All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Okay, what happened??? What could have done this to me ? new
      #203106 - 08/06/05 07:14 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Quote from Anthem: But I get really annoyed at people here (and I love them all but I still get annoyed) desperately trying to find THAT ONE TRUE TRIGGER (like the Holy Grail) that started their "D", and if they can just find it, they will never again have a "D" attack.

How long have you had IBS? I have had to live with it for 25 years as a child and now an adult and it still does NOT get any easier. I look to this board for advice on things that may have been a trigger, because a lot of them know more trigger foods than I do, and yes, if it may be a certain food I should not have eaten or tried, I'd try to stay away from that food. Yes, it is VERY frustrating to live my life always focused on food and what I eat and when. I'd love to go eat a pizza and have a big bowl of popcorn and wash it down with a couple of Dr. Peppers, but I know I can't. And it's also not fair to us IBSers, that stress plays a big role in an attack, how can you not have stress when people ask you out to eat and your wondering what is on the menu you can eat, or you have to bring most of you own food with you, and like me I'm all of 110 pounds and people think I'm on a "diet" and I get ridiculed, okay more stress. Just like you and I'm sure everyone else on here gets very, very frustrated having to explain our eating habits, people look at you like your an idiot. For each person that looks at me like that, I'd like them to experience one of my most horrid IBS-D attacks just ONCE and maybe they would change there tune. I don't wish IBS on anyone, but this board does help and if someone is having stress about something they might have eaten that could possibly be a trigger, it helps to vent and get suggestions, so hopefully it won't happen again. We all can pray, wish, hope that we never have an attack again, and this board does give us hope. Personally I don't appreciate anyone judging someone for something they may need help or just a little reassurance for, I think we are all here to try to help one another.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good post Steph new
      #203117 - 08/06/05 08:32 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

When you said "The idea of a support board is that we are here to help each other, and most importantly to listen to each other. It is totally naturally to get frustrated, to search for answers, and to want something more", I totally agree.

If the posts irritate you, it is better not to read them and to let someone else respond who can offer some support, advice, or just some sympathy. IBS is very hard on us physically and emotionally...especially when you haven't found relief. You seem to be doing pretty well. But others, myself included, still struggle with horrific pain and symptoms every single day. This is very tiring...and these boards literally save lives when you have no place else to turn and all you want to do is cry because the pain won't stop and you are racking your brain to figure out how to feel just a little better, so that you don't want to just jump off a cliff!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Okay, what happened??? What could have done this to me ? new
      #203132 - 08/06/05 09:32 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm glad you're feeling better - and getting hungry is a great sign. I agree with AtomicRose - stick to really safe stuff for a day or two, then ease back into your usual diet.

One thing I found for myself, that might be encouraging to you, is that the longer I followed Heather's guidelines and the more SFS I got into me, the fewer attacks I had. I've said this before: I know I won't "get over" IBS, but I do believe that the more time my gut has when it's not in an uproar, the better it's able to regulate itself.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Stephie *DELETED* new
      #203136 - 08/06/05 09:44 AM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Edited by Shelby Jean (08/06/05 02:33 PM)

You just brought a tear to my eye, Shelby-nt new
      #203138 - 08/06/05 09:46 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hey Anthem new
      #203144 - 08/06/05 11:14 AM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I agree totally. I am not a male prima dona who needs to be conjuled to hang around or told bluntly to leave. Instead, I am a guy who wants to be supportive of others, since I also need that support from time to time and know how loving it can feel to get it. However, I am wary that perhaps I am at this point in time not helping, even though my overall intent is to help. When someone gives a long diary entry of their food intake and meds, and then plaintively asks "What did I do wrong?" I tend to feel that in addition to giving them a hug, maybe they need a wee tiny brotherly shake! I don't think they did anything wrong, and I don't like the overt philosophy that implies they did wrong. We all know we can eat something bad that will cause a flare-up, but I just don't think every flare-up is due to the wrong food, especially if that person has been eating that food for months WITHOUT a flare-up. So that sense of "what did I do wrong?" does exasperate me, while I think I MUST leave it to more experienced people to respond rather than me. If others feel the most loving response is to "play the game" and suggest that the person ate one banana too many, or had half a teaspoon too much soy milk, or something else, that must be the correct approach, since this area is about diet. So I may have been speaking outside "the box" when this area is for people who truly need to talk about that particular box.

God Bless everyone. I'll still be hannging around, putting my 10 cents in once in a while (are there any states where that is enough to make a phone booth call?).

Best wishes,
Anthem

P.S. I see the same almost superstitious trend in myself. I had a D flare up recently, and wonder "Is it the graham crackers? I've been eating them after dinner as a desert for 2 months but maybe that is it?" At times I think this type of thinking can drive me nuts, which is probably why I am on both Paxil and Lorazepam to round out the edges a bit.

Anthem, new
      #203148 - 08/06/05 11:41 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I saw your post as a frustrated way to make us feel better as wel. You are truly a wnderful guy and your posts are just great! I often get mad at myself too for beating myself up. Once again, truth is, we know just the tip of the iceberg as far as IBS goes, and maybe we can learn from one anothera few things to make this ride less bumpy.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Oy, oh dear... new
      #203149 - 08/06/05 11:43 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Anthem,
I didn't mean to suggest AT ALL that you should stop posting here...
Maybe I worded the post I wrote to you in the wrong way, I even checked it over to make sure that it wouldn't offend you but next time I will be more careful!
What sort of double standard would I be endorsing if I spouted off about this being a support board, and in doing so made someone feel they couldn't come here anymore?
If I offended you, or made you feel unwanted, than I'm really sorry - I truly didn't mean to do anything of the sort.

I laughed out loud when you mentioned that saying something not about diet was thinking outside the box... I don't understand why people that come to this website think that we're like diet dictators. In my responses I almost ALWAYS include something about medications, other lifestyle changes (ie. exercise, yoga, etc) or alternative therapies. By mentioning that it might not be food certainly isn't a new idea, especially to this website.

Don't worry about rocking the boat here, it's pretty much all been said before. And mentioning stress or other factors certainly won't even sway the boat, so you're in the clear.

Good luck!
Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Hey Anthem new
      #203162 - 08/06/05 01:56 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

What did I do right????? Yesterday I ate all kinds of junk. I had 1/2 container of hummis w/garlic on corn chips in the afternoon and some slightly moldy (okay, I DID cut off the bad part) cream cheese with the rest of the chips last night. This morning was the best BM I have had in years. I won't go into detail, but it was like the old days before the IBS monster crawled up and died inside me. I couldn't wait to brag to my neighbor, who also has stomach problems.
Keep posting. I love your sense of humor. A good laugh is the best medicine, and we all need that.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Also good point Anthem new
      #203181 - 08/06/05 03:16 PM
Augie

You make some real good points! Especially when you said "but I just don't think every flare-up is due to the wrong food".

I tend to blame all symptoms on food alone and study my diet with a microscope when it probably isn't so much a particular food as it is my anxiety over eating because I fear the pain the will result.

I guess we all need to be reminded of this as we tend to get consumed in the diet and food and tend to forget about other factors, or even the fact that IBS is not a perfect science....Staying away from all possible "triggers" does not ensure a symptom free life, unfortunatly.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I need to hear it often as I find myself getting rapped up in the foods and forget the anxiety issue. That's why I'm on Lexapro and Klonopin....but need to see if there might be a better choice for me...and I think it's about time I invest in the hypno tapes, which I've been saying for months. I just need to get the money!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 772 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review