All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
For all IBS-C Benefiber users!
      #207561 - 08/22/05 04:59 PM
kristaIBS

Reged: 08/09/05

I was wondering how much Benefiber all C'ers take. I am currently taking 2 tablespoons/day, and am wondering if this is enough. Any input?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For all IBS-C Benefiber users! new
      #207739 - 08/23/05 08:48 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I take Fiber Choice Chewables 3 times a day as each tablet is equivelant to 4 grams of fiber. You don't need to take it with water either but I do. I find it to work really well and it has a great taste. I haven't tried the new flavors yet. I too suffer from "C" as well. Heidi

#207765 - 08/23/05 10:13 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

If I'm reading the package correctly, 2 tbsp powder = 6 grams = 12 caplets (I take the caplets). I've been at 9 caplets a day (4.5 g) and will up to 12 this week. I've been doing good on 9, I think I'll do better on 12.

The real question is---how do you feel? Do you feel it's been helping? Dosage probably differs with each person.

--------------------

#208109 - 08/24/05 10:10 AM
kristaIBS

Thanks for responding. As for how I feel...I am not sure. It seems that when I up the dosage, I see results, but that seems to wean off as I get used to that dosage. So I am wondering how high I will have to go, and will I ever reach a dosage that will show consistant results, or will I be forever upping the amount. So, as you can tell...I am a little perplexed on this one. That's why I wanted to see the amount that works for others.

#208168 - 08/24/05 12:31 PM
epa_ginger

How long have you been on it and how often have you increased it? I'd say you can work your way up to the max (check the bottle, I can't remember). When you say you "get used to it" do you mean that you are constipated again?

--------------------

#208258 - 08/24/05 05:40 PM
kristaIBS

yes, by get used to it, I mean C. on the other hand, I do think it is making a difference-i have almost stopped taking zelnorm but am doing well!

Ginger?? new
      #225419 - 11/16/05 12:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How's the benefiber working for you now? How many grams fiber are you up to? Have you found a good amount for your body yet?

I can't believe you can poop on only 4.5 grams! I'm up to 13.5 and I still ain't going!

Oh, did you ever try restarting that probiotic that you stopped at the same time you stopped the Acacia? I forget which probiotic you were taking. Or is Benifiber your only supplement? No digestive enzymes or anything else?

PS. weather today is horrid, isn't it!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Weather is nasty! new
      #225462 - 11/16/05 01:44 PM
epa_ginger

I thought I was mentally prepared for the (gulp) snow, but I wasn't! Only a few flakes here downtown though...

as for Benefiber, I think I MAY up it to 5 pills at a time. Geez that seems like a lot. I've got the powder too, but for some reason, I didn't like it as much. No patience maybe? But all in all, I'm doing pretty good, and going pretty regularly. Maybe I get enough fiber in my diet to account for the low dosage?

I've thought about taking the probiotic, but I'm kind of afraid! I guess I could always do a "test" week and see how it goes. if nothing happens right away, that would be fine. but if gas and bloating got bad again, I'd quit. Maybe after the holidays...

Also, I just had blood work done yesterday morning to test for thyroid levels. My doctor said I've got some of the classic symptoms: feeling cold, tiredness (I've had mega bouts of near exhaustion for NO reason), constipation. My mom and dad both have underactive thyroid. But I haven't gained a ton of weight, only 5-6 lbs over the last year, and I can't definitively say it's beyond my control (as in, underactive thyroid). But we'll see. It would be great if I could help my thyroid and alleve the constipation too!!

--------------------

#225541 - 11/16/05 06:18 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm IBS-D, and I take 4-6 tbsp./day (i.e. an average of 15g/day of SF).

I don't know if that's helpful.

Kate.

#225545 - 11/16/05 06:28 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Ok, that does it!

Stable Able until the tegretol and now I am as C as Could Be.

I'm even having Hemms and going DAYS at a time without any action at ALL!

So...I am starting benefiber tonight! 1tsp here I go...

I'll let you know how this goes!!!

Thanks sooo much for the inspiration everyone!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 561 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review