All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
canker sores & peppermint?
      #204163 - 08/10/05 09:08 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i usually get a canker sore once or twice a year, but i have a sudden outbreak - two or three at once. party in my mouth. the first culprit i came to was the sour altoid sucking candies (the only hard candies i could find without HFCS) which i;d been using for donnatol dry mouth and airplaine flight ear-popping.

but when i searched old posts about this, wondering about ibs connections (either immune-system or dietary), someone mentioned mint as a possible cause - is it possible that all the strong peppermint tea we're living on could be causing these? this week i started drinking more, and i switched from celestial seasonings peppermint to a stronger, medicinal tea, which i've been brewing a lot stronger, too.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try L-lysine new
      #204231 - 08/10/05 10:33 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Hi, I'm not sure about the canker sore/pepermint conection, but I do know that taking the amino-acid L-lysine helps with cold sores. (I know there's a difference between canker and cold sores, but don't ask me how to tell the two apart!)

As an added bonus, L-lysine is also in the Digestive Advantage supplement, so it might even help with IBS, too!

HTH,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

for me... new
      #204235 - 08/10/05 10:35 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

...I tend to get canker sores from Kiwi fruit. There are a couple others too. I don't know the exact cause, but I always thought it was high vitamin c. Don't quote me though. Just a guess.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

it turns out that... new
      #204243 - 08/10/05 10:45 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

whether the peppermint tea causes the sores or not, it definitely was making them hurt more. once i switched to fennel, the pain went waaay down.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1470

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review