All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Staying Hydrated
      #201118 - 07/30/05 07:45 PM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

I'm IBS-D. I've read (in helpforibs.com, I think) that you shouldn't drink a lot of liquids while you are having a meal, if you are IBS-D, because it can make it difficult to keep things from getting water-logged and liquidy when it comes to "movements".

Am I incorrect in this?

I have read about not "guzzling", nothing too cold (though a cold drink is very nice after a hot day ), and to "sip".

But if you are having "small meals" all day long, when does one find time to drink liquids in the scheduling of eating?

I mean it is beginning to feel like a never-ending cycle of being a "chemist", "injecting" all these foods and liquids into your system in a certain balanced and proportioned way so that things don't EXPLODE!!! in your system.

Basically, how do I stay hydrated, how do I drink enough water, without interrupting my IBS-D chemistry?

thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you for putting it so beautifully.... new
      #201120 - 07/30/05 07:53 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

That's exactly how I feel at times....I wish I could help you with an answer, but I too am at a loss.....Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: Staying Hydrated new
      #201123 - 07/30/05 08:24 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Ugh, I totally struggled with this too for a really long time - drinking water when it's uncomfortable to drink until about 1 hour after eating, and you eat every 2 hours! ...but now I do manage to get around 3-4L of water a day. Basically I guess I just progressively tried to drink a little more each day (slowly, not all at once).

Some other things I do...

Without chugging, I also drink as much as I comfortably can about 30 mins-1 hr before I know I'm going to be eating a meal. I guess that only makes sense - eat, 1 hr of digestion, 1 hr drinking water, eat again. I just have to make sure that I have water with my all the time so that 1 hour window doesn't go to waste! lol

I also drink a big portion of my water when I exercise, since I exercise about an hour each day, and I drink about 1L during that hour. I find that I can comfrotably drink a lot more water while I'm working out.

And my last tip - really hot tea. I know that probably doesn't sound too appetizing in this hot weather but I find that with hot tea I can drink a lot more. I try to keep a big pot (about 4 cups) warm and drink it throughout the morning, and then have another one in the evening (usually only about half a pot/2 cups). So, there's 1.5L right there, plus 1L during my workout, and the rest 'sipped' during the rest of the day as I work. I don't always get as much as that everyday - especially if my stomach is acting up or feeling a little gurgly, then I can't drink at all until it calms down.

Anyway... hope that helps a little!

Re: It helps alot, Laurel new
      #201145 - 07/31/05 05:16 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I think you outlined it beautifully. I compulsively drink water and am always thirsty (though this is med. induced to some degree). I'm trying hard not to dilute my gastric juices by drinking too much with meals. So, I've been following the pattern that you have basically outlined.

Of course, I drink way more fluid than you, but I think that's semi-pathological. However, now, I'm trying to follow my m.d.'s advice with the Gatorade think and adding tons of assorted salts, etc. It's challenging for me to drink something with liquid sugar listed as an ingredient, but I FEEL BETTER...and my tummy is better and I'm not falling over with excessive hydration/water intoxication/low blood pressure. So...I'll test it for awhile. There's less gurgling as well.

But, waiting half and hour after eating makes a huge difference before drinking something again. Brushing my teeth takes the edge off the urge to DRINK more water or whatever. IT's JUST SO HARD!!!

I'm experiencing less cramping, too...and this is a good thing; not just tummy spazzing, but muscle cramps in general. It will take time, I suspect...but it's working.
And that pot of tea is a huge tummy and psych. comfort. It's really relaxing! Especially with a big fat juicy book or a wonderful conversation.

Kate, IBS-D.

#201161 - 07/31/05 07:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I disagree with the "don't drink while you eat" line of thought. A book on the digestive tract I read years ago said that the first and most important thing to remember about the digestive process is that it is very wet, so the best thing you can do for it is to consume lots of liquid. I haven't found that drinking with meals or not makes any difference in how my tummy feels. All that matters is that I get enough fluid throughout the day.

BTW, I don't remember reading the "no fluids with meals" rule on the Website or in Heather's books, although I have seen it on the Boards. If anyone has a reference, I'd very much like to read what Heather says about this. Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Agreed new
      #201192 - 07/31/05 11:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm a D-predominant A, and I've tried it both ways, and I've never noticed a single bit of difference in my BM's whether I drink with meals or not. So I do. I literally ALWAYS have a drink in my hand or on my desk, from the time I wake up till the time I go to bed. In fact, I find I feel better D-wise for all that drinking than when I drank less.

I'd like to see the reference in Heather's books too. I know there's nothing to that effect on the site, unless I missed it somehow.

Drinking whilst eating.... new
      #201198 - 07/31/05 11:53 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

They say that if you drink fluids whilst you eat you are "flooding" your system which depletes enzyme activity, making it harder for you to digest your food. You should drink 25 mins before you eat and about 3/4 of an hour after. The best way to stay hydrated is drink at least 2 litres a day (avoiding meal times) that way you won't need to drink when you are eating!

There's my two-penneths worth!!

#201216 - 07/31/05 01:42 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

You exercise an hour a day every day? Good for you, healthy woman! I'm D and have always drank water with meals and it's never bothered me. Haven't heard of the diluting gastric juices or flooding stuff... so much water gets leached out and heads to your bladder anyway. I guess I tend to think that even though our bodies are a little bit broken with IBS, they in general know how to keep operating and though it's good to eat healthy, they don't need us to be biochemsists who balance every molecule. But then, I'm fairly stable, so... others experiences could be different.

Heather suggests... new
      #201257 - 07/31/05 07:35 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...limiting the amount of liquids you have during meals. You can read about it in her link about tips on how to eat here link . I think it's about the 8th one down. But I guess everyone has their own tolerance amount, just like everything else!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Heather suggests... new
      #201330 - 08/01/05 07:50 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thanks, Beth, I missed that. I guess I've now officially become one of the people who doesn't follow Heather's advice to the letter.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4179

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review