--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good point, Amanda new
      #202419 - 08/04/05 12:13 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I think we're all indefinitely searching for the holy Grail but we should be looking for like, 75% peace.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Amanda? new
      #202457 - 08/04/05 01:06 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Do you mind me asking what supplements you take, brand name and dosage amount? Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks so much!

not just yet anyway...:) nt new
      #202470 - 08/04/05 01:20 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

If you find it can you share this! new
      #202478 - 08/04/05 01:27 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I'm confused as to whether you believe it is a stress induced effect on our body or a physical one that we haven't found yet.

I wish I had your faith that it will not be this bad forever. How can you be so sure of this?

very well put- --living a normal life!- nt new
      #202489 - 08/04/05 01:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: What is "stable" for IBS-A people? new
      #202492 - 08/04/05 01:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Thanks. They are not my cats, just from an e-mail I got once of cute photos. I don't know about the thin poop. My guess always was that it was from further up the colon. I think this might not be right but it just seems the thin stuff comes after normal stuff so....

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#202502 - 08/04/05 01:53 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Quote:

Hi, Speaking of poop texture, does anybody regularly suffer
from the thin stool phenomenon? Also, is it due to the colon
constantly spasming? By the way Minnie, I love that pic of
your cats! Is one the parent and the other offspring? -Bob

I have a book about IBS with a drawn diagram of the intestinal tract. It shows a spasm in the large intestine that squeezes the stool so that it comes thru that smaller openning very thin. If you've ever seen them it is a bit like the children's Play-Doh toys. There is one toy where you stuff Play Doh in one end and then squeeze hard, and the big bulk of Play Doh comes out in very thin spaghetti strings. Same sort of principle.

Usually, the stool that is waiting to come out has been there at least a day or more. So if your body begins to have a "D" phase, that stool that was waiting will come out first and may then be firm and thick. Then the rest of the feces that do not have time to go thru having all the water removed and bound into a nice shape just washes out behind it. This is normal too as you go into a "D" phase.

My problem is that I don't have answers for why I go into a "D" phase. I eat the same foods all the time, so how can it be food? I tend to think it is something we do not consciously control much.

Re: Amanda? new
      #202514 - 08/04/05 02:05 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I take the peppermint caps about 3 or 4 times a day, gasx like crazy, and acacia when I remember. I feel a whole lot better when I'm in the habit of taking acacia but it's been a crazy stressful summer and routines of any kind are hard for me to keep up. I completed almost all of the hypno CDs back in March but then had to stop (I moved, went on vacation, had friends staying ... by then I basically had to start over). I am going to resume them soon. They really help. I'm goign to start over from the beginning. That's about it. I also take equalactin, drink Heather's peppermint tea, and take an occasional immodium (though they stop me up for days). Other than that, I do my best to stick to the diet but I'm not obsessive about it. What I mean is, I only keep IBS-safe foods in my house, so my main meals are always safe. But if I'm out one day and I really want a slice of swiss cheese on my turkey sandwich, I go for it. But, I won't eat a big piece of cheesecake. All things in moderation -- and part of being stable means you can cheat a little and get away with it. It also means accepting the fact that on some days I'll do everything right and still feel like crap. That's life with IBS. I feel lucky I don't have anything worse! I am 24, otherwise healthy, and life is good. I try to enjoy it and not let my stomach hold me back!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#202628 - 08/04/05 07:14 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

As someone else mentioned, for me being stable is not having excessive D or C. I tend more toward the C end, so that's what I struggle with more. For the most part if I have a BM every few days I consider that stable. But to me being stable isn't quite that easy to define. I also swing to the A end from time to time, for weeks or even a month at a time, and when I do I just have this feeling in my gut that tells me no matter what I eat it's probably going to give me D or at least make me feel pretty sick. So when my tummy doesn't feel upset like that AND when I'm having BMs, that's stability to me.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1074 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16978

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review