All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Let's celebrate the things we can eat!! new
      #204680 - 08/11/05 02:36 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

cailin's INCREDIBLE Baked Chicken with Plums, Ginger and Soy (look in the recipe index)!

Glad you are still loving it Casey, I haven't made it in such a long time...mmm maybe for dinner on Sunday...

Before I was stable I loved ADBs, rice with chicken and chili sauce, prawns with rice and tomato sauce, soy chocolate dessert with gingersnaps dipped in them, caramel ricecrackers.

I am eating such rubbish at the moment,I need to pull myself together or my skin is going to give me away, not good with wedding in seven weeks!

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beans! new
      #204688 - 08/11/05 03:04 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

Actually, one of my favorite meals is pinto bean soup, sometimes pintos & white beans cooked together. I'm southern, what can I say?
I can't eat this when I'm in the middle of a flare up, or it will hurt me a little. However, if I'm stable, the way I cook them, they don't bother me.
First, as with all things southern, you gotta cook them to death...this makes pureeing them unnecessary. LOL You have to either soak the beans overnight, then rinse & replace the water the next day & cook, or as I often do, rinse the beans well, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat, cover & let sit for an hour. Then you dump that water, rinse the beans again, and cook in fresh water for at least 3 hours.
Now, HERE'S the secret to making them less gassy. After they've been cooking a good hour or so, when they start getting a little tender & they're just simmering or so...take one-two tablespoons of baking soda & sprinkle into the soup. (You need to be cooking in a big pot, cause this will make the soup bubble up BIG time...if it starts to overflow the pot, remove from heat for a minute.) Basically, what you're seeing is the gas disappear. Remember, baking soda is an old fashioned remedy for gas & heartburn. I start with one tablespoon, stir it up well until it stops bubbling, then I'll sprinkle a little more in...if it bubbles up alot again, I know I need more. This really does work!!

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#204691 - 08/11/05 03:07 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

That is an excellent tip for making beans more tolerable. I don't think I've heard that before! I'll have to try it. Pintos and white beans cooked together? Yum!

Thanks!

Shelli? new
      #204700 - 08/11/05 04:21 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Thanks for the tip! How many beans do you use per recipe with the baking soda and how much water do you add? Do you drain the water after cooking?

I gather the beans are dried beans,,,the type you find in plastic bags at the grocery store?

When you make the soup, do you just cook the beans and not add anything else to the soup either before or after the beans are done?

Thank you!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Not bored! new
      #204707 - 08/11/05 04:38 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I love detailed explanations! The more info the better! I appreciate you taking the time to type all that out!

When you say you make the spread or dip, is it Heather's bean spread in the EFI diet book? Do you only use a few Tablespoons of the spread as well?

Do you just add dry cumin that you find in the spice aisle? I never heard that this helped with gas. Good to know! I'm not sure parsley would taste so good with beans! But I have heard to chew fresh parsley leaves after a meal to aid in digestion. Haven't tried that yet either.

If you only eat a few Tablespoons of the beans on the couscous or a few Tablespoons of the dip, what do you do with all the left over beans from the 15 oz jar? Do you freeze it or does it stay edible in the fridge for a while?

I've tried Beano in the pill form...chewing a few of them right before eating something I think may cause gas, like asparagus. It does also come in a liquid. But both forms contain Artificial Sweetener (pill contains mannitol and liquid contains sorbitol ), so I try to just double up on my digestive enzyme which contains the same active ingredient as the Beano without the Artif. Sweetener. I sometimes take both though. I still get the gas, so don't know if I would suggest the beano does anything for me.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Not bored! new
      #204711 - 08/11/05 04:47 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I love detailed explanations! The more info the better! I appreciate you taking the time to type all that out!

When you say you make the spread or dip, is it Heather's bean spread in the EFI diet book? Do you only use a few Tablespoons of the spread as well? Yep, I've made Heather's bean spread and then experimented with my own mixes. Heather's is the tastiest, though. Since I've been eating more beans lately I'll have more than a few tablespoons.

Do you just add dry cumin that you find in the spice aisle? Yes. I never heard that this helped with gas. I didn't know that until recently either. I don't know if it really does, but I like the flavor--there is a soothing quality to it. Good to know! I'm not sure parsley would taste so good with beans! Just an example. But I have seen it in bean soup recipes. But I have heard to chew fresh parsley leaves after a meal to aid in digestion. Haven't tried that yet either. I've tried this a couple of times. I can't recall if it helped with gas but I remember it didn't taste very good!

If you only eat a few Tablespoons of the beans on the couscous or a few Tablespoons of the dip, what do you do with all the left over beans from the 15 oz jar? Sometimes I'll have it for lunch AND dinner and, of course, I live with bf so he'll eat some. You could share it with coworkers, too! Do you freeze it or does it stay edible in the fridge for a while? I've never needed to keep it more than two days in the refrigerator because I'm constantly snacking on it. Sometimes I'll make half the can and then use the rest to make a black bean salsa for my non-IBS bf or friends.

I've tried Beano in the pill form...chewing a few of them right before eating something I think may cause gas, like asparagus. It does also come in a liquid. But both forms contain Artificial Sweetener (pill contains mannitol and liquid contains sorbitol ), so I try to just double up on my digestive enzyme which contains the same active ingredient as the Beano without the Artif. Sweetener. Those darn artificial sweeteners! They show up everywhere! Well, I guess I won't be trying it any time soon. I sometimes take both though. I still get the gas, so don't know if I would suggest the beano does anything for me.

Re: Shelli? new
      #204737 - 08/11/05 05:51 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

A one pound bag of dried beans will make one BIG pot of soup. I usually feed 4-6 people with it, and have leftovers. When you do the first boil of the beans, you want lots of water, cause the beans will soak it up. When you drain & rinse & then add fresh water, I usually cover the beans with about an extra inch or two above the beans. They will continue to absorb the water...I usually cook them until they're kind of creamy. The baking soda makes them a bit creamier too. You can always dump a little water out if it's too 'soupy'.
I will confess, when I make my bean soup, I usually throw a couple ham hocks in for flavor...this will add some fat to the soup. I have made it without the ham hocks & it was still good though. Some people add onions to theirs, but I don't care for it myself. And of course, corn bread always makes a wonderful compliment to bean soup.

(Oh, and the bags of dried beans at the store usually have cooking directions on the back of the bag...they just don't tell you to add baking soda.)

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Re: Let's celebrate the things we can eat!! new
      #204770 - 08/11/05 07:25 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I am able to eat the following: Which mind you some can't but I think we all have our things that WE can eat that others can't:

Chocolate (specifically dark)
Pizza
Salsa
Most candy (salt water taffy are my fav right now)
Brownies
Pickles
Lunch meat(turkey)

I think this is a great thread. We get stuck on wishing we could eat this and that (me it's ICE CREAM) and I think that we forget that there are things that we can eat that we should be thankful that we can eat without troubles.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#204819 - 08/12/05 04:24 AM
melissamonica

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Beans seem to give me some more than normal amounts of gas-
I tried the Beano drops and they didn't help. I love veggies but have a very hard time with them. All I pretty much eat is carrots- They seem to be the easiest on my insides.
Now my mother uses Beano and she thinks it helps. I guess everyone has different results.
Have a great day!

Re: Cyndy, don't get PARANOID!!! new
      #204949 - 08/12/05 10:28 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

No I don't have OCD. And sophistry is not my passion. Trying to feel better is my passion. And trying not to become fearful of more foods that I already am.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2069 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51292

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review