All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
From C to D all of a sudden
      #20806 - 09/15/03 07:37 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

After a year and a half of C, my body has decided to switch to D. This all started a little over a week ago. Saturday night I went to a dinner party and as soon as I finished my plate and put my fork down, my stomach was cramping. The downstairs bathroom door doesn't lock, so I ran upstairs furiously trying to find another bathroom. I barely made it in time! Now more D today. Just when you think you have this IBS thing figured out, it's something different. Ugh!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: From C to D all of a sudden new
      #20815 - 09/15/03 09:30 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I go through that, BL. Sometimes I'll go 1-2 weeks of straight D no matter what I do to prevent it. I always seem to go back to C at the end, though.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#20817 - 09/15/03 09:58 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

BL,
So sorry for your trouble with D.
Believe me I know how it is, seems my IBS keeps changing on me also, What was a safe food yesterday isn't today .
Warm Mint tea helps me and I carry imodium with me when ever I leave the house.
Hang in there.
Paintlady

Re: So sorry... new
      #20821 - 09/15/03 11:55 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

... this had happened to me before too. I am IBS C but sometimes will have D attacks. The last memorable (ha, ha)one was when we went out for dinner for my husbands birthday. I ordered something I thought was safe but stupidly didn't check the exact ingredients with the restaurant.

Needless to say it took me about a week to get back to normal (or what I call normal anyway).

Since then I have been over cautious about what I eat!

Hope you feel better soon.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#20825 - 09/16/03 03:41 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey BL - sorry you're not feeling well.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with your excitement/stess/anxiousness with starting the new job? Also, I can't remember for sure, but didn't you post you starting taking a new med recently? Maybe, if that was you, that is causing it? Just a couple of thoughts......

Hope you start feeling better soon.

#20833 - 09/16/03 05:35 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Hi BL, I have sympathy. For me the only time I have attacks of D is when I get anxious. It always seems to be the least convenient, MOST embarrassing situations. If I know a restroom is not readily available, guess what, D. I just got my notice for jury duty in the mail. Talk about a difficult IBS situation. I postponed it the full allowable amount of time, one year. I guess I will worry about that one later. artist

It probably is just stress new
      #20841 - 09/16/03 07:15 AM
BL

from starting this new job, trying to get my new contacts adjusted, and we had an emergency with our little beagle this weekend. We came home to find her with her eye swollen shut! It was as huge as a golf ball---and we had no idea why. (These things always happen on a Sunday when the vet is closed.) We can't figure out if something in the backyard stung or bit her or if she bumped into something. I gave her several doses of Benadryl and it's almost back to normal, but not before I lost sleep over it and worried about her all day at work yesterday.(Of course, I had to be at work early yesterday and I fretted over whether to go in late ---yikes, my first time to help the manager open the shop---or leave Bitsy at home and hope for the best! I was scared to look at her eye when I got home from work, but it looks much better. If it's not my kids giving me grey hairs, it's my beagles!!! Ha! (I'm not kidding when I say Sundays are back luck for us when it comes to our beagles. Our other beagle ate a poisonous plant on a Sunday afternoon and almost died. Several days and $800 later, he was released from the emergency clinic. Our other beagle had horrible blood clots pouring from his nose and had to be taken there on a Sunday afternoon too.)

Re: It probably is just stress new
      #20852 - 09/16/03 10:11 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Yeah I guess you have just a little stress!

Poor puppy...I hope she's okay. My dog does the same to me. I think she takes after me with being accident prone! And of course....always when the vet is closed! Once she did something to her eye where she wouldn't even open it, and we cancelled going to a party - it was on Saturday evening after the vet had closed and wouldn't be open again till Monday. But, luckily she ended up okay.

Hopefully if it is stess causing it, in a couple of days/weeks you'll settle in to your job and feel more comfortable - and if the beagles and kids stay out of trouble - and you can see if you feel better.

Let us know how you make out.

#20904 - 09/16/03 01:56 PM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

BL-

So sorry you are feeling bad. I have heard this stuff can go from one extreme to the other. You might have C for years then change to D and vice versa, but hopefully this is just a tempoary bout and you will be back on track in a few days. So sorry about little puppy, I hope she is feeling better too!!!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

#21114 - 09/18/03 09:24 AM
mlambers

Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: MI

Sorry to hear you are feeling bad. Through the years I have discovered my problematic foods and eliminated them from my diet (mine keep changing too When I was formally diagnosed with IBS-D, my doctor told me to "just relax and don't stress about things". Easier said than done:) At the time, I worked full time, went to college after work, was building a house, was getting married, along with everything else. I have made several changes to my lifestyle and try to not worry because worrying will not change anything that hasn't happened. I also realized I am human and can only do so much. Also, I always try to stay busy. If I am not thinking about something else, I will usually start dwelling on when my last BM was, then things start happening:( These changes have really helped me. I know it is hard to implement them into your life...I frequently "fall off the wagon" and have to remember to get back on. Hope you are feeling better soon.

#21266 - 09/19/03 06:23 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

I think D that swings back and for to C is the hardest to deal with--you just never know what to expect. The D always catches you by surprise because last you knew you were C, and then you add another horribly embarrassing story to your list of humiliating situations. Been asked lately for your "Most Embarrassing Moment"? I think those of us with this IBS have a long list! I also always carry Immodium, Levsin, and never skip my Citrucel and tons of water. Hope you're stabilized by now and that this was just an isolated incident.

I never thought I'd be thankful for C.... new
      #21319 - 09/20/03 07:07 PM
BL

but this weekend I was. My husband and I went to Savannah, Georgia for a college visit with our son. They wanted to walk all over the historic district where all the shops and restaurants were. We were miles away from our car (not much parking in that area!) when they decided they wanted to eat at one of the seafood restaurants there along the riverwalk. Most of these places are in restored historic buildings. You get the picture----usually one bathroom per place and sometimes it was tucked in a hard to find place or even upstairs! My stomach was just cramping thinking about it. (I normally have C, but have been having D recently after eating out). I was so nervous---I tried hard to relax, drank lots of Citrucel, and PRAYED hard for a little good luck. I ate as safely as I could. I was never so happy to make it safely back to the hotel! Then today we were shuffled around on buses to see the campus (one was a 45-minute ride). I was so nervous but did ok. Then the 4-hour ride home in the car, which really made me nervous on those long interstate stretches with no exits. All I could think of was me jumping out of the car and running into the buahes, much to the embarrassment of my 17-year-old son. Whew! For once, I was content to have C! My beagles sure were glad to see me. It's good to be home.

#21325 - 09/20/03 08:28 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I hope you are feeling better soon. This exact thing happened to me about a few weeks ago. It was a combination of stress and eating too many Starburst candies. I had to eat really basic...bread, applesauce, rice and bananas for three days and take a ton of Immodium. My dr. also suggested tea with sugar to help the bowel better absorb water. Anyway, hope you are feeling better soon.
leah

Re: I never thought I'd be thankful for C.... new
      #21394 - 09/22/03 07:33 AM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Ah, the joy of roadtrips with IBS. And, they all wonder why we want to stay home! I'm glad you made it through and that it was a C weekend, rather than the alternative.

#21398 - 09/22/03 09:17 AM
mlambers

Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: MI

I, too, carry Immodium everywhere. A word to the wise...Immodium tells you to take after your first BM. One time I wasn't feeling well and we had to leave in a hurry so I took an Immodium tablet without a BM. Big mistake:)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1443 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1977

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review