All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help! Problems with Cold!
      #209879 - 08/30/05 05:38 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

My son is just getting over a cold - and now I have it!! I thought he had allergies, otherwise I would have stayed away from him. I started it yesterday and was trying to tough it out - not working! I am just way too miserable. I did a search through the posts for NyQuil and DayQuil and I see they are brought up several times. Before I take them, I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure if they cause problems with IBS? I have IBS-D, ulcerative colitis, tummy ulcers and a hyatal hernea (sp?). I follow the IBS diet strickly, so I have been doing OK for the past month or so. Yesterday when I first woke with the symptoms, I got a mild case of D with no cramps. I didn't even take anything for it and it went away on its own. Anyway - I digress - can anyone help me out with the DayQuil and NyQuil? I just sent hubby to the store for some, but I won't take it until bedtime. What do you think?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! Problems with Cold! new
      #209890 - 08/30/05 05:58 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I would have to read the ingredients to say yes or no. But many medicines that are made to taste "good" by adding artificial sweetners, so I would read the inactive ingredient list and be on the look out for words that end in "ol" (sugar alchols such as mannitol, sorbitol). There are also other artificial sweetners that don't end in "ol", but those are the most popularly used.

Also, many of the cold medicines contain citric acid which burns my stomach. But taking with food or just some bready food can help with that.

Post the ingredients, so we can look at them.

Re: Help! Problems with Cold! new
      #209939 - 08/30/05 07:26 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Sorry about that - my head is so full of snot, I can't think straight!

NyQuil LuquiCaps:

Active Ingredients (in each softgel):

Acetaminophen 325 mg (pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 15 mg (cough suppressant)
Doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg (antihistamine)
Pseudoephedrine HCl 30 mg (nasal decongestant)

Inactive Ingredients:

D&C yellow no. 10, FD&C blue no. 1, gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol special, titanium dioxide

DayQuil Liquicaps:

Active Ingredients (in each softgel):

Acetaminophen 325 mg (pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 15 mg (cough suppressant)
Pseudoephedrine HCl 30 mg (nasal decongestant)
Inactive Ingredients:

FD&C red no. 40, FD&C yellow no. 6, gelatin, glycerin, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitol special, titanium dioxide

Thanks,

Missy

Sorbitol! new
      #209999 - 08/31/05 05:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Don't touch them!

Get the meds in separate capsules and you should be okay. If you tell the pharmacist you can't have any artificial sweeteners, they'll help.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1873 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 612

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review