All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question about food allergies- need advice please
      #213984 - 09/16/05 11:40 PM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

i notice that when i eat certain foods i develop pressure/tightness in my head. lately i've noticed that it occurs after eating certain vegetables (i.e asparagus and cilantro) that never gave me problems in the past. anyone else experience this or know if it is an allergy? could it be from ibs?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about food allergies- need advice please new
      #213986 - 09/17/05 01:14 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi. I have an amine intolerance which means that if I eat chocolate (including cocoa), banana's avocado's etc that my mouth itches, my throat burns and I get a washing machine belly and sometimes D if I eat enough of them. A good site for food intolerances (and I've included a list for amines and for salicylates) can be found at amines and also salicylates but it's something you should probably bring up with your doctor. Hope this helps and good luck

--------------------
Amy

I seocnd Amy's comments on intollerances, but... new
      #214008 - 09/17/05 08:29 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

from the list of foods mentioned... its most likely salicylates.. I have issues along those lines (same symptoms even, though if i have too much it becomes migraines) from glutamates (IE MSG, carageenan, tomatoes in large enough quantities) thankfully the symptoms are minor unless the quantity is larger, so mostly things iwth carageenan and msg set me off but not the fruits/vegetable thing.. but sometimes I need to back off those... and from research intollerances can get worse with more exposure.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#214024 - 09/17/05 10:24 AM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

does ibs cause these allergies? once you develop the allergies, does it mean that your body is going to keep developing new ones over time?

#214065 - 09/17/05 07:09 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

You can develop new intolerances but it's usually if you go overboard on a certain type of food. For me banana's and avocado's have always made my mouth itch and no IBS doesn't mean you definately have food intolerances. Heather's list of no no foods is generally the things that set most IBS'ers off but you can have food intolerances on top of the IBS that cause IBS like symptoms. Likewise you can have food intolerances but not IBS that cause IBS like symptoms. The best way to know for sure is to do an elimination diet through a dietician or hospital and they can help you work out if you have any intolerances or allergies. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Amy

#220151 - 10/18/05 03:50 PM
jcwat101

Reged: 10/17/05

I've certainly had head pain from food reactions. I find the pulse test very helpful to identify many hidden food reactions. You can read about it a http://members.aol.com/SynergyHN in Issue 5 and 8.

Joyce

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review