All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Carol... new
      #204102 - 08/10/05 04:41 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Oh yeah .. total carnivore. If I cooked for myself it would be no problem.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Let's celebrate the things we can eat!! new
      #204120 - 08/10/05 06:25 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

1.Heather's Banana Pudding (just had some yesterday!)
2.soft pretzels
3.baked lays (I have to watch it with these - I can eat way too much at one time!)
4. ADB brownies -- again - addictive
5. I LOVE the white sauce that I got one here. I make it w/soy milk instead and have it all the time.
6. mock french toast made with egg whites, a little vanilla soy milk and some cinnamon - topped with just a dab of smart balance light & a sprinkle of pwdered sugar
7. I just discovered Lemon Zest Luna Bars. When I am really stable I have one (oatmeal can give me gas )
8. a baked potato

Re: A Sasker!! new
      #204316 - 08/10/05 03:22 PM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Hi! I'm in Regina. Go prairies!

I've been to your fair city a few times! new
      #204433 - 08/10/05 10:52 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

At least it gets HILLY down by Regina, LOL! I love the southern Prairies.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Let's celebrate the things we can eat!! new
      #204439 - 08/10/05 11:47 PM
AndrewL

Reged: 02/20/05

Dear Hearts;
I think I would lose my mind on this diet without 3 things:well cooked onions, well cooked garlic and cornbread! I perfected a reciepe adapted from the Reciepe board for cornbread and stable or not,I can eat it all day! It's incredibly rich and CORNY and you won't believe how low fat it is-I have to post the reciepe one of these days.(It'll probably look familiar-as I said,I adapted it from a reciepe posted at the Reciepe board.)
Other blessings for me:
Cooked mushrooms(as much as I want)
Bagels(without seeds,obviously)
Fish of all kinds( tuna is infinitely versitile)
Shrimp(AWESOME!)
Baked Potato and Corn Chips( can eat all day,need to be careful.........)
Grilled chicken and turkey cutlets
oven fries
low fat crumb cake
bananas and peeled apples
Decaffinated Coca cola(don't ask me why,but suddenly 3 weeks ago it didn't bother me anymore as long as it's not too cold! Yay!)
Venison(YES,it didn't bother me when I was stable-make sure it's the WILD kind!)
All I can think of right now.To your health,dear hearts.Now if only I can find some beverage reciepes..........
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

Beans! new
      #204609 - 08/11/05 11:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Don't they give you gas? Do you guys who eat beans need to take Beano or something?

I would love to eat more beans for the fiber, but they cause gas I would think.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Beans! new
      #204630 - 08/11/05 12:24 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes I get some gas, but it's not too bad if I eat small amounts regularly. I puree the beans and mix with a soy cream cheese; the pureeing mechanically breaks down the outer skin that's higher in IF and makes it easier to digest.

I always have it with an SF base of rice and flour tortillas/Tostitos. Plus black beans also have some soluble fiber in them. If you look through Heather's recipes you'll see a number of her recipes incorporate pureed black beans.

I think I can tolerate them because of what I attempted to explain in an earlier post, which you can read here. Of course, right now I'm in the middle of a "flare-up" or attack, so I won't being eating any beans today!

HTH, Beth!

#204634 - 08/11/05 12:31 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So about how much beans is a good amount? Do you thin 1/2 cup of lentils or other type beans (before pureeing) would be overkill?

Do you happen to know what type of beans are most tolerated and least gas provoking...if there is such a thing!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Oh man... so many things!! new
      #204636 - 08/11/05 12:37 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I agree, corn on the con is pure bliss!!!!

#204652 - 08/11/05 01:16 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've been looking and looking for a list of different beans and how tolerable they are. I remember reading once that lentils are easier to tolerate.

Anyway, here's how I prepare my beans (remember, I'm a D):

1) I usually eat canned beans because I know they're fully cooked and they're easier for me to prepare. Lentils are faster and easier to cook, so I'll usually make these myself according to package directions.

2a) I puree the contents of a 15 oz can of black beans (my favorite type of bean), either make it into a dip or spread, or just add a couple of tablespoons of mashed beans to a burrito or plain rice. (You could probably start out with less and build up, just to see how you are tolerating it.) I reheat the beans after making them into a spread in the microwave or I'll heat them first and then mash them with a fork. Sometimes I don't reheat them at all, just mash them and mix with rice.

2b) With lentils, I like to puree, heat over a stove, and mix them with couscous. Are you still GF? If so, they're also good as a topping for baked or boiled potatoes. Personally, because I'm a D, a 1/2 cup of lentils after not eating any for a while seems like a lot to me. I would probably start with 1/4 cup or less and work my way up over a week or two. Of course, you'll probably have to do a bit of experimenting to see what works for you.)

3) I've read that some spices (such as cumin and ginger) and herbs (parsley) are digestive aids, so you might want to add them to your purees. They have carminative (gas relieving) properties. I usually add cumin as I'm pureeing the beans--it blends better this way.

4) You might want to try a cup of fennel tea at the end of your meal. Uh oh, I feel a Heather-quote coming on :

Clinical studies have shown that fennel, as part of the diet, helps regulate contractions of the small intestine and aids gas expulsion. Fennel also relaxes the gut, which can relieve spasms of the GI tract. As a result, fennel assists in the dietary management of IBS symptoms, and is exceptional for IBS bloating, gas and abdominal pain. Fennel is also a traditional digestive aid for colic, heartburn, indigestion, and stomachaches.

I haven't tried Beano, but since it contains enzymes that digest beans it should be helpful as well. Do you take Beano before you eat or with the first bite of food? Aren't there drops you add to the beans?

I guess eating beans is a bigger production than I thought! Well, I hope I haven't bored you to tears or confused you even more. I'm just writing what has worked for me in the area of bean consumption.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51295

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review