All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Too much overanalyzing new
      #203589 - 08/08/05 11:38 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You have to just bite the bullet and TRY things, regardless of what anyone else has said about them. I've said it before, I'll say it again: as long as you keep stressing so much over everything that goes into your mouth, you're not going to see much of an improvement anyway - not because of the food, but because of the anxiety!

Honestly, other than the known trigger foods and the few foods you already know DO cause you a specific problem, I think you should treat EVERY food as something you should try and NOT something that's going to hurt you. Because chances are really good that that's the truth.

If I avoided everything that people say bothers them, I'd still be eating nothing but pasta and chicken. But I dove in and started trying new things. Now I eat salad, corn on the cob, dark meat chicken, fresh berries like CRAZY, and other things that a lot of IBS'ers can't. Why? Because I tried them, even though other people said they couldn't eat them, and they didn't make me hurt any worse than I already did, so... cool!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Too much overanalyzing new
      #203603 - 08/08/05 12:30 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Guess your finger's better...or you just bared the pain enough to knock some sense into me, once again. I know you guys are right, probably, but it is very, very difficult to accept that a food cannot be a problem when I read posts by other people saying they are...and I do believe food intolerances outside of the trigger foods do exist. If I were smart enough to figure them out!

And Casey, remind me...what are the few foods I already know cause specific problems? Did I actually figure some out by accident? Really, I can't remember them!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Well said Casey...it worked the same way for me! ~nt~ new
      #203613 - 08/08/05 01:01 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Beth.... new
      #203614 - 08/08/05 01:05 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Stay away from dairy, fried food and red meat...those seem to be "common triggers". Try something and see how it works. I can eat avocado but Shannon cannot, that is why it is so individualized.

This is why I think Anthem has a point...IBS can own you instead of you owning it and as long as IBS owns you, it will win.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

also new
      #203623 - 08/08/05 01:20 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i think it's important to remember that this has nothing to do with being smart enough to fix your ibs. there is an element of listening to your body, but that's intuition, not deductive genius.

i'd suggest keeping a food diary. it's a good way to channel your obsessive tendencies productively - keep track of everything you eat and how you feel, and other factors that might affect your ibs (stress, sleep, weather, your period). patterns will emerge, but there will also be instances that have nothing to do with the patterns at all - the ibs fairy. i like to think of it not as fighting against your ibs, but learning to work through it. doing what you can to make your life the best it can possibly be.

i don't know when i got so sappy...

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: I was speaking only for myself.... new
      #203630 - 08/08/05 01:47 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I apologize - I seem to be seeing things. Thanks for clarifying. (I love my automatic shut-off iron.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Saying Goodbye, perhaps I'll be back... new
      #203641 - 08/08/05 02:30 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

We will miss you. I know I don't write very often when you have written something but I do enjoy reading everything that you have written.

But you do need to spend more time on other things rather than focus so much on this IBS crap. I try not to focus so much on it. I hate it along with everyone else but oh well we have to live with it.

I did read the one post you put on how this stops at death. That is true but for now we just have to live with it.

I do wish you and your partner the best. Good luck on your shoot and I do hope we get to hear back from you from time to time to just let us know how you are doing.

--------------------
Michelle

I'll second that... new
      #203649 - 08/08/05 03:01 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

That's what I've done too. Use Heather's list and suggestions as a guideline, and only a guideline. If I followed the list of SF she has listed, I wouldn't be able to eat a whole lot. The one true thing about IBS I think everyone seems to forget is that no one person has the cure for all of us. Not even our own doctors. This is something we have to do on our own and at times with "suggestions and advice" from others on places like these boards. I agree that stress really does make it much worse. Now that I am coming to terms with it and learning to live with it and not overanalyze every little thing, I am feeling much better. I hope that others may also find that same happiness.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

My finger is still killing me new
      #203653 - 08/08/05 03:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

But you know I love ya and I had to post!

Well, I could go back through the emails and see, but I think you were pretty adamant that onions cause you problems. That's really the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Oh, didn't you say that you can't have soy? Or was that just because you were afraid to try it? Although... I wouldn't even rule those out completely, if I were you. There's a lot of things I couldn't eat when I was first starting to expand my diet that I can definitely eat now, so you never know - I mean, a year ago, I couldn't handle EGG WHITES, for cryin' out loud. I think my gut was just being stupid.

Just remember, sweetie, that other people are not YOU.

Re: Saying Goodbye, perhaps I'll be back... new
      #203658 - 08/08/05 03:56 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Hi sweetie.... I really don't know what to say other then I'm gonna miss the heck out of ya, your humor...you just crack me up all the time.... we are here anytime you need us, just remember that... take care of you...give Wes hugs from me too. I will wait for your reply to the email I sent ya the other night.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1495 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6657

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review