All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about Miralax study in Heather's newsletter--Heather???
      #204510 - 08/11/05 08:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I need help interpretting the results of the miralax study...so could I get some intelligent wise folks to give their opinions.

Here's the article from the research board. Miralax study

And it can also be found in the newsletter:

Lack of Lasting Effectiveness of Miralax for Constipation
MiraLax has been shown to be safe and effective in a 14-day trial for constipation. This present investigation was designed to extend the treatment and safety experience with Miralax and to evaluate any lasting effectiveness during a 30-day post-treatment observation period.

Methods: Study subjects met Rome II criteria for constipation and reported 3 bowel movements a week. They were treated with Miralax daily for 14 days. Treatment efficacy was defined by resolution of constipation symptoms as determined by the Rome II and stool frequency definitions during the treatment period. Thirty days after active treatment, 29 of 47 (61.7%) responded that they needed laxative treatment. Conclusion: Miralax relieved constipation in most treated study subjects, but during a 30-day post-treatment observation period, 61.7% had additional constipation treatment interventions.

As I understand it, the participants needed to use other remedies to help their constipation after the 14 day study was over. But what I'm not sure about is if they were also still taking the Miralax when the constipation got worse at the 30 day mark.

In other words, did they need additional "constipation interventions" (ie. laxatives)in addition to the Miralax at the 30 day point because the Miralax was no longer as effective? Was it only effective for 14 days as the sole treatment method?

Any input or opinions would be appreciated.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Miralax study in Heather's newsletter--Heather??? new
      #204518 - 08/11/05 08:37 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I found the actual paper and read it (yay for having university access to journals). From what I can gather (it's not a very well-written paper or well-designed study IMHO), the Miralax was only taken for 14 days. During those 14 days, the subjects were only allowed to take the Miralax and no other constipation remedy/med/fiber supp/etc. After the 14 days, they could take what they wanted. The investigators wanted to see if a short term course of the Miralax could "cure" the constipation. Basically the conclusion was that the Miralax was effective, but needed to be take long term.

HTH

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#204555 - 08/11/05 10:06 AM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I had the same confusion after reading the article. I must have re-read it about 10 times. I definitely think you are correct in your interpretation.

Thanks!!

--------------------
Dana

#204564 - 08/11/05 10:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have been using miralax daily for about FIVE years and its still just as effective today as it was when I first started taking it! No, Mirala won't "cure" C as in that you will magically be fixed after 14 days, you will most likely have to take it indefinitely but it is safe to take long term. I'm not overjoyed at the prospect of having to take it forever but I'd rather take it and poop everyday then go through life miserable and constipated!

There have been a couple of people who have said that miralax didn't work for them but I've never heard anyone say that it stopped working, especially after 14 days!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#204637 - 08/11/05 12:40 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I've been taking it for a few months now. I checked the lable and thank goodness there is NO GLUTEN, because I am finally getting close to stable.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Thank you Melissa! new
      #204752 - 08/11/05 06:25 PM
Augie

Yay for friends at Universities!

I wonder how many returned to the Miralax after the study. I wish these studies went more in the depth and provided a clearer explanation of the procedure and results.

I think Michele could have told them this conclusion without having to do a study on it, right Michele?

--------------------
~ Beth

Edited by Augie (08/11/05 06:28 PM)

#204773 - 08/11/05 07:28 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I'm really glad to hear that it is still working for you. I've been taking it on & off for about a year now, but only every day for about 6 months. I find that I now need more per day than I used to last year, but it could also be that my expectations of how often I need to poop are different.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#204857 - 08/12/05 07:06 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I still take just one cap a day unless I'm travelling which seems to make my C worse. Sometimes just before my period I will also get a little backed up, so I take a second dose at night but I don't think its lost any of its effectivness at all! I used to have to take 4 ex-lax or ducolox a day just to poop!! Now, with the miralax, I poop everyday, sometimes 2-3 times a day with rare exceptions! To me, Miralax is a wonder drug!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#204861 - 08/12/05 07:22 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I feel the same way about Miralax.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Carol, are you still taking the Miralax? new
      #244923 - 02/08/06 07:37 AM
Augie

Do you take an SFS along with it? Is it still working for you at one dose a day? I wish I didn't have to take this med.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7706 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1481

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review