Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mexican food...
      #201275 - 07/31/05 10:28 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hi Guys,
I am suffering from a terrible attack right now, after eating a large lunch earlier in the day at a Mexican restaurant. I knew it would be a trigger, but I felt I had to go along with what worked for everyone else. 5 or 6 hours later, I was still experiencing terrible gas and bloating, but decided to eat a little something anyway, to settle my stomach, and because I am still trying to regain the weight I lost as a result of an eating disorder. Of course, now I feel worse, and I am beating myslef up for what I've done.

First of all, I would love a bit of encouragement or sympathy from you guys...I feel so desperate and sad and alone when I have an attack like this. I could really just use some support and advice from people who have been through it.

Also, I have been thinking about how I could have better handled the situation. I know I need to work on asserting my needs more, particularly when I am with my family. I would love to know how others have dealt with this.

Lastly, are there any foods you have been able to eat at traditional "ethnic" restaraunts, like Mexican, Indian, and Thai food? (My family loves spicy, authentic cuisine, and it is a huge trigger for me.)

Thanks so much in advance.

--------------------
Julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mexican food... new
      #201279 - 07/31/05 10:43 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Oh, no! I am so sorry to hear about your attack!

When at a restaurant, remember that starches are usually your friend. If fat is a trigger, you have to skip the chips. Order something that comes with rice, and you can ask for two servings of rice and no beans so that you have even more SF. Something like fajitas should be fairly safe for your entree. As you get more familiar with the diet, it'll get easier.

Hope you're feeling better!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#201284 - 08/01/05 12:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah it gets easier. And make the waiting staff your friends! I've found that if you're really polite, smiling and apologetic, most people will be fine to help you out....explaining your problems (no red meat, low fat, no dairy, no salads) and asking for suggestions is always a good idea. Mixing and matching from different items on the menu also works - eg. taking the grilled chicken from one dish and having it with the plain rice from another dish, etc. And if all else fails and they can't help out much, just order a bowl of plain rice or some bread rolls and then have some more food when you get home.

#201320 - 08/01/05 07:22 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yeah, chicken fajitas or sopa de pollo are about the only thing I'll get at a Mexican restaurant, and they're usually pretty safe as long as I don't eat a lot. I think that's also a key for eating at a restaurant - don't stuff yourself! If you're still hungry afterwards, you can have a safe treat.

But there's no reason to beat yourself up - we've all been there. Just drink as much peppermint (or ginger or fennel) tea as you can handle, and remember that this too shall pass.

--AC

#201339 - 08/01/05 08:03 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm so sorry you're suffering and I know how hard it can be to just say "No". I killed myself with Indian food because we had friends who were vegans and it took me about 6 bouts to finally say, "Wait, why am I going out of my way to accommodate their food needs, but ignoring my own?" Okay, done ranting now.

On the bright side, after a little research I can now eat Indian food without dying and Mexican is one of my go-to foods. If you Search on any ethnic cuisine you can think of you'll probably find posts about it. I know I've done ones on Indian, Mexican, Moroccan, and (I think) Thai. So Search away and if you can't find something or still have questions, please ask.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#201568 - 08/01/05 08:27 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Thank you all so much...
It helps to know that you guys have been there. I am still in a lot of pain, but I have decided to just move forward, and learn as much as I can from this experience. It is important for me to honor my own needs, and I don't think I have to do so at the expense of others. Next time, I will try to ask more questions, exercise portion control, and tip the waiter extra for accommodating my needs! Also, I will try to be clearer with my family and friends about what works for me, and what is challenging for me.

Thanks again for you support!

--------------------
Julia

#201949 - 08/02/05 10:08 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

When it is a social occasion when a group want to go to a Mexican restaurant (which throws cheese and other triggers into just about everything!!!), I always order the Fajitas, if they have it. I think I have the right word. This is where they will bring the chicken slices to your table on a hot plate, along with crepes to "make your own" burrito. It will come with creams, cheeses, beans, etc. I then have the ability to pick and choose exactly what ingredients I use. I focus on the delicious chicken in the crepes and leave out the dairy and have never had a problem. So look for that type of hot dish that allows you to "make your own". It is a great dish and allows an IBS'r to get thru it just fine.

I know I do well with pasta, for whatever reason, so no matter what ethnic place I might end up, I try to find something that looks like a pasta, hopefully NOT in a tomato sauce or rich dairy sauce.

Eating out is hard though. One time a romantic lead in my life took me to a fine French restaurant and it cost a great deal of money. Within 2 hours I was at home on the toilet dumping it all out in a violent explosion. THere went a few hundred dollars down the toilet literally. I felt so bad about it, but now we tend to just get the basic chicken BBQ sandwich at Carls Junior (never had a problem with this) and if I am really doing well, an order of fries.

#202315 - 08/04/05 07:33 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

there is a local place that doesn't use fat in their beans (I can handle them) and makes yummy spanish rice... and I just order a chicken and bean burrito with rice adn nothing else in it!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3024 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1180

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review