All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
you got it!! new
      #203066 - 08/05/05 10:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

It's been a summer full of very many smallish things gone wrong, but when they pile up like this, they're hard to chop down to size. Oh well....I'm a little better now.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Steph new
      #203067 - 08/05/05 10:29 PM
_Willow

Yeah, you're right..better this happen while I'm on summer vaca!!
And it WILL get better, and that's made me all the more indignant about getting stable again. Hugs to you too, Chiquita!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Ooh, you have to be really careful... new
      #203069 - 08/05/05 10:41 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

When I was in the hospital, I had to check that I was allergic to both bananas and kiwis, so the nurse assumed I was allergic to latex. I told her I wasn't, and she was pretty surprised and said I definitely should watch out for it because latex allergies can be really severe.
Condoms and plastic gloves and stuff don't bother me NOW, but they said to watch out for it.
If they used to bother you, it does sound like that could be it... especially if the foods add up as well.
I'd be really careful in the future, 'cause those allergies can get really nasty!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

I thought I was the only one... new
      #203103 - 08/06/05 07:08 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

who had bananas as a migraine trigger! Not a fan of avocados anyway, so I have even more of a reason now to stay away from them!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: I was reading that kiwi, bananas, avocado are LATEX allergies... new
      #203158 - 08/06/05 01:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yup. Also, banana and avocado are high in tyramine, which wrecks havoc on migraine sufferers.

I love both of the above, but due to my latex allergy and asthma and hideous migraine situation, they're out of the question.

I product too much histamine and get an ITCHY, HIVE-LIKE RASH.

Kate.

Re: Tyramine levels... new
      #203159 - 08/06/05 01:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Other things, off the top of my head that are high in tyramine:

Nuts/beans/legumes
Canned fish/shellfish
Pickles
Beer
Chocolate
Red Wine
Sauerkraut
Fermented foods in general
YOGURT, CHEESES, anything really AGED/fermented, dairy
bananas
avocados
Also, with certain AD's you are instructed to avoid high tyramine foods.

I'd better stay away then, I used to get migraines...... new
      #203332 - 08/07/05 12:11 PM
_Willow

actually haven't had one in 6 mos-usu. in winter, but they were weird-they were only a little in my head and mostly in my eyes and stomach-so maybe were just IBS attacks that affected vision etc. ???
Plus since I quit coffee, it's gotten a looooot better.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

most of these things give me IBS or new
      #203333 - 08/07/05 12:12 PM
_Willow

migraines or just nausea. Uh oh! Damn, no fair!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Oh no! new
      #203335 - 08/07/05 12:15 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Shannon, I hope you start feeling better soon! I completely sympathize, getting sick off things that you've had without incident so many times is one of the most frustrating things about IBS for me! It's happened to me numerous times in the last couple of months, too, usually as a combination of stress, heat, and hormones. Anyway, I hope this won't dissuade from eating avacados in the future when you're feeling more stable again. I know I tend to shy away from things that bothered me, even if it's totally irrational because I know it wasn't really because of them that I had problems! I also hope you're able to get away from your stress soon and start down the road to stability. Hang in there!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

You are correct! new
      #203352 - 08/07/05 02:43 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I have a histamine reaction to bananas. I got prick-tested for them at my allergist when I was 19. I have to avoid them at all costs or else I may develop an allergy to avacados and latex. Latex allergies can be so severe that patients die on the operating table due to exposure from latex gloves. I also avoid condoms for this reason-- they make great sheepskin ones but they don't protect from AIDS, so girls be careful!

Bananas and banana-flavored stuff has always given me headaches and D (along with runny eyes and nose and itchy face!) so I avoid them like the plague. A peel in the trash or a coworker eating one will make my throat itchy and start a headache too! I tell everyone at work to get those things away from me, or at least close their office doors when they have one open. People can be really accomodating sometimes if you give them a chance!

Avacados give me major D so I always avoid them anyway.

Foods that make my mouth tingle/break out in sores include lemon, orange, tomato, banana, avacado, onion, peach, nectarines, vinegar, grape, lime, strawberry, pineapple, kiwi, and others... I have a list on my fridge that I took to college with me so my roommates would understand I couldn't eat their cooking. Everybody always saw it and said "WHO'S this Nelly?! She should be DEAD!"

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2462 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14250

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review