All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Try this one gals new
      #208948 - 08/26/05 04:45 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

this tea is 100% herbal, totally caffeine free, totally safe and tastes just like the real thing. Celestial Seasonings

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ashely, me too new
      #208949 - 08/26/05 04:52 PM
Augie

When I have days off of work, like the weekend, I have much better bowel days. I am usually C all week and then usually go on Saturday when I can relax, sleep in, and wake up to my bodies natural schedule. Makes for a very long and painful week. The C got really bad when I went from working my PT job (which started at 1 pm, so I could still sleep in and relax in the morning) to going FT where I am awakened, startled, at 6:45 am to the sound of an alarm clock.

I want to stay working FT, but my tummy and Bowels like the no work, later starting time schedule. I know exactly what you are talking about and would love some advice on this myself!

What are you going to study in school? where ya going to go? Good for you!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: hi there! new
      #208965 - 08/26/05 05:37 PM
sdan49

Reged: 08/24/05
Loc: SE USA

Well, Ashley -- as you can see I am 56 and still trying to find the right foods. Since you are C and I am D, I don't know if what I have learned would be of much help for you. I have never known what it's like to be really constipated, but I've been married for 27 years to a lady who is all the time. So I know it's no fun. Stress reduction is key for me. Regular exercise, lots of water, plenty of sleep. Along with everything else I have sleep apnea, and cannot tolerate the C-PAP machine, so I don't get real good sleep very often. Anyway, this website has more and better information than any I have yet found, and I worked in the healthcare industry for almost 30 years. Many doctors still think IBS is "just in the mind". I learned as a child that any stress made my situation with diarrhea worse, and it still does. Although I have now retired, I still have lots of stress as my only child, a girl just two years younger than you, just left home for her first year of college and her Dad (that's me) is really missing her!! Plus there are a lot of bills. But still, my advice would be to really study this website, especially Heather's links and tips. She is very knowledgeable about IBS, and her links to other sites and studies are worth reading. I think most here would agree that perhaps you need a fiber supplement, too. Try the Benefiber -- that's the one I am taking now. Check out Heather's "IBS Cheat Sheet". There is good advice there for "instant" treatment.

Re: hi there! new
      #208968 - 08/26/05 05:45 PM
sdan49

Reged: 08/24/05
Loc: SE USA

Ashley----here's the link to the page for Heather's Cheat Sheet...http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/cheatsheet.asp

oh thanks! new
      #208986 - 08/26/05 06:50 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey thanks for the ultra-fast reply its really a shame to hear that most doctors still think of it as a mind issue. especially when there are more and more cases of IBS and related symptoms popping up! i actually had a doctor, [i think this one was the fourth i had seen in my ongoing search for answers and remedies] who was so frustrated with the long process to diagnos me [w/IBS] that he gave me a box of laxatives [dulcolax--too addicting] and recommended i continue taking it for "relief". well i dont know that you could call that relief. weeks passed as i took them and he only encouraged me to take more when the effect began wearing off. it was really sad--and when i read some of the posts on here, it makes me feel sad that this problem hasnt yet been recognized to the extent that it deserves. also as a vegan, its a wonder how more practitioners havent made the connection between harmful foods and the digestive track [and im not just talking the RED-FLAGGED foods on heathers stay-away-from list] ie: foods with presservatives and chemicals, etc.

when i first came across this site and learned about the safe/cautious food groups, i was shocked at some of the stuff i used to eat that i had then considered safe. i agree that this site is very helpful but i think i come here more for the nice friends and support. ive kind of veered off heathers diet and kept to my own vegan one, still eating safely of couse but just not so reserved about my foods. coming here really makes dealing with my health issue alot easier b/c i can literally see that im not alone. its hard to feel anything but alone when you read statistics and numbers about people who also have the same sickness as you. its just too impersonal and cold. but here is great--i really like coming here thanks again for the link! dont worry, my dad was the same way when i was starting school too hang in there!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

quick thing for you.. new
      #209000 - 08/26/05 07:23 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey beth-->im gonna go for a 2-year associates degree in art--and i want to study photography. ive already set up my classes for the next 2 years and aside from the general courses like math and science, my remaining classes are electives that i get to pick and i chose most of the photo classes offered as well as some writing classes and a shakespeare class! im really excited to take those ones but in order to get there i need to get the boring ones out of the way oh well! im a little nervous to start though b/c the only thing stopping me is myself. i have to put my first foot forward but my parents have always been there to help me but since their divorce, its been kind of hard. like---im not in school now and i should be and for some reason its okay with my parents that im not. its wierd--but yah. you live in chicago dont you?? are you in school? i only want to do 2 years so i can have a degree. i have more things i want to do myself then for companies and stuff so i dont really want to be in school that long. i actually want to travel and photograph in europe after i get my degree. i also really want to paint.

hey beth i want to ask you something. my friend jessica, she posts on here as jessica28, said in an email to me that it would be cool if there was a message board on this site for suffering/recovering anorexics with constipation. i was writing to her about my troubles with food and i really liked that idea! alot of times i feel really wierd things about weight and body image and stuff and want to post it here but i dont want all the other ladies to get upset. i think it would be a really great idea to have a board like that. do you think heather would make one if enough people asked?? hit me back! later

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: quick thing for you.. new
      #209019 - 08/26/05 08:15 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Ashley/Beth... sorry to butt in I'm not a recovering anorexic, but I just wanted to say that I think your idea for a board devoted to those topics is a really good one. You should definitely suggest it to Heather - I'm sure she'd be really open to it

Thanks, Beth. I've seen that and wondered if it was any good. -nt- new
      #209069 - 08/27/05 09:34 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Ashely, me too new
      #209075 - 08/27/05 09:48 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

When I have days off of work, like the weekend, I have much better bowel days. I am usually C all week and then usually go on Saturday when I can relax, sleep in, and wake up to my bodies natural schedule. Makes for a very long and painful week.

Augie, I'm TOTALLY the same way. My first year of teaching was not a fun one for my C. I also do best when I can sleep in, sip some hot tea/soy coffee, and relax and let my bowels do their thing. During the school year I was the same as you, I wouldn't go all week long most weeks and then would be unable to plan early morning things on weekend because I NEEDED that time to get my bowels moving again. It really stinks, and it's the main reason I'm not looking forward to the start of the new school year in a little over a week! There goes my quasi-regularity.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Hey Kree new
      #209077 - 08/27/05 10:01 AM
Augie

Not you too! If you come up with a solution let us know! I thought my bowels would eventually adjust to the new wake up time, but after 9 months, nothing! I was C all week, and this morning I slept until 10 am...off and on...and when I got up I had the biggest BM! Guess it was a weeks worth!

What are we going to do? Can't give up our day jobs, but this is crazy!

I have a baptism tomorrow and I am actually thinking of skipping it because I don't want to give up my Sunday morning slow wake up/bathroom routine! I would need to get up and drive a distance so early! Isn't that horrible!

I don't eat any more IF on the weekends or anything else differently than during the week....it's just that ability to sleep in, relax, drink my herbal tea, and it the best! The weekends I don't have the BM, I know I'm in serious trouble because if it doesn't happen on the weekend, it ain't gonna happen all week! I feel cheated out of my weekend BM! This is so sad and embarrassing to admit!
The life of an IBS-C!

I love being able to eat white rice (and other foods that tend to constipate me) on the weekend because I tend to avoid them all week! So, Sat and Sundays are white rice, and banana days!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3729 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15843

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review