All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Does any one else have a vegetable phobia?
      #212487 - 09/11/05 08:35 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I know I need to eat more fruits and vegetables but I am so afraid they will cause an attack. I limit myself to carrots, apple sauce, bananas and occasionly a cherry tomatoe.
I've been really good on the diet and Thank G-d have not suffered from a full blown attack for a long time, so I'm afraid to add new stuff to my diet, but I am C and bloated. I know I'm rambling but any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does any one else have a vegetable phobia? new
      #212570 - 09/12/05 07:42 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I know what you mean. I eat apple sauce, carrots, bananas, green beans, mushrooms, canned peaches, canned pears and fresh tomatoes. Once in a while, I dare to have a bit of lettuce on a sandwich.

I've begun to experiment a little, though. I had a whole peach a couple weeks ago with no ill effects. Every once in awhile, I'll have a small piece of brocolli. I used to love brocolli, but the last time I had more than a little piece...gas city. I guess my only advice is have a bite or two of something different to see how you can handle it. Just don't have a whole portion, even if it's small, because it may bite you back with an attack. (This is how I learned to stay far away from even a half cup of mandarin oranges.)

Re: Does any one else have a vegetable phobia? new
      #212627 - 09/12/05 10:12 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I have my rating scale, I confess. I think we all have our 'safe' foods and 'risky' foods. Thank goodness for my food processor--it's made vegetable consumption a breeze and SAFE (for me). Enzymes also ease my mind (and my body, too, I think) for those 'iffy' foods. Wheat scares me more than veggies. Bran scares me more than veggies. Wholegrain makes me shudder.

Kate.

i sure have one! -nt- new
      #212709 - 09/12/05 01:16 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Re: Kate new
      #212799 - 09/12/05 07:23 PM
vanillabean

Reged: 09/09/05
Loc: Mississippi

Quote:

I have my rating scale, I confess. I think we all have our 'safe' foods and 'risky' foods. Thank goodness for my food processor--it's made vegetable consumption a breeze and SAFE (for me). Enzymes also ease my mind (and my body, too, I think) for those 'iffy' foods. Wheat scares me more than veggies. Bran scares me more than veggies. Wholegrain makes me shudder.

Kate.

how do you puree all your vegetables? even ones hish in IS? I have a hard time with broccoli and those sorts of veges. do you make soups with the puree or how do you eat it ?

--------------------
~Jennifer~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
wedding date- May 20th, 2006!

#212807 - 09/12/05 07:50 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Yes Wind! I've been pureeing veggies and eating them over rice. I think I got the idea from you, actually. Between the rice as soluble fiber and the veggies all mashed up to tiny bits, it's been a great way to veggies that I definitely need into my diet.

There's been a lot of talk on here about how to do it, but a search didn't reveal much. Normally, I'd cook them on the stovetop (sometimes with part of a boulluin cube for flavor) and then puree them, using them as sauce over rice.

Re: Pureed vegetable notes new
      #212820 - 09/12/05 08:40 PM
Wind

It's rather simple, I confess. I just cook (steam or steam-fry in a minimal amount of water) and then drain and food process until 'creamy.' I'm generally not a soupy type.
A fork or spoon could literally stand up in my pureed vegetables--seriously! I was inspired to do this by a Food T.V show, "The Surreal Gourmet." It was an episode featuring "Brocco-mole" (i.e. pureed broccoli). The vegetables were presented on a painter's palatte in their colourful pureed/food processed form.

My favourites, I confess are leafy greens, i.e. baby spinach and swiss chard. Adding fresh herbs makes a huge difference.

Re: How to use these pureed vegetables? Sometimes I just eat them plain. They're great sauces, i.e. for rice/pasta/potatoes/noodles and fillings for such things as egg white omelettes/casseroles/veggie burgers/meatless loaves/mayo substitutes. They're wonderfully thick dressing/dips and bread spreads, I suppose or fillings for tortillas and stuffings for mushrooms. My favourite way to eat these things are just as a cold "salad." They're so flexible and adaptable and as I expand my menu a tad, I'm discovering how complimentary they can be.

I made a wicked broccoli puree last week--it was broccoli flowerets (frozen) and lots of fresh basil. I'm kind of hooked on making "faux-tatoes" (whipped cauliflower) as well--a favourite low-cal comfort food! I love pureed asparagus with herbs de provence and a bit of spinach and arugula or swiss chard.

www.fatfree.com has a lot of cool ideas that involve pureed veggies. One of my favourites combines green beans and spinach. You can give these purees the flavour/spices/"BAM!" or bang that suits your fancy.

It's rather like making hummus or baba ganush or whipped potatoes. Except less time consuming.

I hope that answers your questions effectively.

Kate.

You can eat canned fruit with no problem?-nt new
      #212821 - 09/12/05 08:43 PM
Casper

#212822 - 09/12/05 08:46 PM
Wind

I usually just skip the bouillion part. I steam or cook the vegetable(s) in a minimal amount of sea salted water, drain, then food process. I love to add tons of complimentary fresh herbs. The pureed vegetables end up rich and thick and creamy. A fork or spoon can stand up in these creations.

I tend to cook huge batches because truly I detest cooking.

I just favour fresh herbs to bouillion for flavourings. Often, though, I'll spice them according to my mood when I go to eat them, i.e. make the spinach 'spicy spinach.' (see recipe board for Little Minnie's recipe)

Kate.

Should I purret my produce in a blender or food processor new
      #212823 - 09/12/05 08:48 PM
Casper

or do I need to cook them first? I'm vegetably challenged. I never really liked them much before the IBS and now I totaly see them as the enemy.
I did grate a peeled zuchini into my last batch of banana bread. But that's still SFS so how can I get more IF in my diet?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 938 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11296

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review