All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Whole wheat pasta?
      #204317 - 08/10/05 03:33 PM
mattin7827

Reged: 07/28/05

What does everyone think...I know that whole wheat pasta is supposed to be healthy for you, and I was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whole wheat pasta? new
      #204332 - 08/10/05 04:18 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

whole wheat is whole wheat, whether it is in pasta or bread, and if whole wheat bread is a trigger for you then whole wheat pasta will be as well. And yes, whole wheat is healthier for "normal" people, but if you have IBS-D then the health benefits are irrelevant if it comes right out after you eat it.

I tried it once before and had the same excrutiating pain that I get from the bread. I would not recommend it.

Re: Whole wheat pasta? new
      #204401 - 08/10/05 08:12 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

It really depends on how stable you are, if you can handle whole grains, and if you lean more towards D or C. I'm almost always C & I eat whole wheat pasta & enjoy it. I also have whole wheat toast for breakfast occasionally & I will snack on Triscuits at night sometimes. I know that diet would KILL most people who suffer from D. If I don't get my whole grain fiber though, I really suffer. Now, if I'm not stable & I'm really hurting, I do need to back off the whole grains for a bit, until my tummy settles down a bit. It's another one of those things that works for some & doesn't for others.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

What about brown rice pasta? new
      #204480 - 08/11/05 06:56 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Another thing you could look into is brown rice pasta. The whole wheat stuff has a little too much IF for me, but brown rice is generally easier to tolerate than other whole grains. Personally, I can eat brown rice pasta just fine, and I like knowing I'm getting some extra IF from it. It does taste different but I think it's a nice change. Just remember that it's still a whole grain and start out carefully until you see how your body tolerates it.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Kree, when you eat brown rice pasta... new
      #204502 - 08/11/05 07:57 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

do you eat it with IF veggies or do you need to eat it with SF veggies?

I have some and I've always wondered about what type of veggies to eat with it. I'm not sure if the brown rice pasta is too IF for some cooked zucchini or green beans.

Thanks!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (08/11/05 07:57 AM)

Re: Kree, when you eat brown rice pasta... new
      #204607 - 08/11/05 11:34 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Augie, I've eaten brown rice pasta with green beans on the side and it hasn't bothered me. I'm pretty sure there's a decent amount of SF in the pasta, too. If it makes you nervous, though, you could try having a slice of bread first!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

stay away new
      #205262 - 08/13/05 02:24 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

Whole wheat pasta was responsible for one of the worst attacks I ever had...the pasta combined with a acidic tomato sauce had me doubled over....Now I know- no whole wheat; no tomato sauce...

Evan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6443 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4429

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review