All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: soy new
      #202330 - 08/04/05 08:38 AM
Jocie

Reged: 08/02/05
Loc: North Carolina

Thanks so much! That will actually add something else for her to eat and give her some calcium at the same time. I don't want her to eat regular chicken nuggets any more (which she loves) because they are fried. I can't wait to try them.
Thanks again. I can't tell you how much these recommendations are giving me hope that we are actually going to be able to get control of this!
Jocie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

start slowly with soy products though.. new
      #202347 - 08/04/05 09:10 AM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

I'm sure this was mentioned, but if she isn't used to soy, I would reccomend starting slow. It can be hard on the tummy too. I can't have dairy myself, but also have a very hard time with soy. I can handle a little if I use Beano first, but even stil only a little. One thing I have found helpful and not too hurtful is adding soy protein powder to a fruit smoothie every morning and lunch. I get mine at the local Winco in the bins. I too worry about getting enough protein.
Also, did someone else mention that splenda is a nono?
I feel for you,( though I didn't realize that was what my daughter had) my 16 year old has suffered with C since she was 3 weeks old. Drs have never once even mentioned it was IBS. It wasn't until I was hit with the opposite, that I realized that was what it was. Gotta love drs....grrrrr Anyway, hope she is having another good morning. Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: start slowly with soy products though.. new
      #202447 - 08/04/05 12:50 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

Instead of sugar or splenda in her food and drinks. Couldn't you use stevia?

What about rice milk? new
      #202468 - 08/04/05 01:19 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I don't like the taste of soy milk, and it gave me gas, but I like rice milk. I'm not sure if this is something she could have or not, but it might be worth checking into. It comes in a cardboard carton (not refrigerated) on the shelf, usually near the baking goods.

I have it with Rice Chex cereal in the morning. that's a good safe breakfast!!

#202469 - 08/04/05 01:19 PM
Jocie

Thanks, that's good advice. We will start slow. It shouldn't be hard. She has hated most soy products in the past. I believe there was some frozen soy product that she liked which I will try to find again.

Yes, we have cut out all artificial sweetners. I just read today about Stevia though and will try to get some.

I want to say too that she is doing great again today. I am so overwhelmingly thankful for this site. The gastro. only gave us general foods to avoid and seemed so casual that I never realized the difference eating them would make!
Thanks again for your response!
Jocie

Thanks! We'll try it N/T new
      #202471 - 08/04/05 01:22 PM
Jocie

Citrucel chocolate shake is bad! new
      #202475 - 08/04/05 01:24 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

This product contains dairy and is NOT IBS safe. Please do not try it.

That's great! new
      #202477 - 08/04/05 01:26 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

and I can totally relate to how you feel about this site, it has completely changed my life. Though I haven't been dealing with this as long as some others have, I do believe that the best help most of us have recieved has been through sites like this and our own research. The medical community just doesn't have a clue how to help us. Sadly, IBS is just not taken seriously enough.
Boy, I feel for you on trying to change the diet of a child. I have six kids, and I know just how picky some of them can be. Maybe when she starts to put it together with how much better she is feeling, she will eventually accept it. It's hard enough doing it as an adult, so I imagine it won't be much fun. Hang in there..Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#202500 - 08/04/05 01:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My three year old neice is on soy milk now and is very gassy! It is kind of funny in her.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks Little Minnie new
      #202513 - 08/04/05 02:05 PM
Jocie

Thanks for the warning on the gas issue with soy milk.
I was actually just reading on different topics that concern my daughter and read several of your old posts! I appreciate your input/wisdom on the board so much.
Just wanted to let you know.
Jocie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 746 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2732

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review