All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Non-Gi complaints w/ IBS
      #207536 - 08/22/05 03:56 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I don't see anyone mentioning fatigue w/ IBS unless they also have fibro. ISOT, and found this list of Non GI complaints more common in IBSers, but I didn't really get a good idea of how many folks currently posting here would list fatigue as one of their IBS symptoms. It's definitely a problem for me since I was first diagnosed with IBS, and I've had all the bloodwork and tests (repeatedly) to rule out anemia, thyroid problems, inflammation etc. I'm healthy, just very tired at times.

Here's the list of complaints if you don't want to clicky-click on the link:

In the new UNC digest newletter they list 26 non gi complaints more common in IBS then normals.

headache
dizziness
heart palpitations
back pain
shortness of breath
muscle ache
frequent urinating
difficulty in urinating
sensitivity to heat and cold
constant tiredness
Pain during intercourse -sex-
trembling hands
sleep difficuties
bad breath-unpleasant taste in mouth
grinding your teeth
jaw pain
flushing of face and neck
dry mouth
week or wobbly legs
scratchy throat
tightness or pressure in chest
low sex drive
poor appetite
eye pain
stiff muscles
eye twitching

Symptoms, such as pain, sweating, heart palpitations, and feeling faint are related to the exaggerated nervous system response to eating that occurs in people with IBS.

Anyway, this list just reminded me how complicated and chronic IBS is. Yep, we're special!

Edited by Maria!Maria! (08/22/05 05:33 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Non-Gi complaints w/ IBS new
      #207538 - 08/22/05 04:06 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I am always tired. I used to hop out of bed at the crack of dawn and walk to the Diner and then the gym. Now I can't seem to get myself up and in the shower without a lot of effort. All I want to do is sleep. I figure my body is over worked trying to digest all the food I eat that is just sitting inside me. I don't know how I would be able to work double shifts like I used to. I couldn't eveen do one shift now.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Fibro new
      #207540 - 08/22/05 04:14 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

The "official" symptoms needed for a diagnosis of fibro are widespread pain in all four quadrants of the body for at least 3 months and 11 out of the 18 tender points. If your blood work has ruled out anything else, then maybe get your doc to do a fibro tender point exam.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#207543 - 08/22/05 04:25 PM
egriffin

Reged: 08/16/05

I never associated those symptoms w/ the IBS before...intersting list...a couple of those...scratchy thorat, dry mouth, I just assumed is a side effect of the lomotil...the extreme tiredness is an absolute after a particular extreme attack...wears me out...the cold and heat affectation, I just figured was me...interesting...
Blessings,
Elaine

#207565 - 08/22/05 05:08 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Maria,

I don't know if this is either interesting or helpful. I've always wondered if I had fibro or if I'm just a hypochondriac. I'm more than half afraid of being taken seriously. This is what I live with most days. (I do not have a thyroid problem and my anemia is monitored/in remission.) I do have asthma, which may explain the breath associated answers and I have EVIL TMJ. I also have epilepsy and GAD, so some of the fatigue related responses may be related to anti-convulsants.

headache xxx
dizzines x
heart palipitations xx
back pain xxx
shortness of breath xx
muscle ache xxx
frequent urinating xxx
difficulty in urinating
sensitivity to heat and cold xxx
constant tiredness xxx
pain during sex-intercourse
trembling hands
difficulty sleeping xxx
bad breath/unpleasant taste in mouth
grinding your teeth xxx
jaw pain xxx
flushing of face and neck
dry mouth xxx
weak/wobbly legs xxx
scratchy throat xx
tightness or pressure in chest xx
low sex drive
poor appetite xx
eye pain x
stiff muscles xxx
eye twitching

#207571 - 08/22/05 05:29 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Hello, very interesting, because IBS is such a complicated thing, let me add to the confusion. Yes i get a lot of those symptoms, a lot of which are present in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). I have always attributed my IBS to a severe case of Ciguatera poisoning when a child. Ciguatoxin is the most potent neurotoxin known, 10000 times more toxic than arsenic w/w. There was a study run in Hawaii not long ago on CFS patients in which about 98% of them tested positive for traces of ciguatoxin! I really do wonder if IBS patients all went and got tested what % might also have been exposed to it at some time.
Of course its speculation, but science does sometimes identify causative agents that have far reaching consequences.
Incidently one of the symptoms of ciguatera poisoning, apart from the severe gastro etc, is a reversal of temperature sensitivities, ie hot things feel cold, cold things hot.
Ciguatoxin attacks the sodium/calcium channels in the nervous system causing nerve cells to trigger rapidly but then take a long time to recover. Sound a bit like IBS? Overactive gut or sluggish gut????
Having been exposed to ciguatoxin, a patient is apparently hyper-senstivie to re-exposure. I have often wondered if occasional tiny amounts in food i eat may trigger IBS attacks but have no effect on a normal person.
Anyhow i rant, i have posted similar info once or twice before, sorry if i have bored anyone, but it is very interesting to me, and of course not ever likely to be investigated or proven.
cheers
Ralph

Kate new
      #207573 - 08/22/05 05:30 PM
lalala

I'm sorry if this isn't helpful or even interesting. I certainly don't want to bring out the hypochondriac in anyone. My point in posting this was to have the opposite effect. Now that I think about it, I probably just should have left out my personal musings about fibro; I think I'll go ahead and edit those out. However, because sometimes I forget all the non-GI symptoms included in a diagnosis of IBS I'm leaving the list up. I thought it was a good reminder that there's nothing else "wrong" with me--I have IBS in all its glory and manifestations.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (08/22/05 05:40 PM)

I definitely have fatigue new
      #207581 - 08/22/05 05:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't get through a normal day without taking a 2-hour nap by mid-afternoon. Seriously. And yep, I've been tested repeatedly to rule out everything under the sun - other than IBS, I'm in shockingly perfect health.

But interestingly enough, I don't have ANY of the other symptoms mentioned. Not a one. Lucky me!

No, that's a good point... new
      #207583 - 08/22/05 06:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's really easy to think of IBS as *just* something that affects the GI tract, but your body isn't isolated neatly into systems that function without affecting everything else in your body. That's just not the way it works. So when you have a pile of symptoms, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's something ELSE wrong... it CAN just be "side effects" of the main problem, IBS.

I'm not saying that it's a good idea to just accept that you have IBS and never worry about things like palpitations or chest pain... but you have to be reasonable and not immediately panic that every little thing is a symptom of something else. As an example, I *just* had a very thorough physical and a lot of tests, and I'm confident that my problem is IBS only, and not something like fibro.

Re: Fibro new
      #207591 - 08/22/05 06:31 PM
lalala

Thanks for the clarification! (I've edited my post, but thanks for replying so quickly. )

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1767 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3575

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review