All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chocolate, Dairy & Heather!!!
      #201180 - 07/31/05 10:28 AM
HL33

Reged: 06/12/05
Loc: Essex, UK

In your "First Year" book Heather you say you eat chocolate almost daily What kind of chocolate do you eat? At first I thought it would be a dairy free one but I remember then reading about someone could eat a snack size Snickers on a full stomach which is def not dairy free
Helen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

butting in..... new
      #201190 - 07/31/05 11:31 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Green & Blacks 70% cocoa choc!! In small doses its a real treat! Also milk choc is ok for me in small doses too, I can eat a whole fry's turkish delight as its only got about 4% fat in it!! But the sugar content is a big much!! Hope that helps x

Heather's point... new
      #201191 - 07/31/05 11:35 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...is that once you're completely stable, you can get away with a little normally-unsafe treat now and then. As far as I know, it's Hershey's kisses, which are definitely not dairy-free. I will say again that you shouldn't attempt them if you're not stable - between the dairy and the fat, you just run the risk of setting yourself back.

When I was in the health food store yesterday, I saw a rice milk chocolate bar. I don't remember the brand, I just remember that it was obscenely priced - almost $4 for a single bar the size of a Hershey bar. Honestly, I prefer to get my chocolate fix from antidepressant brownies and other safe treats like that - it's cheap and won't hurt me!

Re: butting in..... new
      #201194 - 07/31/05 11:43 AM
HL33

Goodness its a small world Nikjones! I grew up in Bath left there 11yrs ago but family stll live there in Widcombe
Helen

Widcombe... new
      #201195 - 07/31/05 11:46 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Yay, I used to work on Widcombe Parade!!! Now work a bit further up, where do you live now?

Re: Widcombe... new
      #201201 - 07/31/05 12:03 PM
HL33

I Live in Essex now but grew up in the house my parents still live in now Queens place which is between the Royal Oak pub & the now closed down Golden Fleece pub next to widcombe jun school, where did you work?
Helen

Re: Heather's point... new
      #201231 - 07/31/05 04:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think she says she eats dairy free bittersweet or dark chocolate after dinner. That is what I remember reading in the book. I found these really cheap chocolate chips that are just cocoa and oil but they are mint flavored and don't go in everything. I have been touchy with even dairy free chocolate and have to be careful. Junior mints are fine for me.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Heather's point... new
      #201237 - 07/31/05 04:26 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Well, I dragged out my copy of "The First Year" and it fell open to the exact page where Heather talks about eating a little tiny bit of chocolate. (I guess I know what caught my eye the last time I read it.) It's also on the Website here about two screens down.

What I get out of this is that you may be able to get away with a tiny serving of an "unsafe" food, after a low-fat, high-SF meal, "if your symptoms [are] well under control". And, yes, she does mention Snickers as well as Hershey's Kisses. Somewhere else she also mentions eating cheesecake - one or two bites every once in a while.

I agree with AtomicRose: the key here is that you be pretty darn stable. And I'd also add that there's no guarantee even a tiny bit under optimum conditons won't cause problems - I imagine it depends on how sensitive you are to what's in your treat.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: butting in.....UK choc new
      #201298 - 08/01/05 03:42 AM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Ooooooh choccie well as a lifelong chocoholic can I just tell you my experience of some bars I've had in the UK perhaps save you some money.
Carob bars- urrrgh yuk!
Sainsbury's free from- if you were desperate perhaps!
Tesco's free from- not too bad
Rice crackle ( get it from sainsburys and tesco's free from section)- not bad either
M&S Dark choc- fine if you like it bitter

My personal favourite, but in small quantity's cause of the fat content is Waitrose Plain choc it's creamy like milk choc but without the milk obviously! It is yum!

Oh and Holland and Barratt do some dairy free choc bars but personally just thought they tasted waxy.
Hope that helps or saves you some money
Susie x

Re: butting in.....UK choc new
      #201301 - 08/01/05 04:31 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

my advice is when stable you can have it on an empty tummy but if not stable stick to ADBs and the like.

I am a chocoholic and had none between August and Christmas last year as it killed my iBS, I did feast on ADBs though, and got my sugar fix from marshmallows and other safe sweeties.

I can do chocolate again (which has pros and cons believe me!) but I know until I was stable I was so scared of it. I would like to be in a halfway place on it now as I just munched on some leftover Tesco Finest BEFORE brekkie today

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2165

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review