All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
reminiscing something that may be helpful
      #202170 - 08/03/05 02:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Something reminded me of the baked stuff I made when I first was on the diet a year and a half ago. This reminded me of how off I was with how everything worked. I guess I felt that eating what was safe was somehow magic, like the safe food itself should make me feel good. So when I made oatmeal raisin cookies with corn syrup and was bloated after I thought I must have to watch out for corn syrup too. But that was not right. I was bloated because I was still very unstable and not because corn syrup or something else in the cookies bothered me. I couldn't figure out why I would feel bad after safe food; I think many newbies feel this way. The food is not magic; it is only a way to make you gut in general start to act decently. You have to pacify the crabby gut by giving it stuff it can't complain about and eventually it might stop complaining all the time. But the safe food is not magic. It makes it hard to find out what in particular bothers you, but just remember that if you eat something once (that seems all right to others) and you get some symptoms, it might be just IBS itself that gave you the symptom and not the food . For some foods that others find safe it is good to try them more than once to make sure. Like I used to think papayas made me really severe D but I was wrong; it was correctol that gave me D! etc etc etc

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

thanks, a good point n/t new
      #202176 - 08/03/05 03:24 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Hear, hear-more advice to frustrated newbies! new
      #202196 - 08/03/05 04:50 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I strongly agree LM!
This time last year I was so ill rice gave me D. Now I can eat things like chocolate ! (I went off it for four months last year I was so scared to eat any)

Now I can tell much better what I can't eat because I am stable and if I eat, say icecream I get the stinkiest wind and know to avoid it. Red meat makes me run to the loo, although I can stomach a little bacon (like a mouthful) once in a while. Beer gives me immediate cramps as does any alcohol or anything fizzy on an empty tummy (I can manage alcohol on a full tummy though just not beer) Dairy makes my tummy feel hungover. High fat foods can be consumed once in a while but bring about a general feeling of malaise. As you stabilise your confidence with food will come back and you will be able to test out your system without the awful cramping and symptoms AS LONG AS YOU STICK TO THE RULES.

Great post Tamara!

--------------------
S.

EXCELLENT post Tamara! (attn newbies!) new
      #202225 - 08/03/05 05:51 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

This is something really important that took me a long time to figure out too... Attention newbies! THanks!

Re: Hear, hear-more advice to frustrated newbies! new
      #202260 - 08/03/05 08:11 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

So, say if I wake up one morning and I feel fine. Feel/look stable, and I decide to have some white plain rice before I go out somewhere -are you saying that it's possible that I could get an attack?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Hear, hear-more advice to frustrated newbies! new
      #202373 - 08/04/05 10:18 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

It IS possible yes, because there are so many other factors than food. Like, did you get enough sleep last night? Are you experiencing any stress? Have you been getting some physical activity? Is it really humid out? Are you PMSing or on your period (for the ladies)? Have you been missing doses for your SFS?...

Now, something safe like plain white rice is probably the safest option if you are experiencing any of the above stresses, but yeah, you still *might* get an attack Frustrating I know, but I find that it's a lot *less* frustrating when you come to expect that yeah, some days your IBS is just going to be acting up no matter what you do

Re: reminiscing something that may be helpful new
      #202405 - 08/04/05 11:44 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Great post! I'm still not exactly 'stable' so this is something that I really needed to hear. Thanks!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

frustrated new
      #202510 - 08/04/05 02:03 PM
Little Minnie

I thought of something to add to this in the morning and I can't remember what it was! It was good. LOL

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: frustrated new
      #202586 - 08/04/05 05:52 PM
Little Minnie

Ok it was something about how I always swore food played no real part in IBS. I thought that for years because nothing seemed to help and I couldn't find a pattern to what made me worse. Then when I read Heather's site (had heard some of it from a friend) all of a sudden I believed food was a big part! At that point I thought what I ate was the answer, as I said before, like magic. But really diet is like a bandaid for IBS. It can't cure it IMHO, but helps things along, like a sling maybe-yes a very strong sling or support to hold things together as good as possible. But the gut still has its problems down deep. They are mysterious for sure! and I don't mean to sound defeatist but until science discovers more about IBS a strong sling for it is about all we got. And I can't remember anything else I wanted to say. Sorry I am so inept!

--------------------

Re: reminiscing something that may be helpful new
      #202620 - 08/04/05 07:09 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Minnie, that's a great point. I agree that I blamed some foods for my problems for a long time when it turns out it was just the way my system was at the time. For example, after eating a mushroom soup that should have been safe, I blamed the mushrooms and didn't eat them for over a year. It's only recently that I ate some mushrooms again and, after having no problem at all, realized that anything probably would have bothered me that night the year before. It wasn't the mushrooms at all. So yes, it definitely takes a lot of trial and error, and totally swearing off something before giving it a decent shot isn't always the answer. But then again, sometimes it is! That's what's so frustrating about IBS.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1548 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review