All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Exercise and Eating
      #20668 - 09/14/03 09:20 AM
kiks

Reged: 08/19/03

This question is especially for Heather, of course, but I'm interested to know what anyone else does about this.
I'm wondering when the best time of the day to exercise is. I really like to run, a couple miles usually, but I don't know if I should go before a meal, directly after or between meals.
I'm IBS-C, but I've pretty much regulated bowel movements (one every morning if I allow myself the time) partly thanks to Heather's diet
I welcome advice to anyone who has a good exercise schedule! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Exercise and Eating new
      #20678 - 09/14/03 01:35 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I work out daily (pilates, yoga) around 6:30 or so. Then by bf and I eat dinner. I usually work out on an empty tummy because it's easier to do the postures without the tummy bloat getting in the way. Then I eat dinner after that. If I don't feel like my meal has digested, I will sometimes go for a 15-20 minute walk at night.

--------------------
~jules

#20680 - 09/14/03 02:28 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

HI! I love to get exercise outdoors but humidity kills me and causes IBS problems. So I would also look at what time of day has the most comfortable weather if that affects you. I wouldn't exercise strenuously right after a meal but a brisk walk would work. Otherwise I would eat lightly before exercising. You want to have something in your tummy so you don't get lightheaded. For example today I ate some pita bread with hummus before biking 10 miles. We stopped halfway and I ate a small piece of banana bread and of course drank water the whole time.Then I took a swim. This seemed to work rather than a really long bike ride, which I'll save for when the weather is cooler (it's 83 and rather humid here today)Good luck! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#20685 - 09/14/03 05:47 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Hi, I don't have time to read the others' answers so if I'm repeating, sorry! I like to jog at night as my husband is enjoying some time with our 3 small children. Following the evening meal (not very heavy meal) and some hot tea, about an hour later, a 3 mile jog or fast walk winds me down from the day and seems to get the days' food moving. I'd prefer to go first thing in the morning but with a husband and kids now, that's not an option.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#20691 - 09/14/03 09:05 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

If you're trying to lose weight, exercising on an empty stomach (or at least one free from carbs) is most effective: web page. I don't know how to adapt that for IBS, since we're really not supposed to HAVE empty stomachs! Heather, I guess this one's for you!

Re: Something I have just started... new
      #20698 - 09/14/03 10:44 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,

I too have IBS-C and I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome. Recently, I read a book on PCOS which said that the best time for fat burning exercise (for anyone not just women with PCOS) is first thing in the morning before eating any calories.

"20 mins of low intensity exercise performed at this time is worth 1 hr done at any other time. The reason for this is that the low levels of insulin seen first thing in the morning allow your body to access your body fat for energy to be burned by your muscles. After eating anything,(even breakfast cereals) your insulin levels will rise. Since insulin is the hormone of storage, and rises after consuming carbohydrates, it inhibits the Lyase enzymes that allow fat to be mobilized and used for energy."

[Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - by Collette Harris]

I used to walk in the late afternoon/ early evening and since I have IBS C and am in the habit of "going" in the mornings I was really reluctant to change my routine for fear of interrupting that time, confusing my body and getting C again.

However, since doing the Hypno tapes my anxiety has reduced a lot and I decided to give it a go anyway.

I've only been doing it a week so I can't say how much fat burning has really occurred but I'm on a new IVF cycle and the hormones have made me put on weight each time in the past but this time my weight has stayed stable so far. So I'm thinking it could be the exercise time.

Anyway, I have enjoyed it so much. It's so peaceful out first thing in the morning. I have a nearly 3 year old son but I figure it doesn't hurt my husband to watch him for that 3o mins in the morning. Sometimes he's still asleep when I go.

The change in morning routine hasn't made me constipated. In fact, I think it has helped things.

So I'd recommend it to anyone who is thinking about trying exercise first thing in the morning. I also find I start the day feeling really relaxed and I don't stress for the rest of the day about when I'll get my exercise done.

Sorry for the long post but I was hoping to help!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#21482 - 09/22/03 06:11 PM
kiks

Reged: 08/19/03

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... maybe its just different for everyone! I was especially wondering about the full or empty stomach issue, but I think I'll just try to eat a little something before a jog.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review