All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Feel extremely lost . .
      #209054 - 08/27/05 07:57 AM
ChristytheBirdrr

Reged: 08/27/05
Loc: Indiana

I was recently diagnosed with IBS after all the clinical tests came up negative. When I think back I have had problems since childhood but now they are more severe. As an additional option, I went to someone who tested my blood with various foods and have a rather extensive list of things I shouldn't eat. Basil, beet sugar, black pepper, clove and kidney beans are the worst. Tea, honey, buttermilk, wheat, pork, peaches, mustard and most of my favorite spices are second and brewers yeast, blue & swiss cheese, and cane sugar are the least bad for me. In addition he wants me stay off of all dairy products for the next six weeks and then wants to put me on a high protein diet. I have lost over 20 pounds which is good because I am quite over weight. Somebody please tell me how you can eat without wheat, dairy and cane sugar which is in almost everything. In addition to not having basil, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, sage, black pepper and clove. This has put such a strain on me and my marriage and is beginning to effect my job. In addition to working full time, I will be taking another college course starting next week and I'm not even close to knowing what to do about food. I'm eating rice products, oatmeal, home-made quacamole,chicken broth and chicken. My question at this point is should I give any merit to the food testing? Has anyone else had this done. I feel rather overwhelmed with information right now, ie. (eat for your blood type, eat according to food intolerance testing or eat according to Heather). I'm just beginning to read Heather's books and when I looked over the receipes I can see that I will need to adjust a lot of them if I follow my food sensitivity test. I just feel so lost and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Feel extremely lost . . new
      #209063 - 08/27/05 08:46 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Christy! I'm sorry you're having so many problems. I think we can all relate here. As for the food testing, I think it's a good guideline, but I don't think blood tests are 100% accurate. Staying away from dairy is always a good idea, which you'll see if you read Heather's dietary guidelines. But as for the sugar, wheat, etc. I would recommend trying elimination diets to see how these effect you. For example, you may want to try giving up JUST wheat for 2 weeks and see how your body feels after that. If it's better, you'll know that's one thing that bothers you. Then you can try the same thing with cane sugar, etc. Personally, I don't think my blood tests were totally accurate. They came back saying I had a moderate wheat allergy, but wheat is pretty much the safest thing for me to eat! I eat it constantly and have my IBS mainly under control. It did say I had a peanut allergy also, however, and I discovered that peanuts did indeed bother me. Overall, I think blood tests are a good starting point, but you need to figure out what feels best for your body. I hope that helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Who did this testing? new
      #209065 - 08/27/05 09:03 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

What is a doctor? Or a mail in company like York or Enterolabs?

In other words, was it reputable and how did they test you? Also, food allergies are different from intolerances. Did they test you for the allergy or for the intolerance?

Your list of foods seems a bit long. I read where the average results usually include about 8 foods/spices.

I know others have had the food intolerance tests done, so maybe they could weigh in on whether theire results correlated with what they experience with actually eating the foods. But weekends tend to be slow, so you may have to bump your question up again on Monday if you don't get much of a response.

I am also curious as to whether the testing would help me.I am thinking of going through York Laboratories, but they charge 400 dollars! I also know a lady who does testing by putting sensors on your fingers. But she only charges 70 dollars. She is quite popular though, as it takes about 4 months to get an appointment with her, so someone must believe in this.

I know Amy and Isabel had the Vega test new
      #209072 - 08/27/05 09:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

for food intolerances. They eliminated the foods that the tests said were harmful for them, yet they didn't feel any better. Both of them gave it up. Shel Mello, though, did have some testing done and I believe she said it helped. Linz did test too, I think . Maybe they can share their experience/opinions with you.

Here's a link to the one Sharon posted. food testing . Here's one with Linz's comments testing . And here's a few more! third one and finally, web page
I too, am thinking of doing the York test because I am unable to identify anything on my own...but I'm afraid it may cause me to eliminate too many foods that may be okay for me, if the test is not reliable. I have read pretty good things about York and Enterolabs. But again, I don't have 400 dollars to waste. But I've already wasted tons on supplements that don't work!

I just wish we knew for sure that the tests were valid!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I know Amy and Isabel had the Vega test new
      #209095 - 08/27/05 11:33 AM
ChristytheBirdrr

Thanks for responding Augie. I appreciate any and all input!

#209098 - 08/27/05 11:45 AM
ChristytheBirdrr

Thanks Kree for sharing your experience. I love wheat but stopped eating it after I visited the local health food store to see what I could do for my issues. That was their first response - to try going off wheat so I haven't had any since the beginning of July. My concern with my test was the many pages of questions this chiropractor had me answer and whether some of the information given back to me was based on those answers or actual blood/food intolerance testing, (which they sent out to a lab). I guess I will have to eat the way I am - God help me maintain my health - and add those things one at a time and see what happens. Right now I'm taking a veggie enzyme, acedolphilus, and liquid aloe to keep my gut from being so bad. It works until I eat something that doesn't agree and then my system gets real empty. I have to say that so far this is one of the most miserable things I've been through and obviously I have work to do.

Re: Who did this testing? new
      #209100 - 08/27/05 11:55 AM
ChristytheBirdrr

A chiropractor's office did the testing. They have been into nutrition for going on 23 years now. I paid more than $400 though. I had a chem profile done as well which showed a lot. A lot of areas that are bad because of not eating properly - - who wants to eat under these circumstances. I think my food list may be higher because I had just been very ill and my body was really out of balance chemically. I just don't know. Bye the way, how do you bump up your message? This is my first time using the board.

Re: Who did this testing? new
      #209132 - 08/27/05 04:03 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Bye the way, how do you bump up your message? This is my first time using the board.

Welcome to the Boards. To bump your message, create a reply to your own original post and put "Bump -nt-" in the subject and no text in the body of the post itself. Posting a reply to a post pops it up to the top of the queue where it will be seen more easily. The "-nt-" means there's no text, just a subject line.

As for your situation generally, I'm very big on picking one guru and trying his or her approach full out. Combining approaches never works for me. Obviously, I think Heather's approach is the best for IBS because it has worked beautifully for me.

Are you IBS-C (constipation predominant), IBS-D (diarrhea predominant), IBS-A (alternating between constipation and diarrhea), or IBS-P (pain predominant)? Sounds nosy, I know, but there are some differences in recommendations like more IF for Cs, Immodium for Ds, and so on.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#209136 - 08/27/05 04:07 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there--I have IBS & celiac disease...so I hear you about the no wheat thing! It's really tough, and I still have so many triggers, but the best thing I have found is that many brands of gluten free items are also dairy free. A lot fo the brands are really great about being all allergen free. SO check out places that carry gluten free food, or look online. They are really good about labeling and some of it isn't half bad! Hope that helps, as a fellow no wheat-no dairy...I get sick of rice and chicken as well!

--------------------
IBS-A

Aly? new
      #209161 - 08/27/05 06:15 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Which Gluten Free bread brands do you find the best and the safest?

I was following a GF diet and I had a hard time finding GF bread that was also IBS safe.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Amy here (waves in embarrassment): new
      #209322 - 08/28/05 09:33 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi everyone. Sorry I've been really slack lately. I've actually been a little okay on my anti deps and a few other sups and am trying desperately to get over my "food phobia's" so I've just been taking a bit of a break to stop obsessing over food.
About food intolerance. You can have some weird and strange tests done but whether any of them actually help is another matter. You can read all about my initial vega testing here however the only way to really know for sure is to go through an elimination diet. I have some info on food intolerance here and also here. Okay, hope this helps and sorry to be such a stranger to you all

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review