All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Poll: rank fruit tolerances
      #211303 - 09/06/05 12:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Here is a thread for newbies to get ideas. Please rank your individual tolerance of the various fruits (vegetables to follow later).
For instance:
1. Easiest for me is bananas and mango (I don't eat papayas often)
2. then canned fruits or homemade jams etc
3. then peaches, plums and nectarines (skin on or off- they are so smooshy)
4. then berries in smaller amounts with SF first and I think pineapple would go here too and citrus fruits are pretty easy on me as well
5. then skinless apples and pears as long as they are ripe and I eat them slowly, and cherries although I eat them seldom
6. then melons and grapes are the worst. I still eat them but cannot tolerate as much as I want to eat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Poll: rank fruit tolerances new
      #211351 - 09/06/05 02:54 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

1. bananas and applesauce (I don't eat mango or papaya - not because they bother my IBS, I'm just not accustomed to the taste)
2. most other fruits I can eat (with or without skin) as long as I have SF first: melons, oranges, peaches, plums, pears, blueberries, strawberries
3. apples: without skin anytime; with skin I've only tried once - it went well but I'm not totally sure about it yet
4. I haven't tried grapes or pineapple yet

I think I'm very lucky - and perhaps unusual - in being able to eat such a wide variety of fruits. However, I was on Heather's diet for months before I tried any of them besides bananas and applesauce. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to tolerate them before I was pretty stable.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#211357 - 09/06/05 03:14 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Great thread! I'm still figuring out what and how much I can tolerate. But here's what I've learned so far:

1. bananas, applesauce, jars of baby food fruit purees (peaches, mangos)
2. canned fruit (pineapples, peaches, pears)
3. berries blended into a smoothie or soy yogurt or baked (cobblers, mixed into muffins, etc)
4. small amounts of chopped and skinless apples and pears if mixed with banana, 1/2 small orange
5. 1-2 cherries, 1 bite of watermelon, few grapes are the most I can handle. Too bad, these are some of my favorite fruits.

#211377 - 09/06/05 05:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My list will be pretty screwed up, because I tolerate just about everything, but here goes:

1. Easiest is bananas, canned peaches, canned pears, and fruit preserves of any kind. Oh yeah, and babyfood fruits, any flavor.

2. Next easiest: mango. fresh peaches, nectarines, plums - skins off. peeled apple, applesauce, and fruit desserts like cobblers or crisps, where the fruit is baked really well.

3. Berries of all kinds, pineapple, grapes, melon, cherries, unpeeled peaches/nectarines/plums/pears, and just about any other fresh fruit - a good amount of SF first or with it and I'm fine.

I never eat apples with skins on, not because they bother me, but because I don't like apple skins. (I know, I'm weird.) I also never eat oranges for the same reason - just not crazy about them. I'm sure they wouldn't bother me me, though.

#211403 - 09/06/05 06:33 PM
egriffin

Reged: 08/16/05

Boy...this really does show our differences...
1. applesauce (especially w/ a cookie ) good, as well as baked fruits
2.blueberries, strawberries...good
3.grapes, mellons, peaches, mangos, pineapple...in moderation
4.bananas...a little iffy
5. apples and oranges...no good...especially orange juice!

#211408 - 09/06/05 06:41 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I don't tolerate fruit very well, although I love it.

Kate.

#211513 - 09/07/05 08:53 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

My fruit sensativities can get really bad sometimes, but on your average day, this would be the status...
I never eat apricots or plums and only venture with peaches that are cooked (like in pie or cobler)
Other fruits I can eat if they are smashed in a smoothie or in yoghurt or cooked.
With raw fruits, I can eat mellons and a few slices of mango - if I eat too much though the fructose will get to me. I also eat dried mango and dried papaya. I can eat small amounts of pineapple.
Berries are so yummy and I love them, but if I eat more than about 6 or 8 in one sitting I will pay!
That's the basic picture...

update new
      #211617 - 09/07/05 04:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have decided to never eat grapes again. Maybe 6-8 once in a while but no more!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Oh, and I forgot... new
      #211635 - 09/07/05 06:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Dried fruit. As far as I can tell, I'm ok with it as long as I have it with SF, but I say "as far as I can tell" because I really don't like dried fruit much. I think the only thing I've had since starting the diet has been apricots, and those were fine.

#211665 - 09/07/05 11:00 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

1. Bananas! (I eat one pretty much every day)
2. soft peaches and nectarines
3. berries

I am not very adventurous as far as fruit goes, so that's pretty much it. I can't really eat apples, hard peaches, pears, or oranges. I'm kind of screwed in the fruit department once summer is over!
I do like to eat TJ's dried wild blueberries in my oatmeal, though.

--------------------
Julia

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review