All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
SFS?
      #204643 - 08/11/05 01:03 PM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

I was wondering...is Metamucil a commonly used SFS?
I have a glass a day.
What difference is there between the Acacia and other SFS?
Thanks!
8-)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SFS? new
      #204649 - 08/11/05 01:14 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Here is a WONDERFUL section on SFS!!
http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#204660 - 08/11/05 01:37 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I didn't read the link shellMar was so kind to provide you so forgive me if I rehash what it says!! But, basically, its a personal prefference. Some people seem to do better with certain SFS than with others. Physillum seems to be the least tolerated as it produces the most gas. Acacia also has a pre-biotic in it which I don't believe any of the other SFS do. The pre-biotic, over time, will help retore the guts natural flora. I found metamucil to be very gritty and couldn't choke it down. Citrucel worked ok but I've been using the acacia for sometime!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#204669 - 08/11/05 02:20 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

And I use Benefiber powder. It's guar gum, I believe. I have never tried acacia since Benefiber worked pretty well.

I also keep Fibercon capsules or Equalactin in my purse to take when I'm out or at work.

I'm glad... new
      #204827 - 08/12/05 05:20 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

...this was pulled up. I read it, but I needed to re-read it. I'm looking for so many answers right now. I'm doing the eats for 'when I can't seem to eat anything' and I'm still having issues. Maybe it is the SFS. One more week though, I have to give it that. Then I think I'll try the acacia.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

#204828 - 08/12/05 05:32 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am an A and I had a hideous reaction of violent D to 1/8th tsp of acacia but am doing well on psyllium (plain...not metamucil) with no added gas...infact...I have less gas!variety is the spice of life eh? :-) good luck

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#204832 - 08/12/05 06:19 AM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

How bad is the taste with acacia? I take benefiber, and even though it says there is no taste, I can taste it a mile away. I mix it in with whatever I can (oatmeal, smoothies) .. but on days that I dont have anything to mix it with, I just skip it . I'm not even at my full dose yet .. so that really grosses me out and makes me worry how awful its going to taste. How good/bad is acacia? Is it a powder .. and does it thicken a lot?

I'm trying to take the psyllium too, but... new
      #204837 - 08/12/05 06:36 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I don't think it likes me. I am having a BM now, every other day (loose one in the morning, then little "pieces" throughout the day), but the cramps, bloat, gas, and pain have increased! I didn't think that was possible. I feel "rumbly", unsettled, and not wanting to eat. The day after I have the BM I don't go at all.

I started at 1/4 tsp at night for one week, now at 1/2 tsp a day for week two (total of 11 days now).

Do you think I should give it more time? I don't feel good, but like the BM effect. Am I going too fast? How long is long enough to know it isn't worth it and how do I choose between having a loose BM every other day but always feeling cramps and awful, and being constipated?

It may also be that I'm reducing Zelnorm and also eating some gluten foods like Spelt, Oatmeal, and wheat free cereal...but I was eating these foods before the psyllium and not having this reaction. But again, maybe the gluten is just kicking in?

I forgot, I'm also still taking 1 tsp of slippery elm in the morning, Along with 1 T of flaxmeal in Oatmeal.

Any suggestions? Dalia or anyone?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (08/12/05 01:02 PM)

Which SFS are you taking now Rebecca?-nt new
      #204838 - 08/12/05 06:37 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Acacia taste new
      #204852 - 08/12/05 06:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I can't taste acacia at all and I think I'm fairly sensitive to icky tastes. I take my first dose in applesauce and the rest in water. It doesn't thicken at all, but it does make the water a little cloudy sometimes and if you shake it up, you get a little head of foam on your glass. This is for a big dose: 7 teaspoons in 24 ounces of water. My DH takes 1 teaspoon in 12 ounces of water and I can't tell the difference between that and a regular glass of water.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41261

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review