All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
A quick poll for those who have found "stability"
      #201992 - 08/03/05 07:08 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I am wondering if you all eat primarily organic and feel that this has helped you to become better. So, what better way than a poll!

Eating Organic and effects on symptoms
yes, I eat all organic foods and feel it helps
I eat mostly all organic and believe it helps
I try to eat only organic fruits and veggies, but not other organic products and believe it helps
I eat organic chicken and eggs, but conventional produce and believe it helps
I don't eat organic foods and don't believe they effect my IBS

View the results for this poll

Thank you. If you want to make any comments, please feel free to post. I've always been curious as to whether the cost is worth the benefit...or if there is a benefit. There are so many pesticides, I'm concerned about my sensitive body!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Note: This poll is for those who ARE feeling better!-nt new
      #202007 - 08/03/05 07:39 AM
Cyndy

Re: A quick poll for those who have found "stability" new
      #202036 - 08/03/05 08:38 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't deliberately NOT eat organic - I just don't pay much attention to it one way or the other. I think I tend to end up with organic chicken just because that's what my grocery store often carries.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#202058 - 08/03/05 09:18 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I voted that I don't eat organic but I can't really say for sure whether or not they would help my ibs, simply because I've never really been able to eat organic exlusively for any long period of time!

Honestly, if I could afford it, I would eat organic. Not principally because it would help my IBS but because I think it's healthier in general (less chemicals and stuff) and better for the environment, local economies etc... if it helped my IBS, hey! That would be a pretty nifty bonus

But I simply can't afford it right now. I'm really in a place in my life right now where I buy the CHEAPEST items on the shelf And that's really never organic...

#202061 - 08/03/05 09:33 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

It's not that I don't try to eat organic but I am in a very small town where the two grocery stores we have don't carry organic items. We are probably lucky to have some dairy- free and soy items (Veggie brand items). We do have one HFS but they are limited in what they carry. How I would love to shop at an organic food store, but the only one I know is 80 miles away. I do go there on ocassion but not on a regular basis. I don't know if eating organic foods would help or not. I have never had the opportunity to try eating organic for a long period of time.

#202067 - 08/03/05 09:51 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I note that when I am stable, I am eating predominantly organic foods. Also, I have significantly less allergy attacks.

Kate, IBS-D.

#202068 - 08/03/05 10:00 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't eat organic at all. I honestly don't believe it affects my symptoms at all whether I do or not - obviously, since I consider myself stable - and I refuse to pay 3 times as much for produce that looks and tastes exactly the same as the cheaper stuff. As for the rest, we can't even GET organic poultry, eggs or dairy here, as far as I can tell.

If I eat ANYTHING organic, it's stuff I've grown myself... but there's none of that this year, so... nope!

#202070 - 08/03/05 10:05 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am the same way. The chicken I like is organic, but that's because it's packaged the way I like it. I sometimes buy organic eggs, but again,it's because they are packaged the right way. I do read labels, though. (But don't we all?)

Wow, I just took at the results so far... new
      #202128 - 08/03/05 12:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...and I'm surprised, and relieved, to see how many stable people don't eat organic!

I would love to eat organic, but the prices are outrageous and it is difficult to find.

It is good to see that this is not totally necessary to feel better. But don't you all worry about the pesticides and what they may be doing with out sensitive guts? There does seem to be a lot more GI problems with all these chemicals being used.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#202144 - 08/03/05 01:36 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I can't find organic poultry here at all -- ditto for fish and seafood of all kinds. Veggies are rare and VERY expensive. I don't even have room for a garden now that we moved unless it is in small pots -- so I don't bother with organic. I bought some things at first -- but I truly couldn't tell a difference -- and it wasn't worth the price to me.

yeah new
      #202159 - 08/03/05 02:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I just can't pay the prices for organic. I do grow my own organic veggies/herbs and use all natural fertilizer and all that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#202180 - 08/03/05 03:54 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Great poll! I love those things. To tell you the truth I cant even say that I have actually ever went out and bought "organic" food! I am a college student so I can't really afford it.haha Would love to try it but don't see to have the time and I don't really even think about it. I think my success so far has been because of Digestive Advantage and I eat what I want!

IBS- A to IBS-C 9 years(doing alot better now for about 3 weeks!)

Nope, I just don't even give it a second thought. -nt- new
      #202192 - 08/03/05 04:46 PM
atomic rose

#202193 - 08/03/05 04:47 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

This is an interesting poll but sort of strange to me. Who made the assumption that being stable was somehow related to organic food? It might have been more interesting to do a poll and then ask people what they attribute their stability to, so we'd all learn what worked for different people. My dad, for example, never had IBS, but he ascribes his longevity (96 years old) to a glass of Peppermint Scnapps every evening while playing Bridge at the Senior Center!

I believe it's because... new
      #202195 - 08/03/05 04:49 PM
atomic rose

I don't know for sure, because I don't own the books, but I *think* Heather recommends eating organic whenever possible, in her books... that's where this is coming from.

An ex's great-grandmother attributed her longevity (she was 101 at the time) to hot peppers every day. I say these old-timers know what they're talking about!

Re: Availability, Canada, prices, etc. new
      #202211 - 08/03/05 05:34 PM
Wind

Maybe it's me, but it seems like the prices and availability of organic food is better in Canada, or at least in Ontario.
Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Availability, Canada, prices, etc. new
      #202231 - 08/03/05 05:57 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I might have to agree Wind. Our "regular" grocery stores have an organic produce section that is part of the other produce and when you look at the prices they are not that much more. I have not seen such a thing in the US, mind you I have only been in grocery stores in Michigan and I was not specifically looking for organic foods. My grandma and aunt buy organic and the prices they pay are outrageous especially for meat. I buy as much as I can afford, I do not specifically shop organic but I do look for foods with the least amount of additives and unpronouncable hidden ingredients on the label. I am very allergic to msg and I am weary of them changing the name so that it is not easily recognized as an ingredient.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#202277 - 08/03/05 09:55 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Well, I'm mostly stable. But I don't ALWAYS eat organic so I can't say that's the reason.

BUT I definately DO notice a taste difference! I juice daily and when I use organic carrots they taste MUCH better than the ones I buy from the regular store that aren't organic.

Does anyone else find organic just tastes better..or is it just me?

Sorry if I didn't help with the poll...I just can't say honestly because I just don't know!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

neither do I...nt new
      #202280 - 08/03/05 10:09 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Me neither! -nt new
      #202295 - 08/04/05 05:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ruchie new
      #202300 - 08/04/05 05:43 AM
atomic rose

The quality and availability of organic foods over where you are may well be really different from here... and affect the taste, for sure. The only organic produce here ("here" meaning anywhere in the northeast that I've lived) arrives underripe, is so insanely priced that it sits in the supermarket till it rots, and doesn't taste ANY different to me at all.

But that doesn't mean it's "just you". I wouldn't be surprised if you just got MUCH better produce over there.

Re: Generally, I find that organic... new
      #202302 - 08/04/05 06:07 AM
Wind

...foods taste better. However, it does depend on the locale of it's growth and shipping and shelf time.

Sometimes, it does not taste better, when considering that factor.

Kate.

Re: Ruchie new
      #202353 - 08/04/05 09:23 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

That makes a LOT of sense Casey!!

I've never had such yummy tasting carrots as the ones I buy here at Whole Foods...and the best part is, they're cheaper than WalMart's carrots!

All I'm buying really these days are fruits, veggies, rice pasta/rice cakes, dried beans, nut butter, and Imagine Soups. But I STILL can't afford to buy everything organic (oh, that's my food...hubby eats loads of pasta, potatoes, mayo, cereal/milk, rice and beans, potato chips/cookies/clif bars/granola and breakfast bars, oatmeal, meat/fish, stuff like that...totaly different diets!) So...as much as I would like to buy organic all the time, it's NOT happening!!

I love that I go to the store and things might be local grown...more often than not they're California grown though! But it's much better than say living in NY and getting your produce from FL!!

Sorry for the ramble

*hugs* Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks to everyone! new
      #202830 - 08/05/05 10:52 AM
Cyndy

As you can see, the results show that an overwhelming 92% of the stable people do not eat organic poultry, eggs, or fruit and veggies.

This really surprised me. It's good, because it will save me loads on my grocery bill...but bad because I thought this might be the reason I haven't found relief yet. Hopefully, my answer will come in a cheaper method than eating organic!

I would love to support the organic farmers and do believe that organics are healthier, but I just am not able to pay the expensive prices. One day, maybe we will be able to get healthier food without going broke.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4222

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review