All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Elizabeth/big crunchy salads! new
      #210847 - 09/03/05 05:02 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I just had a big crunchy salad! I'm taking some high potency enzymes and I cannot tell you HOW MUCH I've missed those big bowls of raw leafy greens (I'm a spring mix addict), etc. I'm glad D.A. is making a difference for you. Don't be such a stranger on the boards. Your experience, your insight is valuable.
I like to use my food processor creations, steamed and grilled/roasted veggies as part of those big salads.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For the C'ers - some thoughts new
      #210855 - 09/03/05 05:47 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Digestive Advantage has been helping me too! I am glad to hear that someone else is saying that. I know some people on here have said that it has artifical sweeteners in it that are supposed to be bad for you?? But I havent had any side effects. Really I have never had a problem with artificial sweetners. What about you?

Not Elizabeth, but .... new
      #210860 - 09/03/05 06:27 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...if you read further down in the post, Elizabeh says that she still had the older version of DA which did not contain the artificial sweeteners.

She is going to order the caplets on line now, which do not contain the artificial sweetener. She is not taking the ones with mannitol and aspartame.

HTH.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Not Elizabeth, but .... new
      #210863 - 09/03/05 06:58 PM
SCgirl

Thanks, I did read down after I posted that last one. I was wondering though...how come some the artificial sweetners are that bad for you??

Re: Not Elizabeth, but .... new
      #210866 - 09/03/05 07:48 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

What do you mean in terms of "that bad for you?"

If you mean in terms of IBS, I think most of us are really sensitive to them because they are artificial and contain chemicals. I'm sure Heather has a better explanation.

As for other health issues, I think they are, in general, really bad for you because they are man-made and derived from chemicals. With what I know now, I wouldn't put them in my body even if I *could* handle them with my tummy.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Elizabeth/big crunchy salads! new
      #210867 - 09/03/05 07:50 PM
e_mcmaster

I always think of you when I am food processing something, Kate. Big thanks for introducing me to steamed & pureed greens to put in omelettes. I still eat them and they are so yummy!

Congrats on feeling so good and being able to eat again, Kate!

--------------------
Elizabeth

Artificial sweeteners are bad... new
      #210890 - 09/04/05 08:17 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Here's a link that explains Heather's thoughts on why artificial sweetenters are bad for IBS Artificial Sweeteners .

But as Elizabeth stated, they are bad for people without IBS too! Scary stuff.

HTH. I know it's a hard decision to make since the DA with artificial sweetener seems to be helping you. Maybe order them on line (without the A.S.) to be safe....just a thought. Take it or leave it!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Thank you for your reply! new
      #210895 - 09/04/05 09:34 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

you spent a lot of time doing that! I wish I knew how to use the quote feature!

It looks like you do still have some sources of SF with most of your meals (unintentionally probably) like the applesause with oatbran, carrots with your 7 grain bread (what brand do you buy), etc. And you decided to still peel your apple...have you ever tried eating the peel as an experiment? Or do you just not like the peel?

Plus, are you taking your SFS before meals during the day, that probably helps too!

Do you eat a whole wheat bagel?

Also, with your dinner, what is cukes? And how do you make your own dressing? You should post your recipes for homemade marinara and the dressing! What are zucchini ribbons?

Finally, do you always cook your veggies (besides the salad of course)!

How long have you been on Zelnorm? Mine stopped working after just a short time!

It is awesome that you have found a diet plan that works for you...that is all I really want too! Thank you so much. Pop in more often, as Wind said. You add a lot, especially for us struggling Cers!

Re: Artificial sweeteners are bad... new
      #210950 - 09/04/05 06:10 PM
SCgirl

Thanks for the info. I has heard alot about them, just not the facts. Good to know!

Re: Thank you for your reply! new
      #210962 - 09/04/05 06:45 PM
e_mcmaster

Quote:

you spent a lot of time doing that! I wish I knew how to use the quote feature!

It's really easy. Put "[qote]" (without the actual quotes!) in front and "[/qote]" behind whatever you want to appear in quotes. (actually spell it right, though)

Quote:

It looks like you do still have some sources of SF with most of your meals (unintentionally probably) like the applesause with oatbran, carrots with your 7 grain bread (what brand do you buy), etc. And you decided to still peel your apple...have you ever tried eating the peel as an experiment? Or do you just not like the peel?

Most of the time, I eat just blueberries with my oatbran. I like applesauce, but I only use a 1/4 cup, so I doubt that is much SF, but I do agree with what you're saying.

The seven grain bread is by Grant's Farm (I think) and the whole wheat bread is by Baker's Inn, but you could do lots of different ones. I do better with the seven grain because it isn't 100% whole wheat flour, whereas the Baker's Inn one is.

I haven't even thought of not peeling my apple. I do like the peel, so next time I'll probably not peel it to see.

Quote:

Plus, are you taking your SFS before meals during the day, that probably helps too!

I take my SFS in 6 doses throughout the day, which sometimes coincides with meals. Especially if I'm going to be having very little carbs with the meal.

Quote:

Do you eat a whole wheat bagel?

I haven't tried that yet - more out of love for the texture of white bagels than anything else. I will be starting to do it, though, once I can find my beloved Earth Grains WW bagels again.

Quote:

Also, with your dinner, what is cukes? And how do you make your own dressing? You should post your recipes for homemade marinara and the dressing! What are zucchini ribbons?

"Cukes" is my affectionate term for cucumbers. I don't make my own dressing - I use Annie's Organic low fat Honey Mustard, which I think is incredible. I'll post my recipe for marinara sauce later. Zucchini ribbons are an idea I got from Wind. I peel a zucchini (my personal preference) and then use the potato peeler to make "ribbons" that I drop into boiling water for like 30 seconds. They have a close enough texture to resemble thick noodles once mixed with sauce.

Quote:

Finally, do you always cook your veggies (besides the salad of course)!

No. It really depends on how I'm eating them. For example, I often make egg white omelettes with mixed baby greens (which I steam and puree into a "sauce" that I swirl in), tomatoes (which I don't cook) and zucchini chunks (which I do cook).

If it's on a salad, I don't cook it. I just finished a HUGE salad with chopped roasted chicken, tomatoes, broccoli and black bean/corn/tomato "relish." It also had a bit of tabbouleh, which I ate first, since it's my favorite.

Quote:

How long have you been on Zelnorm? Mine stopped working after just a short time!

I've been on zelnorm for about a year and a half. I think it worked fantastically for the first 6 months and then stopped working. My GI claims I should stay on it, though, and I guess I don't care enough to argue with him about it. I think it helps some.

Quote:

It is awesome that you have found a diet plan that works for you...that is all I really want too! Thank you so much. Pop in more often, as Wind said. You add a lot, especially for us struggling Cers!

Thanks! I used to be here more often, but I'm so incredibly busy with my job and going to school that I have little free time. I'll pop in when I can, though, and you all can email me anytime.

--------------------
Elizabeth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1625 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51792

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review