All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
OMG, I am having the worst IBS attack in MONTHS because of a freakin....
      #202929 - 08/05/05 02:52 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

avocado? How unfair is that? it's killing me! I can barely breathe from the pain!

Nothing appears to be MOVING either. Stupid disease.
I really feel like I'm going to throw up.
I've had avocado a dozen times and never reacted. I was fine today, ate 100% safe today and yesterday.
not fair at all. I'm supposed to help out at Dh's restaaurant tonight. Ugh, not in this condition!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ugh, unfair! new
      #202931 - 08/05/05 02:58 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Poor you! Are you sure it's an attack and not a virus or something? Either way, that's a bummer! Rest and feel better soon, I hope!

Doctor confirms it... new
      #202973 - 08/05/05 05:40 PM
_Willow

I've been so stressed out this month, it's been like a merry go round that won't stop. I htink the avocado was definitely the trigger(I felt all itchy mouth for a while, then 10 mins later PAIN!)but stress has kept me from stable since a month ago or longer.

Why, when I'm not even working?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Doctor confirms it... new
      #203022 - 08/05/05 07:38 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Ack! Stress sucks! It's so hard to figure out how to control it as well--especially when good stress is still STRESS. I guess we all need times where nothing really good and nothing really bad happens.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (08/05/05 10:20 PM)

Itchy mouths.... new
      #203039 - 08/05/05 08:21 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

OMG! I get this from banana's and avocado's all the time! I thought I was just a weirdo as when I told DH he looked at me like I was quite mad. It's a weird itchy stingy sensation! Maybe it's a food intolerance? That's what I've always put it down to. Hope you feel better soon. Stress sucks, it's my main trigger

--------------------
Amy

Re: Itchy mouths.... new
      #203048 - 08/05/05 08:59 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

banannas and avacados contain tyramine, it is a chemical that triggers my migraines, so I can't eat them. Maybe tyramine also causes your itchy mouths. Luckily though, banannas and avacados are the only things I know that have tyramine.

Yep new
      #203056 - 08/05/05 09:32 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I get this really badly with bananas and kiwis, I tested big time allergic on an allergy test. Best to avoid completely, I was told.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: OMG, I am having the worst IBS attack in MONTHS because of a freakin.... new
      #203058 - 08/05/05 09:35 PM
Stephie

Hey Shannon,

I am so sorry that you got so sick again!
Try to keep in mind that you GOT stable once, and you'll get there again! There are always bound to be bumps in the road, right?
I know it sucks that you are sick when you aren't even working, but AT LEAST you aren't working right? Sometimes when I get really sick, I try to think like, "Well, at least I have nothing to do today and can just try to relax and feel better and not worry about anything else".

I really hope you feel better soon, I would def. avoid avocados for a while. Maybe if you are feeling any kind of stress or just feeling more fragile in any way, remember to avoid it for when you are super stable.

Hope your tummy starts behaving itself VERY soon!
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I was reading that kiwi, bananas, avocado are LATEX allergies... new
      #203063 - 08/05/05 10:15 PM
_Willow

hmm, come to think of it, condoms REALLY used to bother me!
I wonder if it's a latex allergy?? Yes, I get that weird sensation from bananas too but thought how could THAT be an allergy??

Time for testing.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

kiwis too I bet... new
      #203064 - 08/05/05 10:16 PM
_Willow

they really bug my mouth. I guess I have a new group of allergies to worry about, huh?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

you got it!! new
      #203066 - 08/05/05 10:24 PM
_Willow

It's been a summer full of very many smallish things gone wrong, but when they pile up like this, they're hard to chop down to size. Oh well....I'm a little better now.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks Steph new
      #203067 - 08/05/05 10:29 PM
_Willow

Yeah, you're right..better this happen while I'm on summer vaca!!
And it WILL get better, and that's made me all the more indignant about getting stable again. Hugs to you too, Chiquita!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Ooh, you have to be really careful... new
      #203069 - 08/05/05 10:41 PM
Stephie

When I was in the hospital, I had to check that I was allergic to both bananas and kiwis, so the nurse assumed I was allergic to latex. I told her I wasn't, and she was pretty surprised and said I definitely should watch out for it because latex allergies can be really severe.
Condoms and plastic gloves and stuff don't bother me NOW, but they said to watch out for it.
If they used to bother you, it does sound like that could be it... especially if the foods add up as well.
I'd be really careful in the future, 'cause those allergies can get really nasty!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

I thought I was the only one... new
      #203103 - 08/06/05 07:08 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

who had bananas as a migraine trigger! Not a fan of avocados anyway, so I have even more of a reason now to stay away from them!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: I was reading that kiwi, bananas, avocado are LATEX allergies... new
      #203158 - 08/06/05 01:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yup. Also, banana and avocado are high in tyramine, which wrecks havoc on migraine sufferers.

I love both of the above, but due to my latex allergy and asthma and hideous migraine situation, they're out of the question.

I product too much histamine and get an ITCHY, HIVE-LIKE RASH.

Kate.

Re: Tyramine levels... new
      #203159 - 08/06/05 01:35 PM
Wind

Other things, off the top of my head that are high in tyramine:

Nuts/beans/legumes
Canned fish/shellfish
Pickles
Beer
Chocolate
Red Wine
Sauerkraut
Fermented foods in general
YOGURT, CHEESES, anything really AGED/fermented, dairy
bananas
avocados
Also, with certain AD's you are instructed to avoid high tyramine foods.

I'd better stay away then, I used to get migraines...... new
      #203332 - 08/07/05 12:11 PM
_Willow

actually haven't had one in 6 mos-usu. in winter, but they were weird-they were only a little in my head and mostly in my eyes and stomach-so maybe were just IBS attacks that affected vision etc. ???
Plus since I quit coffee, it's gotten a looooot better.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

most of these things give me IBS or new
      #203333 - 08/07/05 12:12 PM
_Willow

migraines or just nausea. Uh oh! Damn, no fair!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Oh no! new
      #203335 - 08/07/05 12:15 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Shannon, I hope you start feeling better soon! I completely sympathize, getting sick off things that you've had without incident so many times is one of the most frustrating things about IBS for me! It's happened to me numerous times in the last couple of months, too, usually as a combination of stress, heat, and hormones. Anyway, I hope this won't dissuade from eating avacados in the future when you're feeling more stable again. I know I tend to shy away from things that bothered me, even if it's totally irrational because I know it wasn't really because of them that I had problems! I also hope you're able to get away from your stress soon and start down the road to stability. Hang in there!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

You are correct! new
      #203352 - 08/07/05 02:43 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I have a histamine reaction to bananas. I got prick-tested for them at my allergist when I was 19. I have to avoid them at all costs or else I may develop an allergy to avacados and latex. Latex allergies can be so severe that patients die on the operating table due to exposure from latex gloves. I also avoid condoms for this reason-- they make great sheepskin ones but they don't protect from AIDS, so girls be careful!

Bananas and banana-flavored stuff has always given me headaches and D (along with runny eyes and nose and itchy face!) so I avoid them like the plague. A peel in the trash or a coworker eating one will make my throat itchy and start a headache too! I tell everyone at work to get those things away from me, or at least close their office doors when they have one open. People can be really accomodating sometimes if you give them a chance!

Avacados give me major D so I always avoid them anyway.

Foods that make my mouth tingle/break out in sores include lemon, orange, tomato, banana, avacado, onion, peach, nectarines, vinegar, grape, lime, strawberry, pineapple, kiwi, and others... I have a list on my fridge that I took to college with me so my roommates would understand I couldn't eat their cooking. Everybody always saw it and said "WHO'S this Nelly?! She should be DEAD!"

~nelly~

Me too! Some good info can be found..... new
      #203406 - 08/07/05 07:04 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

here and also here you need to scroll down to the middle of the page though to get the good info. There's also some lists of all the foods that contain high levels of amines in them (most if not all of these give me that itchy mouth, an instant sore throat and make my belly gurgle like there's no tomorrow!). Hope this is helpful

--------------------
Amy

holy doodle! new
      #203510 - 08/08/05 09:05 AM
_Willow

I can't eat anything citrusy or vinegary or tomatoey without an immediate GERD attack, so I understand the dietary stuff there...but I'm DEF. getting tested for latex allergy!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Hmm, interesting! Thanks, amy! new
      #203520 - 08/08/05 09:19 AM
_Willow

Yeah I think i have tyramine allergies too. But not severe. So I still have the occasional beer or wine. but I get the flush and the migraine. not worth it.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Thanks Kree.... new
      #203523 - 08/08/05 09:23 AM
_Willow

I'm very strongly believing it's an allergy right now, because literally, attacks that bad happen to me maybe once a year. I know stress played in but the weird feeling in my mouth has never happened with anything but kiwi, pineapple and banana before. It's always best to get tested!

I hope too that things will calm down. I know I've been PMSing too, which is a new thing for me in this life-I've never had PMS before, and think I have had it for 2-3 months. I don't like it!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Thanks Kree.... new
      #203528 - 08/08/05 09:31 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

A weird feeling in your mouth... that does sound pretty suspect. A test sounds like a good idea! And yeah, PMSing always makes me less stable, too. As a matter of fact I had an attack last night and I think that was the main cause, since I didn't eat anything else that should have bothered me. 2-3 months of PMSing, though?? Yikes. How can you live with yourself?

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: OMG, I am having the worst IBS attack in MONTHS because of a freakin.... new
      #203540 - 08/08/05 10:10 AM
anne354

Reged: 02/13/03

I'm so sorry...I know the feeling, and it is truly miserable. All I can say is, GET BETTER!! Go easy, and get alot of rest, etc. You know the drill, as do we all, I'm sure.

Re: holy doodle! new
      #203551 - 08/08/05 10:21 AM
Wind

Shannon, if my recollection is correct, you have evil asthma.
GERDs and asthma often go hand in hand. Also, people with asthma often have histamine reactions to foods in the latex family or foods high in tyramine. Do you get migraines? Start journalling/logging/tracking RELIGIOUSLY re: reactions that are not just IBS related. (Note skin stuff, itchiness/breathing/asthma/moods/headaches...THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!!! I hope you get to the bottom of this so that you can stay on top.)

Kate, IBS-D.

Yep, I have asthma too. -nt- new
      #203629 - 08/08/05 01:43 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1073 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14112

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review