All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'M FED UP TO HERE!! Is it food? is it stress? is it sleep? what can i do?
      #202426 - 08/04/05 12:17 PM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

Over the past few weeks, I've been having an increase in IBS symptoms. I'm IBS-D and the doctor says I have IBS.

When I first started on Heather's IBS Diet, it really improved things, dramatically. BUT now, i'm not sure why things are "going bad" again.

Here is what I've been putting into my body in general:
...Sourdough or French bread from a bakery
...bananas
...cheerios/kix/oatmeal/rice chex with some rice or soy milk
...i put deli turkey or chicken on the sourdough/french bread with mustard
...occasionally i have potatoes (with the occasional dollop of baked beans)
...i made the "Brown Sugar Banana Bread"...
...sometimes i put some Rice Dream or Soy Dream ice cream on the Banana Bread, slightly warmed in the microwave.
...sometimes i have had the occasional bowl of "Graham Cereal" or "Post Honey Bunches of Oats".
...Carrots
...Beets
...Fat-Free "Saltines"

My work schedule usually changes a lot, including day and evening and overnight shifts.

Plus, I've had a lot of "post-nasal" drip and wake up with a sinus headache several mornings (though I think the air conditioning may be adding to the aggravation of that).

Monday night into Tuesday AND Tuesday night into Wednesday I worked 12am-8am shifts at work.

Yesterday when I got home from work at 830 am, I had bananas and oatmeal with a couple pinches of brown sugar for breakfast. An hour later, I took a warm bath, sipping on some water. An hour later, I had a bowl of kix cereal, with some Soy Milk. Then went to sleep for about 6 hours. When I woke, I had a banana and a Mission Flour Tortilla and a few Saltine Crackers. I had a "normal" movement (though the "movement" was a bit light in color (but most of the food I've eaten over the past several days has been pretty light in color)). I went to pay a bill. Came home, had another "regular but light" movement. Then I went out shopping for a few hours, then came home and had a banana, 1/3 of a potato and serving spoon of carrots. I sipped some water in between. About 2 hours later, I had a warm flour tortilla, and another warm flour tortilla with some deli turkey (warmed in the Microwave), with mustard. About 1/2 hour later, I had some Mango Flavored Gatorade (about 8-10 ounces). About 2 hours later, I had some Kix, with Soy Milk. About 1/2 later, I had more of Gatorade. I fell asleep about 2 am, then woke at 8 am.

This morning, I woke and had one of my IBS-D attacks. I had a cold banana (i keep them in the fridge sometimes) Then I went to get some more "food" supplies. I went for about a 20 minute bike ride. When I got home, I drank some of the Gatorade. Then I had a bit more of my IBS-D attack.

That is what I'm physically doing. (I do NOT usually drink Gatorade)

Mentally, I wonder if i'm more stressed out and if that is adding to it. This is what is going on mentally:

...over the past year and 1/2 I've been going to see a therapist for depression and stress and, after it became an apparent "trauma", we started working on the sexual abuse i was subjected to when I was a young child.
...in therapy recently, we've been dealing with what my therapist says are very "core" issues dealing with my abuse.
...at the end of this month, i'm flying across country (from Spokane, Washington to Buffalo, New York) for the wedding of my sister. And my family has been a big "issue" in therapy.
....in reality, i'd rather not fly back to New York for this wedding. First because of my IBS. I don't want to travel with IBS. Second, because I have not been back to see these people in over a year and a half, since before I started therapy.

i'm not really feeling all that great about anything at the moment. i'm sleeping bad, especially with allergies and sinus headaches; my work schedule keeps changing (which is unavoidable...since i'm a meteorologist and the weather is not on a 9-5 schedule); i'm in therapy; i have a wedding to go to soon; I DON'T see anything in my diet that is particularly bad...perhaps "HOW" i'm eating is still not great.

But IN THE END, seeing my IBS flaring up, I immediately just blame myself. (Though there is something whispering in me that says, my body isn't defective, but that this is just how my body works and it isn't wrong or right...it is just the way I am.)

But I think, I must be doing something wrong and stupid and I want to "yell" at my stupid body for being defective! And I just am so tired of this. I just want to cry, literally.

i don't know if anyone here can actually help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'M FED UP TO HERE!! Is it food? is it stress? is it sleep? what can i do? new
      #202429 - 08/04/05 12:28 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there *hugs* Sorry you are going through so much!

I too am a sexual abuse survivor.

I took MANY things out of my diet before my tummy got better. I recommend a fod diary. Keep trakc of everything you eat. If you follow Heather's diet to a T and still don't see improvement...let me know...I have a few ideas.

Soy, incidentally, is great for some BAD for others. So watch it. If you feel esp. gassy after eating soy, eliminate it OR take it with beano.

PTS can def. wreak havoc on our bodies...tummies are def. at the top of the list! We freeze/ or have fight/flight reactions with abuse...and this puts a TON of stress on the bod! So keep it in mind! Good for you being in therapy btw!!!

If I think of anything elsse I'll let you know...sorry I'm not 100 at my best I am fighting a UTI or something...

Take care, keep posting!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I'M FED UP TO HERE!! Is it food? is it stress? is it sleep? what can i do? new
      #202438 - 08/04/05 12:39 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm sorry to say but a lot of the things you are eating could cause IBS attacks depending on your level of sensitivity, including most of the cereals, bananas (I can only have a bite of a banana!), bread (depending on the ingredients), deli meats (one of the worst triggers for me because of the nitrates), mustard (egad, can't touch it because of the additives!), ice cream (depending on the ingredients ... for example, I can't tolerate Rice Dream ice cream) and saltines (if it contains additives).

#202445 - 08/04/05 12:49 PM
littlethree

if that is the case, then it must be my fault as I feared.

cherrios have never given me trouble. kix (might).... bananas never have. the deli meats are turkey and chicken (though i guess perhaps they may be "bad" still). the bread has never given me trouble before and neither has mustard.)

maybe I should just stop eating altogether...that would stop my IBS...lol

Pish-Tush (m) new
      #202466 - 08/04/05 01:15 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It is not your "fault" (as I'm sure your therapist would tell you ). You're not stupid. If you're doing something that means your IBS is not getting better, you'll figure it out and fix it. Yelling at your body is fine and so is crying.

My guess would be stress. If I had to fly across the country, to a wedding I didn't want to attend, to see a family I had huge unresolved active issues with, I'm pretty sure I'd be stressed beyond belief. (Actually I did and I was, but that was blessedly pre-IBS.) Add to that a shifting schedule and not enough sleep and (if I remember correctly) being pretty new to Heather's IBS Diet and I think destabilizing is perfectly understandable.

So that's part of it. Now it may be that you can do some food stuff that will help even if you can't do much about the stress right now. If I were to identify a food culprit, I'd pick Gatorade. It has glucose-fructose syrup in it and there is no way to know how much fructose that means. Try eliminating that.

Beyond that, food-wise, you could try - or re-try - the BTC diet or the What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything diet for a few days. That might help settle things down whether it's diet or stress.

Non food-wise, rely on Imodium - maybe try it as a preventive. You might also talk with your doctor about an anti-spasmodic or an anti-anxiety drug. I'd double-check with your therapist about that, though - therapy can be less effective if you're chemically supressing your feelings with anti-anxiety drugs.

And pay attention to that little whisper in your mind. I sometimes think learning to do that is the truest goal of therapy.

I hope this helps. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Everyone is different new
      #202498 - 08/04/05 01:52 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

That seems to be the mantra of these pages! I could probably eat everything you mentioned just fine. And I drink Gatoraide all the time.

But if I'm stressed, plain rice seems to set me off, so that would be my bet on what's the problem.

Hope you feel better soon,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Just because these are "triggers" for Belinda... new
      #202509 - 08/04/05 02:01 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

does not mean that they are unsafe for you. Most people on the boards are fine with turkey or chicken deli meats. Your bread sounds fine, especially since it is homemade bakery bread without preservatives. And most people do okay with mustard too.

All these foods are in Heather's books as being fine for us...so please don't beat yourself up. You are probably okay with most of these, if not all. Bananas may be a problem, so maybe hold off on these...but generally, these are fine too.

Good Luck.

Re: Just because these are "triggers" for Belinda... new
      #202515 - 08/04/05 02:07 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Sometimes just a sip of water is enough to set me off. If my intestines are in a sensitive mood any little disturbance gets them angry. It can be something I eat safely all the time. Yesterday I had a bad day and had been really careful.
IBS gives new meaning to the phrase "gut wrenching".

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Wait a cotton picking minute here! Who promised us no IBS symptoms? new
      #202534 - 08/04/05 03:09 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

OK, this entire thread brings up a larger issue perhaps we need to get straight here and now: DOES EATING HEATHER'S DIET, EATING TONS OF SUPPLEMENTS, DRINKING TONS OF HER TEA AND DOING ALL THE OTHER GOOD THINGS PROMISE US THAT WE WILL NO LONGER HAVE IBS SYMPTOMS? THAT OUR IBS WILL GO INTO REMISSION AND WE WILL BE NORMAL?

I know we all want this, but is this the common experience?

I am IBS-A so I alternate between very mild "C" (where I can usually go once a day, so it isn't really very "C") to where I get "D" which can last for days.

I have yet to find any correlation between my eating and having "D". It seems like the natural IBS-A person pendulum swinging from one side to another, usually in about a monthly pace (maybe it is related to the moon?).

I have kept a meticulous diary for months. I eat the very same foods through good times and bad times. How can it be food when the same food gives me nice plump firm torpedo stools for weeks at a time, then for no reason suddenly I realize I am going into a "D" phase and they become mushy and yucky looking? I don't even have a treatment plan because I already restrict my diet to soluble fiber foods and take a lot of supplements. The cycle seems impervious to everything I do.

I have had people here tell me (in my post about what people consider "stable") that I cannot expect to have no symptoms, but to instead reach a state where I can feel well enough to live a normal life socially and at work, etc.

But then when someone like this person vents about how she has followed all the rules and STILL has an IBS-D attack (and she admits she was diagnosed as IBS-D by a doctor) everyone responds that it is probably some food or stress.

of course, food and stresss can invoke IBS symptoms, but let's say the obvious: WE HAVE IBS! This means we will (like it or not in the real world) have symptoms from time to time that can be inexplicable. Even Heather, in her book on the first year notes that she (the grand dame of IBS knowledge for many of us) still has IBS-D flare-ups that bother her.

Sometimes we have to just accept that our symptoms will get worse, and it is nothing we did, and that the pendulum will swing and they will later get better again. However, I agree it is valuable to ask for the opinions of others (I certainly do). I want to lick this thing too, but I am currently stumped! I was feeling so desperate I almost went to a clinic that has been castigated for quack therapies and is run by a man run out of a number of states for practicing bogus medicine without a license and for killing his own child in the birth process (keeping it submerged over 1 hour in water!).

Frankly, if I have more than 1 banana a day, I get the runs, so I'd cut out the bananas and see if that helps.

God Bless us all to find the path to remission or at least a livable sense of peace with IBS, even with flare-ups. For me, resisting IBS causes the most anguish, rather than the symptoms themselves. I'm glad this forum is here to help each other.

Re: Wait a cotton picking minute here! Who promised us no IBS symptoms? new
      #202574 - 08/04/05 04:36 PM
littlethree

First....I'm male.

If I'm venting it's because I'm depressed and tired and run down and I have no support system in my life, because everyone has betrayed me and I don't trust anyone enough yet to really not feel people are out to "get me" (which is much beyond the scope of an IBS forum). Even online forums scare me.

I've been able to eat all the things I'm eating now (except the Gatorade) in the past few months. And I had no "bad" symptoms....including bananas. I'm already malnourished enough (at 5'11" and 125 lbs). And i don't want to cut out too much of the "few things" I eat because I have NOT decided to stop eating altogether (for now) and figure I need to get some nourishment from whatever I can.

I have read through the "stable" post as well. i'm not expecting no symptoms. But it just seems that three weeks is too much for me to handle with so much else going on in my life.

I'm probably just "venting" because I'm desperately seeking for some sign that it is normal to have these periods. That i'm not the only one. Life feels rather depressing and lonely most days and my IBS doesn't help me feel "good" about myself, because it makes me feel defective. (Even if IBS is not my really "fault", past events in my life have not as of yet been resolved enough to allow me to stop thinking I'm the "spawn of Satan"...which some days is not an exaggeration...i'm not able to believe in my "heart" that it isn't my fault.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 917 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2912

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review