All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS /Hair Question - need advice
      #210577 - 09/01/05 10:44 PM
momentarylapse

Reged: 08/11/05

hello. I have IBS and thinning hair. before i developed ibs, i was taking saw palmetto supplements, which seemed to help with my hair and didnt upset my stomach. after ibs, i was unable to tolerate the saw palmetto. does anyone have any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I also have thinning hair new
      #210602 - 09/02/05 07:00 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

but I didn't have it before IBS -- and I haven't found any answers. If you find any --- I'd be interested to know. Sorry.

Me too! new
      #210606 - 09/02/05 07:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Didn't have it before the IBS, but I find hair everywhere now...on my clothes, all over the carpet when I vacuum, on the bathroom floor... And when I wash my hair, it comes out like crazy...This is horrible.

I am also looking for suggestions. I have tried Nioxin shampoos for thinning hair, but it hasn't helped at all. And female thinning hair is not in my genes. So, it's either the diet, stress, or some unknow. I just want it to stop before I go bald.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Mine's growing like a weed, again! new
      #210644 - 09/02/05 08:56 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Finally, my hair is growing like a weed, again. Note: I literally had bald spots. What did I do? Upon the advice of my naturopath, I supplemented with Silica and increased the silica content of my diet. Do a search on silica. Also, enzymes help the absorption of the foods high in silica. I'm not kidding when I say it's miraculous.

Kate, IBS-D.

Reasons For Hair Loss new
      #210655 - 09/02/05 09:31 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There can be many causes of thinning hair, including age, diet, illness, as well as the use of hair-dye and perm products. Even some shampoos and conditioners can cause your hair to fall.

I lost a lot of my hair too, but my hair is fine now that I am able to tolerate an improved diet and now that I no longer use temporary dye rinses, but have switched to permanent hair dye that I have the hairdresser apply to my hair using foil without getting any of the dye on my scalp. DYE APPLIED DIRECTLY TO YOUR SCALP CAN CAUSE PERMANENT HAIR LOSS.

Although anything is possible, I would tend to think IBS and hair loss are not linked except for the issue of diet. If you are eating a poor diet because of your IBS and, as a result, getting few nutrients, then your hair could fall.

My Hair Is Everywhere...Its scary *gulp!*~nt~ new
      #210673 - 09/02/05 10:39 AM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Me too - Hair loss everyday.... new
      #210676 - 09/02/05 10:58 AM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I have read in places that say SSRI antidepressants can cause hair loss. Are any of you on one??

--------------------
Dana

#210678 - 09/02/05 11:10 AM
momentarylapse

Reged: 08/11/05

whats the name of the silica supplement and how much do you take? also, what kind of foods have silica? are the supplements safe for IBS?

#210683 - 09/02/05 11:32 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

hmm thats interesting.

my hair is just thin and fine.. do you think that would help thicken it up?

--------------------

I don't think it is the IBS either... new
      #210697 - 09/02/05 12:16 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I have a ton of hair and it's growing like a weed. I wish I could share some with you!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: IBS /Hair Question - need advice new
      #210707 - 09/02/05 12:51 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I take a vitamin supplement called Andrew Lessman's Healthy Hair Skin and Nails from the Home Shopping Network (hsn.com) It contains biotin and silicon and other vitamins that help your hair. I think they have really helped my hair and nails, since the IBS diet is limited on the nutrients that my hair needs, it is a good supplement. Expensive though, because biotin is not cheap. You can find cheaper versions of a similiar product, but that is because they only put a few micrograms of Biotin, whereas the Andrew Lessman brand has 2500 mcg. Plus he doesn't put any additives that would upset your stomach. Really, all of his products are a dream for an IBSers because he puts no additives and grinds every vitamin into an easily digestible powder.

#210719 - 09/02/05 01:46 PM
Wind

You could give it a 2 month trial, I suppose, and see if it makes a difference. Also, upping the silica intake in your diet might make a difference. I take the gel--it's called "Collidal Silica Gel" and available at the HFS. You can get it in capsule form as well. I think it's a combination of a diet high in silica as well as the gel.

Kate, IBS-D.

#210720 - 09/02/05 01:49 PM
Wind

Do a search re: silica for a more comprehensive list, etc. I eat a ton of spinach which is a major source.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1990 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3003

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review