All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Let's celebrate the things we can eat!!
      #203706 - 08/08/05 08:34 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

We spend so much time talking about what we can't eat on this board. Yet some of us are doing well and eating things we really enjoy. I was thinking it might be inspiring for people who aren't doing so well to have something to look forward to (or really depressing, in which case, stop reading). I mean, I actually can eat movie popcorn if I'm careful. I love it! Two years ago I would have never thought I'd touch it again in my life. So, what do you guys love that you're stable enough to eat that has thankfully returned to your lives?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Let's celebrate the things we can eat!! new
      #203713 - 08/08/05 08:57 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

mnnn yummy!!

italian ice
hard cheeses (ie cheddar and parmesean don't hurt nearly as much as ricotta and cream cheese)
turkey burgers
salads (fruit and lettuce salads)
spinach
asparagus
artichokes
green beans
beets
grapes
watermelon
pineapple
bing cherries
strawberries

--------------------

#203714 - 08/08/05 08:59 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

This reply may not fit into the category of "able to eat again" but I gotta tell you I really enjoy some of the great foods I can eat now without getting sick. This way of eating works for me right now. I love rice, pasta, seafoods, cooked veggies, well seasoned chicken, rice crispy treats, chocolate cake for one. ...I could go on and on because I am not feeling deprived. This board offers so many tasty recipes that I think you gotta really be picky to not find something wonderful to cook and eat.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#203733 - 08/08/05 10:58 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Tomorrow marks 7 weeks of not getting sick for me. A few tummy aches but overall doing well!

I am grateful that I can eat:
Fresh breads
Pasta
Rice
Potatoes
Chicken made a gazillion different ways
Soy cheese so I can make safe pizza
Soy "Ice Cream"
No Pudge Brownies

I am incredibly grateful that I live close to a Trader Joe's that has a ton of stuff that I can eat safely.

I am so thankful that I found this website nearly two years ago which has helped me cope with IBS and learn what I can eat and feel good.

THANK YOU TO HEATHER!!!

Leigh

#203742 - 08/09/05 02:38 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

A great suggestion re: focussing on the "BRIGHER SIDE of LIFE!
So, here's my list to date:

--spinach,swiss chard (cooked/pureed), dandelion, arugula...greens that are well cooked and pureed!!! (I either steam or saute my salad)(I eat my leafy salads cooked without a problem at all! Still can't do raw lettuce or sprouts) (I eat a lot of cooked greens, as a vegan)
--green tea/coffee in small quantities
--On a very good day, a carbonated beverage.
--Carrots, turnips, fennel bulbs, and even a little celery in small quantities.
--mushrooms of all kinds (and I love them)
--small amounts of cauliflower and broccoli and brussels sprouts (still can't do "cabbage" but considering a little bok choy)
--BERRIES (I adore them and have no problem eating a pint of them!!!) (Blueberries, though, still cause a few upsets, but I read that they are acid versus alkaline)
--cherries, apricots
--zucchini
--asparagus
--lemons/limes
--rice and rice based pastas/cereals
--herbs, minute quantities of shallot, scallion, chives as well.

Kate, IBS-D.

Oh man... so many things!! new
      #203766 - 08/09/05 06:05 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Corn on the cob!
Grapes!
The occasional salad!
Strawberry shortcake! Blueberries! Wild raspberries picked right off the bush!

Edited to add: TOMATOES! I can't believe I forgot the cherry tomatoes... been eating them like candy, with a little raspberry vinaigrette to dip them in - yum! (Reading my own list is making me hungry! Haha)

The big triumph for me has been being able to eat fresh fruits and veggies again. A year ago, I seriously thought I'd be eating nothing but canned peaches and pears for the rest of my life. I've been eating it all summer, but biting into an ear of corn is still utter bliss for me. And I really have yet to find a fruit or vegetable that I CAN'T eat. It's wonderful!

Edited by atomic rose (08/09/05 09:16 AM)

#203775 - 08/09/05 06:22 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Great idea...especially since I've been missing dairy lately

Favorites I can safely eat:
Rice
Oatmeal
Turkey
Chicken
Lemon sorbet
Carrots
Pasta
Italian ice
Angelfood cake
Green Beans
Potatoes
Lean pork
Venison
Popeye's fried chicken
Fries

(Yes, I know those last 4 should hurt me, but they don't. )

Okay, I know this is suppose to be about foods we can eat, ... new
      #203782 - 08/09/05 06:42 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

so why post that blueberries are not good? OY, I thought they were safe! They are in a recipe in Heather's book.

I thought this was going to be a "safe" post to read to get me out of some of my food fears....but now I fear that blueberries I eat are not safe.

why are acid foods not okay and alkaline are and how can you tell which are which? Heather doesn't mention this factor at all. Should we only eat alkaline foods to be safe?

Maybe I should stop reading these boards. The posts have really scared me away from so many foods. I'm going crazy.

I think it might be more helpful if people didn't post what specific foods hurt or their own theories on whole groups of foods unless someone asks. It only creats fear in newbies and for those who are struggling with finding their own intolerances.

I know you were posting your own thoughts, but this post was suppose to be a postitive uplifting one, not one that puts more fear into people by listing possibly problematic foods...putting more fear into us!

I just had to say this...it really upset me to read this when I thought the posts would be so helpful, concentrating on all the foods people could eat. I hate this fear and confusion.

Re: Okay, I know this is suppose to be about foods we can eat, ... new
      #203787 - 08/09/05 07:20 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I think blueberries are one of those things that do not bother everyone, but they do bother some...and it may depend on how stable you are. IBS is such an individual thing. For example, I'm okay with a few blueberries, but I don't think I could handle an entire cup of them.

We do not all have the exact same triggers, and it is an experiemental thing. For example, fat is not a huge trigger for me, so I can handle some fried foods. I know others here who won't go near a french fry because it's fried. Others can't handle too many raw veggies; I'm one of those.

This is a trial-and-error condition. If you are not stable, of course you won't want to experiment some, and that is perfectly understandable. But once you are stable, you will probably get bored of white rice and plain chicken (for example).

Yes, it can be overwhelming, but there is a lot of help here. There is no magic bullet for IBS. If there was, well, the boards wouldn't be necessary.

Re: Okay, I know this is suppose to be about foods we can eat, ... new
      #203790 - 08/09/05 07:25 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

take note that passanie said in the beginning do not read this post if you're going to get upset about it.

but I don't think its fair that those of us working on our ibs for over a year now can't talk about our successes. We can all share the forum and still learn.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50795

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review