All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: For the C'ers - some thoughts new
      #209801 - 08/30/05 01:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think Cers get way too little IF in general. I think they are too afraid of "an attack" and that they do not take enough SFS either, having bad reactions at first. The gut has to be trained! I do think it is always a good idea to eat the IF after SF and that is the difference with this diet and others.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I am curious to know too! =) -nt- new
      #209806 - 08/30/05 01:22 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

Re: Is D.A. a probiotic? new
      #209874 - 08/30/05 05:21 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Ah, Shannon, emotionally I wouldn't be young again for all the (decaf) tea in China, but what I'd give to be young again physically! If I'd had 5 glasses of wine last night, I probably wouldn't have woken up at all today!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Amen to this observation! new
      #209898 - 08/30/05 06:18 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Ditto that! SF is the *only* way I can get the IF I need - I've tried having IF alone without a SF buffer, and within two weeks I get more C (and crampy) than ever. Now that I make sure that every meal has both (unless I'm feeling nauseated or gone over to the dark side of D), I am pretty darn regular. Admittedly, there's also hypno, probiotics, and loads of peppermint tea (and no trigger foods) helping things along, but it's the regular SF + IF that is really key.

--AC

#209928 - 08/30/05 07:01 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I totally agree about the IF for C'ers. These past two weeks have been really bad for me because I am back to work at out of a routine for going to the bathroom. I have been very C the last two weeks even taking my Acacia. Today I ate a whole apple minus the skin after lunch and then ate a peach for a snack later on. It got things moving some without cramping. I sometimes forget how much I need the salads and fruits to help me. Now that I have been doing this almost a year I am trying to add a few things back into my diet and see if I do well with it. I might have to try that D.A. I have heard lots of good things about it.

I think Elizabeth is suggeting a diet different from Heather's? new
      #209948 - 08/30/05 07:44 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I read her post as she was doing better before she went on this IBS diet? Just eating lots of IF food and not necessarily the Sf buffers. Am I wrong?

Elizabeth, are you eating high fiber cereals (Raisin Bran, or 11 grams fiber cereal, only whole wheat breads, whole grains and tons of fruits and veggies (skin and all) without the SF buffers?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Just a reminder about D.A. new
      #209950 - 08/30/05 07:47 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It does contain Aspartame and Mannitol in case you believe those need to be avoided. Having said that, I think after reading SC and Elizabeth's reaction to DA, I might try it. I'd rather have some increased cramps and bloating than the constipation. Constipation increases the bloat, cramps, and pain anyhow.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#209990 - 08/30/05 10:35 PM
beeceedee

Reged: 03/30/04
Loc: SoCal

I also agree about the IF and pro/pre-biotics. Both have really made a difference for me. A few months ago, after reading in another digestive-focused diet, I switched back to my Ezekiel 4:9 bread, which is actually sprouted grains, not whole wheat, and I feel so much better! I have also been enjoying lots of veggies. I usually try to eat something that is SF first thing still, like Heather's diet says, but I have increased the ratio of SF to If. I have been getting pre-biotics from different fermented foods too, and that has been really helping with the bloating and 'C'. I can always go back to all SF if things get out of hand, and I need to stabilize.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

-Brandy

--------------------
Mostly Stable - sometimes "C"

Re: I think Elizabeth is suggeting a diet different from Heather's? new
      #209993 - 08/31/05 01:56 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I don't know... it just seems to *me* like she's suggesting more IF, not necessarily something different than Heather's diet. Maybe I'm wrong though, of course - I guess it all depends on whether or not you're having SF first/with every meal etc, Elizabeth.

I do think that a lot of people need to get more IF and are kind of freaked out by it and don't eat enough of it etc. I remember a thread a while back, can't remember what it was about, but people were saying how much IF they eat - I was shocked to find that (as a D) I eat more IF than some of the C people on here! And obviously, IF is way more important for C people. Just my thoughts

Brandy new
      #210265 - 08/31/05 06:23 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Are you doing the Maker's Diet? It sounds like it.

When you eat Ezekiel bread (which does contain sprouted wheat), do you eat a white piece first...or how do you get your SF beforehand? What SF foods do you eat before meals? It sounds like you eat more IF than SF, am I correct?

And finally, what fermented foods do you eat and how do they help? Aren't they pretty gassy? Are fermented foods considered prebiotics?

Do you take a probiotic supplement?

Thanks for all your help.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 530 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review