All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is TVP Safe?
      #208941 - 08/26/05 04:11 PM
kristaIBS

Reged: 08/09/05

I have been recently reading about the benefits and dangers of soy products. I drink organic soy milk, which I know is important and safe...I think. However, I was reading on a site that TVP should be avoided and is not safe...something to do with the processing of it makes it carcinogenic. Can anyone enlighten me? I am relatively new to this soy stuff.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is TVP Safe? new
      #208991 - 08/26/05 06:57 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I love TVP. I've used it in sloppy joes, veggie burgers, and chili with no problem. As a matter of fact, the sloppy joe recipe was Heather's, so it must be safe!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Is TVP Safe-Heather Any Info? new
      #209090 - 08/27/05 11:24 AM
kristaIBS

Yes, I use it almost every day as well with no problems...it's just that I have been reading a lot about how there is something about the way that it is processed that may make it unsafe for consumption. Heather, can you shed any light into this subject?

Re: Is TVP Safe-Heather Any Info? new
      #209112 - 08/27/05 02:23 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I can't speak for Heather but she does use TVP quite a bit in her recipes and cookbooks.

what is TVP? new
      #209115 - 08/27/05 02:48 PM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

#209121 - 08/27/05 03:23 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

This got me curious so I did some looking around online. Let me say first off I was pretty skeptical, so maybe I'm a little biased here, but... I did find a few sites that said the fluid tofu is soaked in to produce tvp can produce a carcinogen. Didn't say whether we ingest that or not, if it's enough to be harmful and frankly, the sites didn't assure me with their credibility. One was from a group that says people shouldn't eat any soy and advocates for drinking of raw milk (which is good way to get TB and other risks). And another advocated drinking 13 different kinds of juices a day to cure cancer. Nothing from the FDA or Dept. of Health and Human Services said tvp was dangerous (there are letters to them on the sites talking about it from the groups I mentioned, but I didn't see anything from the fda or health dept.)

And I don't know too much about this, but aren't carcinogens present in other things we eat too? Like processed and smoked meats? You hear studies all the time about how those lead to cancer.

Re: what is TVP? new
      #209122 - 08/27/05 03:33 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

textured vegetable protein. It's a substitute for ground meat. And so far I haven't seen any legitimate claims against its safety whatsoever.

#209206 - 08/28/05 07:55 AM
kristaIBS

Yes, that's kind of what I thought too. I think I wanted a little reassurance, considering that I eat TVP nearly every day!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3839 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1315

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review