Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone have similar symptoms?
      #204194 - 08/10/05 09:58 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi everyone!
Now, I know we cannot "diagnose" here, but I wanted to get some input as to whether others have experienced similar symptoms and some ideas as to what all of this could be.

Just this past weekend, I ended up in ER again due to dehydration. In the past 1.5 months, I have visited the ER probably 4-5 times and, each time, my recovery becomes longer, longer. Even still today, after spending days on the couch filling up on liquids, etc., I AM STILL EXHAUSTED! It's crazy because I am normally so high energy and someone who never really needs that much sleep to function well. All I have been doing is sleeping and I still feel so weak,exhausted. My parents keep looking at me, saying, "You still look so pale and have HUGE circles under your eyes." What's more is that, I am getting lots of nausea again as well as uncontrollable cravings even when I just ate a meal/snack. Normally, the cravings are for chocolate or sugar and I almost get "shakey" until I get my hands on something to satisfy the craving. These "craving swings" have never really happened to me, and always seem to accompany the dehydration-are they related at all?!

I would love to hear some input if anyone has experienced similar symptoms/situations.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!!!

Kristen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone have similar symptoms? new
      #204202 - 08/10/05 10:09 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I have had similar symptoms and spent time being rehydrated in the E.R.

Keep some Gatorade in the house for electrolytes, broth, Pedialyte/Gastrolyte is another option. You need to keep up both SODIUM/CHLORIDE and Potassium.

Don't laugh, but I felt so nauseated/dehydrated this morning and shakey that I grabbed a can of organic no-chicken broth and downed it and felt better.

Kate.

#204204 - 08/10/05 10:13 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

quite possibly - cravings are sometimes tied to deficiencies in your system - craving salt and sugar makes sense with dehydration, as your electrolytes get really low when you're dehydrated (that would be the salt craving), and your body's probably craving sugar for energy - easy-to-use calories.

is the dehydration coming from ibs stuff (major d attacks?) or is it separate?

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#204212 - 08/10/05 10:22 AM
Kristin940

You guys are great, thanks for your responses! I really appreciate it! Well, I have chronic C due to structural problems (weakened pelvic floor muscles/rectrocele) but, for some reason (probably IBS-related), I get "wild" bouts of D! My dehydration comes on slowly, however, as I get D for many times in a row, the nausea sets in, and next thing I know I am like on the floor (haha! Not literally, but I cannot get out of bed). I keep the SmartWater onhand and try to have salt each and every day, but it seems once I become dehydrated, it is very difficult to rehydrate. Even after leaving the ER, I still feel so "blah" and that is totally unlike me as I am usually so energetic and motivated in my daily workouts! And the cravings, too, are so bizarre as it is def not a mental thing, as I get SO shaky if I dont reach for the sugar/salt that my body is wanting. It's wild!

Thank you again, though, for your insight and advice!!!!

#204262 - 08/10/05 11:01 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have no idea why this popped into my head - it's totally off the wall - but ...

Have you been checked for diabetes?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#204265 - 08/10/05 11:23 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

I have spent many a night in the Er for dehydration until I learned as soon as my D starts or I feel shakey start drowing those electrolytes down. I mean all day, keep that cup full. I drink the kids version of Pedialyt. The Kroger brand taste like grape soda. As for being weak, that is normal. Your body just went through some major trauma. If it is D doing this to you please take something to stop it as soon as it starts. I take Locomotil, it works great and is by pres only. Hope this helps.

#204281 - 08/10/05 12:04 PM
Wind

Basically, keep electrolytes in the house. I'd go for sugar water if you get that sugar surge/urge and you're dehydrated.
Seriously, Pedialyte or Gatorade should do the trick. You're glycogen stores are just being depleted and you need some quick/ready energy.

Kate.

#204284 - 08/10/05 12:18 PM
Kristin940

Hi,
Again,thanks everyone! I am not prescribed anything for my D because my C becomes so severe that they don't want to have me swing back in that direction. I am going to take your suggestions, and go out and buy some Pedialyte. And, Kate, sugar water? As in, literally H20 with sugar? Can't be picky, but don't imagine that is very exciting! Does that help with the electrolytes at all?! Do you find that is helpful to you when you are faced with a bout of dehydration?

As for diabetes, my bloodwork hasn't shown anything so I am pretty certain it may be related to the D and dehydration! But that is definitely a viable question!

Thank you very much, everyone! I really appreciate it!

#204297 - 08/10/05 01:07 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I've had plenty of shaky/weak episodes, although I've only made it as far as Urgent Care...or my sofa. Making sure I get enough salt and not overexerting myself when it's hot has helped loads. Gatorade, pickles, and baked potato chips are my summertime friends.

Are you on Heather's diet? I'm sure that increasing your SF and eliminating trigger foods (not the good but tricky foods, which need to stay in your diet) will help if you haven't done that already. Pretty much everyone with severe D is helped by that!

--AC

#204319 - 08/10/05 03:50 PM
Wind

Pedialyte is basically sugar water with salt. Ditto for Gatorade. I'm thinking more in terms of a cup of sweetened tea or a suitable sweet beverage. YES, simple sugars help with the electrolytes.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2007

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review