All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Struggling Again...
      #205094 - 08/12/05 05:55 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I had a colonscopy in mid July. Since I've really been struggling. While I feel better than right after, I've been noticing the following...

1. EXTREME reflux (now on Nexium, 40/mg, 2x/day)
2. I was eating my previous "normal" amount and it now feels like way too much. Plus was trying to pick up some additional cals (I'm very active).
3. Extreme gas, bloating, etc.

Called my GI and he's convinced I have slow tummy emptying??? Wants me to resume Zelnorm (GRRR!) after I told him it didn't work (1/2 tab before b-fast and dinner).

I'm at my witt's end. I'm on 10 mg/day Citrucel (btwn clear powder and pills). Plus prescription lax.

At this point, I feel like I gotta stop forcing the food and let go of the obsession and what I eat, I eat. Also, esp. in the summer, I eat a lot of fruit...a culprit I suspect. However, it's just not worth going on like this....

Anybody have any experience?

Thanks for reminding me I'm NOT crazy...

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm an A but.... new
      #205096 - 08/12/05 06:03 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I've noticed some stuff since my colonoscopy too. Reflux (that NEVER bothered me before I had the gastroscopy with the colonoscopy) that is being treated with Nexium (probably for life I've been told), major gas I never had before and now I'm starting to bloat since the procedure (I never used to bloat much either beforehand). I don't eat fruit at all really (suspected fructose sensitivity). Sorry I'm not much help but I can certainly sympathise. I was in really bad pain for over a week after I had the colonoscopy. It seems to have made me worse I'm taking slippery elm at the moment which is helping some but other than that no advice, just sympathy.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Struggling Again... new
      #205097 - 08/12/05 06:15 PM
goodcop1

Reged: 08/02/05
Loc: Hilton Head South Carolina

I had the same prob after my Colonoscopy. I was almost in a ER state after the prep the night before. I havee never felt such pain and sickness. My Doc had me on a anti Spaz. I stayed on for five days eating just pasta, cereal, and tea. Gradually stopped the anti spaz. Had the colonoscopy on 7/21 (my birthday). I am just now starting to add different foods from Heathers list. Chicken, papaya, mango,true white bread and Corn or Rice Chex. No dairy at all. Feeling much better. PS I am now walking and stretching every day and the yoga moves on the site seem to help with the gas.

--------------------
"Thru Him with Him and in Him".

#205098 - 08/12/05 06:21 PM
momentarylapse

Reged: 08/11/05

do you have a history of acid reflux or did it begin for the first time after the colonoscopy?

#205106 - 08/12/05 07:03 PM
uwponine

Had a history but not like this. This is now the first time the GI said anything about slow tummy emptying....

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Is he going to test you for delayed gastric emptying? new
      #205108 - 08/12/05 07:16 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If you have it, SFS is not recommended. In fact, it makes matters worse as it just sits in you and clogs you up.

Here's a helpful link about gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying). Gastroparesis

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Is he going to test you for delayed gastric emptying? new
      #205337 - 08/14/05 05:04 AM
uwponine

Don't know. He just threw this at me Friday when he put be back on Zelnorm (yick). Will see what happends in the next 10 days. What tests do that entail?

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Re: Is he going to test you for delayed gastric emptying? new
      #205339 - 08/14/05 05:45 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I feel for you. I am a IBS-C, and I mean major C. What has helped me is Milk of Magnesia (MOM), (2-3 tablespoons)everyday, in combination with Zelnorm -2 tablets a day. It is safe to take the MOM daily contrary to what you may hear. All the fiber that most people take to help them "go" just clogs me up more.

When they realized I had IBS and I kept ending up in the hospital due to major C they finally did a Sitz Marker test. This is just a pill you swallow that has markers in it. You take a different one each day, then have x-rays 4 and 7 days later to see where they are in your system. It was after this test they finally diagnosed colonic inertia. Heather's diet has helped a lot but also the combination of Zelnorm and MOM. I am taking Acacia but not sure how much that is helping. Good luck. I would suggest you ask your GI about this test. It was actually my surgeon (from ruptured diverticuli and temporary colostomy)who suggested it, not the GI!

Also for the bloating and gas I find the yoga positions suggested on this site and aerobic exercise helps the most with that and Heather's fennel tea (other brands work okay but Heather's is better).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1667 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review