 years now!

Outstanding&Creative Jam Alternative, Belinda. new
      #214776 - 09/20/05 03:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I commend you on your creative jam alternative, Belinda. I might have to try it, soon. Babyfood fruits have so many uses! Thanks for sharing. The additives in jams often make me feel quite ill--perhaps it's the pectin?

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7687 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review