All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
okay, so i guess i have acid reflux
      #213349 - 09/14/05 02:22 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

did a search on this and found mostly responses to an old post of mine. guess this is more than a one-time thing. i had a little bit of burning in my stomach earlier today, but now, for i think the first time ever, i have a burning at the back of my throat. this is definitely acid reflux. thing is, i've eaten nothing but safe foods today. cereal and bagels and soy milk and rice - i'm still being careful after destabilizing myself last week, and these are all foods i know i handle safely.

so first, there's 'why is this happening with safe eating!?' second, though, is what to do about it. no more peppermint, right? (and i just bought a new box, too. no more peppermint, ever? i can mail you mine, if you like.) my dr. told me antacids can cause d - i'd been taking rolaids. but what about otc things like zantaz and pepcid ac?

my questions are:
*what can i do diet-wise to help? does water help? bread doesn't seem to. i think kate had mentioned club soda, but *i thought carbonation causes acid.
*what can i take for this that won't give me d?
and do i need to see a dr?

thanks. i worry that i'm slightly hypochondriac... or, at least, i worry i'll seem to be.

-neurotic jaime

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: okay, so i guess i have acid reflux new
      #213404 - 09/14/05 06:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'd see an M.D. a.s.a.p. and end your suffering. Get a PPI. Eliminate citrus/tomatoes from your diet. Eliminate added fats. Honestly, it doesn't matter what I eat, personally, but certain things I know won't stay down in me personally, so I don't bother trying to eat them. The PPI is the only thing that works--I take Nexium; It's the only one that has ever worked for me. I keep Zantac on hand as well, and Rolaids--NOT TUMS, they foam up too much.
When worse comes to worse, I'll eat a handful of Philips chews like their Pez candy and all will be just dandy. Peptobismal caps. work too.

I also can't digest food without enzymes and that makes a huge difference. The sodium bicarbonate in Club Soda helps neutralize acid for me/dissolve undissolved stuff in my gi tract. It stops anything from coming back up, at least for me. I don't know why.

Water doesn't help for me--indeed I've been known to puke water. It might work for you, though. I don't know. Personally, cereals/breads/bagels would be refluxed within 3 minutes with me. My gut just doesn't know what to do with these 'things.' However, that's just me.

Kate.

Yep, go see a doctor! new
      #213454 - 09/15/05 12:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You need to have it treated with meds asap. I find SF helps, but that's just me. Water is not a good idea IMHO.

#213499 - 09/15/05 07:22 AM
emily_m

Reged: 09/05/05

Definitely see a doctor. They have to see how bad it is. They'll do an upper GI to look at your esophagus. If it's mild, it's easier to treat.

Mine gastro dr. gave me Nexium, which was a life saver! I've gone off of it now. Medicine is worth it because you don't want to cause real damage to your esophagus.

Diet: no alcohol, mint, caffeine, chocolate, citrus, tomato, eat small meals, etc. I can do some citrus (no juice though) and some tomato if I'm feeling ok. Alcohol, mint, and chocolate bring it right on--even with just a small piece. There are chemicals in these foods that cause the sphincter to loosen and let acid into the esophagus.

I can eat safe foods and still have an attack. Stress, eating too much, eating the wrong foods, etc. can bring it on.

Good luck!
Emily

#213632 - 09/15/05 11:23 AM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

hey i deal with acid reflux too.. my doctor just told me to take an over the counter acid reducer.. I take 1 to 2 everyday. The one I take is just a generic acid reducer and it helps a lot. What else do you guys drink besides peppermint tea for soothing the tummy..
Cindy

#213983 - 09/16/05 11:30 PM
emily_m

Reged: 09/05/05

I like fennel tea since I can't have mint due to acid reflux.

Emily

#214027 - 09/17/05 11:28 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Doesn't it suck??? I developed acid reflux after six months on the IBS diet. Great, like I didn't have enough to worry about!

Yes, do see a doctor before it gets any worse. You can try OTC stuff for now, but it didn't do a thing for me and some of it gave me worse D. If you're already tried something like Prilosec OTC with no luck, the doctor will probably put you on a proton pump inhibitor. My personal experience was that every PPI out there except Aciphex made my D and cramping about a hundred times worse. I love Aciphex -- no side effects at all. The only problem was the $40 copay. I ended up switching to a generic. It doesn't work quite as well, but as long as I avoid acidy foods I am usually OK 95% of the time.

I have no idea what to eat that might help. Nothing helped me, but I had it pretty bad. I don't think water will help. Probably something starchy like plain potatoes or crackers. If plain bread doesn't help, food probably won't help at all, you'll probably just have to take meds.

I haven't tried club soda, but I'm pretty sure that carbonation is supposed to cause gas, not acid.

Reflux is misery! Get it treated now before it gets any worse.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2654 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 826

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review