All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Am I sabatoging my own best efforts by smoking ?
      #208038 - 08/24/05 08:01 AM
rob n

Reged: 08/18/05
Loc: WA

I am trying so hard to eat the right things and do what I need to do to feel well, but something is not working. Yesterday I took the entire day off, a rest and re-group day. I only ate foods I have found safe, and had lots of small portions rather than going hours without. Leisurely exercise walking and canoeing, lots of reading (just got The First Year) and meditation. A great day!
Then late evening it started. Lots of sinus (I guess) drainage, salivating even though not eating, and loud boiling- gut noises. Wake after only 4 hrs sleep with boiling, gas, minor bloating and pain. Fennel tea and oatmeal somewhat soothing, but still feeling crummy.
I have told my doc that quite often my IBS thing starts this way. Was honest with him about my smoking (12-18 per day). He was not familiar with this drainage/salivating instant IBS symptom thing. Yep, I know the smoking is bad. I've given up soooo many things (foods and harmful habits) these last few months. What now? Reducing smoking does'nt seem to help. Think I'm in denial? Do some of you have similar start to symptoms or am I just wierd?
Feeling very frustrated and sleep deprived, don't mean to be whiny. Thanks

--------------------
Robert IBS-D 6 Yrs

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Am I sabatoging my own best efforts by smoking ? new
      #208042 - 08/24/05 08:19 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Robert. I don't think I've welcomed you yet--so WELCOME! I'm glad to see the diet has been helping you and that you were able to have a really good day. I hope you have many more.

I'm not a smoker, but I don't want to be preachy or judgmental. It is difficult to give up so many things even when you know you're doing the right thing. I'm also IBS-D, but don't experience similar symptoms (drainage, saliva) prior to an attack. However, I think you'd have to completely quit smoking, not just reduce the amount, in order to see a dramatic improvement in symptoms. Because it's a GI stimulant this would explain an increase in saliva and as an irritant that would explain the sinus drainage. Now, not looking at the chemicals that make it an irritant, I would think the act of smoking itself--sucking in air and such--would be what's causing the gut noises. I was looking through past newsletter articles and here's one How Smoking Hurts Your Gut.

Also, at the bottom of the article there's a list of the "Seven Sneaky Sins of the IBS Diet"--I don't think you can find it in The First Year: IBS but it's very useful information about the details of the diet. HTH!

Well.... new
      #208043 - 08/24/05 08:20 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

To be totally honest, I have no idea. I DO know that I get awful IBS attacks when I have a cold or when my allergies are acting up, because of the sinus drainage - so that might be coming into play. I also know that some people ARE triggered by smoke (being around smokers, being in a smoky bar, etc), so that really might be coming into play as well - it wouldn't be completely unheard-of.

But maybe some smokers will weigh in on this one... just by law of statistics, there's gotta be a few around.

#208831 - 08/26/05 11:48 AM
Maye

Reged: 11/27/04
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

I'm a smoker, but an infrequent one. I can go days without smoking, then get with a group of friends and smoke a pack in an evening. I haven't noticed that the smoking causes any extra ill effects, but I am also usually having a drink or two when smoking so who knows? I also know that alcohol is a big no-no on the diet, but I find it relaxes me and minimizes my symptoms (unless I go hog wild and then I pay!)
I don't think that merely cutting back on cigarettes will be enough. It may take a couple weeks or more of complete abstaining before you can decide if your symptoms are smoke-related or not. I completely understand where you are coming from. It seems we have to give up so much, and now this too!?!
Good luck with whatever you decide to try.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------
IBS D

#209036 - 08/26/05 09:49 PM
rob n

Reged: 08/18/05
Loc: WA

Thanks for the article link Maria! Very convincing material on the harm caused by ( not to mention the semi-sanity of )inhaling poison. Did a search and somehow missed this one. I'm printing it out and posting in my major smoking places, car and office so I,m forced to think about what I'm doing every time I fire one up. Robert

--------------------
Robert IBS-D 6 Yrs

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1327 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review