All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Am I doing best things to stabilize ?
      #214526 - 09/20/05 02:12 AM
rob n

Reged: 08/18/05
Loc: WA

I am still kind of new at this and would appreciate wisdom and/or experience. I'm on day 6 of D. Two of those days have been what I refer to as 'blowing glass' days when talking to DW. Sounds better than saying burning D and terrible gas with continual bloating with cramping. Took 2 lomotil tabs those days, I only use when really bad. They usually ease things within 1-4 hours, but not so now. Eating nothing but SF. Don't like to spend kitchen time, so keeping real basic...rice, potato, banana, RKT's, oatmeal, squash cooked to mush, some avacado, and little else. Have cut out usual butter substitute (smart bal. lt.) and soy milk. Going with fennel, anise, and peppermint teas and water only. have cut usual daily SFS (citrucel), it seems to increase already toxic and plentiful gas. I have peppermints(altoids) and ginger candies most days. Small frequent meals/snacks and no cold liquids. Practicing positive thinking, daily meditation, and some yoga. My first long bout since May. Erratic sleep pattern, too much boiling going on.
I have come to expect lots more 'feeling good' days and am very grateful for this new lifestyle, but this really has a grip on me right now. I want off! Ideas?
Thanks Robert

--------------------
Robert IBS-D 6 Yrs

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Personally... new
      #214553 - 09/20/05 07:17 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but I would also avoid avocado, RKTs, and oatmeal, just for now. Avocado, though SF, is very high in fats, which could be irritating if your system is already touchy. Oatmeal is actually equal parts SF and IF, so you might want to go easy on that as well. The RKTs are probably actually safe as long as you're sure that there's no HFCS in the cereal, but I find that I'm ultra-sensitive to fats when I'm in a flare-up, and even the amount in the treats can irritate me.

When I'm in an especially bad flare, I stick with rice, potatoes, white-meat chicken, plain pasta, and white bread - no fruit, no vegetables.

I can't speak from experience with the Lomotil - I've only ever used Imodium - but hopefully someone else will come along with some input on that.

Other than that, I can't think of anything I've ever done that's much different, except that I cut out the yoga and make it bed-rest days with a heating pad, but I know that's not an option for everyone. I just find that activity aggravates my insides if I'm in a bad flare.

I'll keep thinkin'!

Re: Am I doing best things to stabilize ? new
      #214557 - 09/20/05 07:20 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sounds like you're doing everything right. It's unhealthy though to stay solely on SF. You need to get some insolubles into you. But let's deal with the Diarrhea first. TONS of peppermint tea, my friend. An Immodium. If you're on Day 6, it's time to bring out the big guns. Also, a light 10 minute walk after eating is also very helpful.
Have you been tested for celiac? Something to consider. More information at celiac.com
Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#214798 - 09/20/05 04:30 PM
rob n

Reged: 08/18/05
Loc: WA

Thanks much for the caring replies. I know many use immodium, but tabs and gelcaps not effective enough for me. They're gone before they have time to work! Liquid causes severe GERDS. You're very right about ISF, I know. Today I'm having a little chicken with the rice. Also I'm lightening up on oatmeal, had forgotten it has pretty high ISF percentage. You are also correct about Celiac symptom similarity. I am allergic to wheat, almost same thing as celiac. I think I'm avoiding wheat,but who knows...maybe it's in something I think is safe. Time for lots of label reading! Feeling a little better today. Thanks

--------------------
Robert IBS-D 6 Yrs

#214908 - 09/21/05 04:27 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do you know if you're intolerant of wheat or gluten? If it's gluten, it's in alot of things...you'll need an expert to twll you what.

And btw, celiac is an IBD so it's different to IBS with a wheat/gluten intolerance.

#214912 - 09/21/05 04:39 AM
mykidhasibs

Reged: 09/20/05
Loc: Virginia Beach Virginia

There are celiac websites that would give you gluten free food information, even downloads to your PDA of safe foods list. I am sure you have probably searched the web for this but a wheat allergy is a very restrictive diet since some derivative of wheat shows up everywhere even in some sodas.(we have celiac in our family and see the restrictions first hand although my immediate family has all tested negative)
You have a wheat allergy but tested negative to celiac? Interesting.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 514 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 930

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review