Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone else with Type 1 Diabetes and IBS? *newbie here*
      #200940 - 07/29/05 02:39 PM
Elfmaid

Reged: 07/29/05
Loc: Vancouver, BC CANADA

HI!

Um... where to begin... I've had IBS for 21 years and though I haven't been recently for more gastro tests, I suspect they won't find anything wrong AGAIN.

My problems are complicated by having type 1 diabetes... where I am encouraged to eat whole wheat and lots of roughage which of course sets off my IBS. So I am left with the quandary which do I treat? My diabetes or my IBS?

I also have thyroid dysfunction but am on meds for that. Whew! I am going to try to stick to the guidelines here and see if it helps without setting my blood sugars into the stratosphere- but I was wondering if anyone else has been dealing with this combination of very frustrating conditions and had any tips, success stories, encouragement, warnings etc to share please?

I had a VERY bad attack last night and am still trying to recover from that- so I'm going to go read up on the info here and see if that helps me prevent another one today. *whimper*

Thanks in advance for any info, and though it sucks to have this condition I am VERY glad to meet others who can empathise and offer some proactive info!

--------------------
Part Irish and NOT thrilled about having celtic knotwork in my belly!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone else with Type 1 Diabetes and IBS? *newbie here* new
      #200944 - 07/29/05 02:47 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Welcome aboard!

First off, I would try doing a search as the question of diabetes and IBS has been discussed here many times.

Second, you CAN do it and be VERY healthy! Are you IBS C or D (constipation or diarreah?) How many fruit servings can you eat a day?

Thrid...PLEASE read and re-read and re-read again the info. on this website regarding trigger foods, insoluble vs. soluble fiber, and try it out. THEN we will be able to assist you better as you will know what things help and hurt to eat! For ex. some of us can eat nut butters on a rice cake...a very healthy snack for a diabetic! How about soy...if you can tolerate that...you can have soy yogurt, soy milk (they DO make the unsweetened...and I like it but can't tolerate soy)...there's just a TON of varietty! But you gotta find out what hurts/helps to eat first.

If white rice is too harsh for your diabetes...try brown. Is it the most easily digested whole grain. Also try oats, quino, millet, polenta...I'll keep thinking for ya! But please do get stable asap as these things I mentioned CAN be a trigger...but we won't know what's triggering you until you're stable

Hope you start feeling good soon

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#200961 - 07/29/05 03:50 PM
Elfmaid

Well, I've done a search and find that most references to diabetes are people worried about getting it from eating too many starches (which doesn't cause diabetes) and people using it as a description or reference for chronic conditions, but no diabetes-related IBS info that I can see. I'm worried that all this low fibre carb stuff will really screw me up... and smoothies etc aren't an option for me because the cellulose in fruit is what keeps my blood sugars from freaking out. Juices are a no-no, and I have no choice far as artifical sweetners are concerned. I tried that stevia crud and I HATE it... if I want licorice I'd EAT licorice LOL.

White breads and rice and so on in small doses might be ok, but really I have to watch my fibre content.... argh I'm almost in tears just typing this.

*Big breath* Anyways, I am going to do some grocery shopping today and have a handy little list compiled from the 'cheat sheet' and trying not to cry about how limited it is when I cut the non-diabetes friendly stuff from it. I haven't even eaten yet today cause my tummy hurts and I have no 'safe' groceries in the house... took my insulin too. Bweh... I'll have crackers or something when I get to the corner store. My other concern is that I am also recovering from bulimia and that the limited diet is going to trigger binges... if I could just hang in there emotionally and start to feel better viscerally maybe I will be encouraged to keep at it. It's not like my diabetes control has been great with my tummy freaking out on me regularly, so this will be nothing new.

Don't mind me, I'm just venting cause this has been 21 years of frustration for me, and the whole 'new' aspect is going to be a bit hard when I'm already very limited in feeding myself. I wonder if Splenda is ok? I don't seem as gassy with Splenda as I am with aspartame.

Oh, to answer your question, I am most DEFINATELY a IBS-D more like IBS-DDDDDDDD... Immodium is my FRIEND! LOL!

I'm going to try fennel tea today and see if my poor abdomen will un-puff a bit (my pants that fit yesterday aren't fitting today, darnit) and see if my belly will calm down. Wonton soup time! I live off soup, I swear I do... traditionally it's the only thing I can eat after a bad attack like I had last night. Fish ball soup is the bomb... and my local beautiful chinese community here has many many good places that serve a mild soup that settles things right down and rehydrates me and gets my electrolytes back to normal too, bless them!

Sorry to blither... there's so much to learn, so much to deal with and yet I'm oddly hopeful that maybe the long years of being fondly called 'Little Miss Methane' will be a thing of the past.

I really appreciate the help... you probably know from long experience how desperate things get after so many years of living with this.

*Wobbly brave grins*

Elfmaid

--------------------

#200964 - 07/29/05 04:24 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Diabetes is way out of my league, but I know there have been some posts from people with either hypo- or hyper- glycemia, so you might have some luck if you Search on stuff like "hyperglycemia", "hypoglycemia", "glycemic index". I know that's not the same as diabetes, but it might at least give you a handle on what people are doing about all those carbs.

As for thyroid problems, Kandee is our resident expert, so you might search on "thyroid" and look especially for posts by her. I do know she strongly discourages people with thyroid issues from consuming soy. I have thyroid problems and my endocrinologists stance is that she doesn't mind me eating soy in moderation, but she insists I must wait at least an hour after taking my Synthroid before having any soy. I use rice milk rather than soy milk, but I do sometimes eat soy ice cream and soy sour cream.

There was a very recent thread on Splenda - you can Search on it, but I seem to remember that the overall consensus was not good.

Explain to me why smoothies are a no-no because of the cellulose. You lost me on that one.

There are soluble fibers other than white bread and white rice, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, bananas, applesauce. Maybe you can make those more of the basis of your diet.

Not being able to do the sweets is tough - I conned myself into staying on this diet by eating way too many at the beginning. I truly don't know how totally you should stay away from sugar, but there is a very popular recipe on the Boards for AntiDepressant Brownies (ADBs) and Linz recently posted that she's made them with far less sugar than normal and they're still good. Maybe they'd be a possibility for you?
Original Recipe
Linz' mods

There are also recipes like Kree's CrockPot Chicken Stew and ShellMarr's Meatloaf and Skinny Mashed Potatoes that I'd hope would be doable for you.

Have you tried peppermint tea? It does seem to help settle my tummy down. Unless, of course, you also have GERD or reflux.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#201011 - 07/29/05 09:10 PM
Elfmaid

Hello!

Thank you for the feedback and the kindly meant words, I don't know if mere words can express how thankful I am for everyone's help and empathy!!

Yes, I shall definately look into those kinds of searches you've mentioned and hope for the best... it's hard when one condition's treatment is the opposite of the other.

So far my very careful day has been ok with only a tiny bit of bloating. I found an iced tea made with splenda and completely forgot that the tea part has caffeine- I only had one but so far so good. Woopsies. I bought plain koolaid that I will sweeten with Splenda and see how it goes- cause there is no other sweetner I can use having diabetes- I may just have to live with the consequences or give up any flavour of drinks for the rest of my life- and THAT is not an option.

As for thyroid problems, Kandee is our resident expert, so you might search on "thyroid" and look especially for posts by her. I do know she strongly discourages people with thyroid issues from consuming soy.

Woo, I didn't know that! *looks stunned* I guess it's a good thing that I got Rice Dream instead of soy milk then today. I just hope it doesn't use up all my carb choices or something stupid like that. *grinds teeth in frustration* More research! But it's ok... I'm used to doing that! LOL!

There was a very recent thread on Splenda - you can Search on it, but I seem to remember that the overall consensus was not good.

Uh oh... not sure what to make of that. I shall have to investigate and see what my own unique stupid phisiology decides to do. Stupid bowel... grrrrrrrr. Can I rip mine out with an oyster fork and dance on it?

Explain to me why smoothies are a no-no because of the cellulose. You lost me on that one.

Ok, with diabetes (especially type 1 like I have) fruit is an ok thing so long as it is a WHOLE fruit and not purree'd basically into juice. I've tried to make smoothies before and within a few minutes of drinking it, no matter HOW much protein I put in it, my blood sugar is scarily high. The cellulose in the whole fruit is what keeps the fructose and other broken down sugars from entering the bloodstream within seconds- once those slowing down agents are gone, a person with diabetes gets one HECK of a blood sugar spike. Drinking fruit juice is exactly the same as drinking a regular sugared drink or eating a couple of tablespoons of sugar. It all comes down to fibre and so on... in treating diabetes, fibre is what slows down the absorption of sugars of ANY kind... and it happens to be the enemy of IBS at the same time: thus my quandary.

There are soluble fibers other than white bread and white rice, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, bananas, applesauce. Maybe you can make those more of the basis of your diet.

That's what I'm thinking too, but I have to add at least an ounce of protein of some sort with each meal, or the carbs will nail my blood sugars to the ceiling- I just don't know about the whole fibre thing, so I may have to go to a dietician and maybe get more info that I'm all too happy to share on here! ^_^

Not being able to do the sweets is tough - I conned myself into staying on this diet by eating way too many at the beginning. I truly don't know how totally you should stay away from sugar, but there is a very popular recipe on the Boards for AntiDepressant Brownies (ADBs) and Linz recently posted that she's made them with far less sugar than normal and they're still good. Maybe they'd be a possibility for you?

YUP! I can do regular non-diabetes desserts, I just have to watch my portion size and combine that good old protein and fibre thing... it's going to take some juggling I can see, but hey, I'm thinking that not trying to turn myself inside out every two or three days will be worth it! And to think my endocrinologist tried to put me on metformin!!!!!? I thought I was going to die... honestly- the side effect of that medication is 'abdominal discomfort'... on TOP of rampant IBS... I'm telling you, it was nearly a trip to the hospital.

There are also recipes like Kree's CrockPot Chicken Stew and ShellMarr's Meatloaf and Skinny Mashed Potatoes that I'd hope would be doable for you.

I shall try it out!!! At this point I have absolutely NOTHING to lose. I can't imagine a life without pain and bloating, without hours spent worrying where the next bathroom is, whether I'm going to be able to wear certain pants with or without elastic waists or swallowing GasX by the handful.

Have you tried peppermint tea? It does seem to help settle my tummy down. Unless, of course, you also have GERD or reflux.

The tea is ok, but after a while I get really tired of it. Same with ginger tea and so on... but maybe now that I'm not drinking milk or eating red meat etc it might need to be drunk a bit less? I don't know but I am VERY hopeful.

You should have seen me at the grocery store today, reading labels and weeping- I'm just so frustrated right now. I also got myself some Glucerna- a diabetes friendly meal replacement made with soy. It helps a lot when I've had a really bad time and my gut doesn't mind it as much as eating sometimes. At this point a radical change won't hurt any more than the stop and go cycle I've been doing around the pain and my erratic blood sugars... pain raises blood sugars so no WONDER I have never managed to get diabetes control. I'm open minded about the whole experiment and as I've mentioned I have absolutely nothing to lose.

Thank you again for the help you guys, I'm still open to more info- yes, even despite my frustration I try and keep my spirits up... after all I'm still alive when many doctors have said I shouldn't even be here... and believe me, knowing that I'm not alone in dealing with this while it saddens me, I can't help being relieved!

*more wobbly brave grins*

Elfmaid

--------------------

Aha! Found it! new
      #201045 - 07/30/05 08:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

For some reason in the middle of the night last night, I thought, "Didn't Heather write something about adapting her diet for diabetes?" She did (she's so great) and I found it. Here's the link. (BTW, she provides a very small ray of hope with regard to Splenda.)

As a serious anticlimax, here's my response to your post:

Quote:

Thank you for the feedback and the kindly meant words, I don't know if mere words can express how thankful I am for everyone's help and empathy!! Mere words are always good.

Yes, I shall definately look into those kinds of searches you've mentioned and hope for the best... it's hard when one condition's treatment is the opposite of the other. If you have trouble finding stuff, please say so.

Ok, with diabetes (especially type 1 like I have) fruit is an ok thing so long as it is a WHOLE fruit and not purree'd basically into juice. I've tried to make smoothies before and within a few minutes of drinking it, no matter HOW much protein I put in it, my blood sugar is scarily high. The cellulose in the whole fruit is what keeps the fructose and other broken down sugars from entering the bloodstream within seconds- once those slowing down agents are gone, a person with diabetes gets one HECK of a blood sugar spike. Ah, gotcha. The sugar has to be in captivity, rather than unleashed. ... in treating diabetes, fibre is what slows down the absorption of sugars of ANY kind... and it happens to be the enemy of IBS at the same time: thus my quandary. Well, actually only IF is problem for IBS - SF is good. I put some of my SFS in my smoothies. If an SFS is tolerable for you, would it perhaps help slow down the sugar absorption?

I have to add at least an ounce of protein of some sort with each meal, or the carbs will nail my blood sugars to the ceiling There was a very recent (still active) post about safe portable protein sources - I just don't know about the whole fibre thing, so I may have to go to a dietician and maybe get more info that I'm all too happy to share on here! Heather suggests that in her FAQ on diabetes.

YUP! I can do regular non-diabetes desserts, I just have to watch my portion size and combine that good old protein and fibre thing Ooh, ooh - there's a recipe on the Recipe Index for black bean brownies - supposedly they're great. And to think my endocrinologist tried to put me on metformin!!!!!? I thought I was going to die... honestly- the side effect of that medication is 'abdominal discomfort'... on TOP of rampant IBS... I'm telling you, it was nearly a trip to the hospital. Yeah, I heard one of the side effects was "possible diarrhea". I assumed that translated into instant misery for IBSers.

You should have seen me at the grocery store today, reading labels and weeping- I'm just so frustrated right now. I can only imagine. The number of grocery items with stuff in them that I can't eat "just" because of IBS was shocking enough when I first started out.

Thank you again for the help you guys, I'm still open to more info The weekends can be a little slow. If no one else pipes up on Monday, try bumping this so it doesn't get lost in the weekday rush. - yes, even despite my frustration I try and keep my spirits up... after all I'm still alive when many doctors have said I shouldn't even be here Me, too, for different reasons - I sometimes get this mad desire to shout "So there". ... and believe me, knowing that I'm not alone in dealing with this while it saddens me, I can't help being relieved! A joy shared is a joy doubled; a sorrow shared is a sorrow halved.

*more wobbly brave grins* Love those - very effective.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#201070 - 07/30/05 12:26 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I have IBS-A (tend more towards the D side)and diabetes as well. I can't have a lot of the carbs recommended as high glycemic is a HUGE no no. Let me start off by saying that keeping the blood sugars under control is FIRST AND FOREMOST. As you know, diabetes, if left un-treated, leads to organ failures and death. IBS, although a horrible condition to have, does not lead to death (although I feel like I am going to die during bad attacks).

I may be lucky in that I can tolerate all kinds of vegetables without setting off an attack. I eat eggs with spinach, tomatoe and mushrooms for breakfast, chicken or fish with a veg for lunch and chicken or fish, a veg and a low glycemic carb for dinner. This may consist of a small red potatoe, a small portion of a low-carb pasta, or a low carb tortilla. If you can't handle vegetables, even well-cooked, I suggest that you puree them and use them as a sauce over your fish or chicken. Pureeing is probably the safest way to eat vegetables. I really don't attempt any fruit except applesauce and only with a meal. I load up on the cheeses as well to add calories and protein. I can handle regular cheese, but they have rice, soy and almond cheeses as well. I also eat peanut butter and a few crackers or cottage cheese for snacks. I can also handle oatmeal and will sometimes have it with my eggs in the morning or as a snack with a protein shake. They have egg white protein powder at the health food stores.

Let's see, as far as the D goes, you might want to try a calcium carbonate supplement. Caltrate makes them. They are just a daily supplement of calcium. Read the box and make sure it says calcium carbonate. I use the one in the pink box. Some people take it 3 times a day with their meals. The excess calcium works wonders for absorbing excess fluid in your colon. It has literally given some people with severe D their lives back. Of course, there is also Immodium. I personally only take immodium during the bad times and calcium daily.

Oh, and by the way, Metformin is HORRIBLE for the D people. It gives "normal" non-IBS people bad D. My doc prescribed Avandia. This drug does not have the D side effects.
Hope some of this helped.

--------------------
Dana

#201119 - 07/30/05 07:53 PM
Elfmaid

Hullo Dana!!

Quote:

Let me start off by saying that keeping the blood sugars under control is FIRST AND FOREMOST. As you know, diabetes, if left un-treated, leads to organ failures and death. IBS, although a horrible condition to have, does not lead to death (although I feel like I am going to die during bad attacks).

Yeah, I hear you... the attack I had on friday night triggered by a 'treat' of KFC nearly had me passed out on the floor of my bathroom. That's when I found this site and decided I have nothing to lose. My diabetes control is awful, and has been for the entire 14 years I've had it. I'm doing the Break the Cycle part right now so even if the carbs are a bit high, at least I am eating SOMEthing. Had a couple of lows already today, but nothing I couldn't handle. I'm feeling MUCH better already.

Your information on the meal plan IS very helpful! THANK YOU! I was wondering how one would handle the protein angle, and I've yet to try peanut butter, waiting to see how things settle out here first- and so far so good! I'm taking notes here to see how I can try these things as I move along the recovery path here.

Quote:

Let's see, as far as the D goes, you might want to try a calcium carbonate supplement. Caltrate makes them. They are just a daily supplement of calcium. Read the box and make sure it says calcium carbonate. I use the one in the pink box. Some people take it 3 times a day with their meals. The excess calcium works wonders for absorbing excess fluid in your colon. It has literally given some people with severe D their lives back. Of course, there is also Immodium. I personally only take immodium during the bad times and calcium daily.

EXCELLENT! I shall try it once I talk to my GP and get more blood work done- want to make sure my severe anemia is better... it's been really bad, especially since the iron supplements just kill me (or make me wish I was dead, it hurts SO bad!) Once I get the ok then I shall try that and see how it goes. I have Prodium in tablet form here, and maybe I will try using it again and see if it helps.

Quote:

Oh, and by the way, Metformin is HORRIBLE for the D people. It gives "normal" non-IBS people bad D. My doc prescribed Avandia. This drug does not have the D side effects.

REALLY!??? woo! Well we weren't sure if the metformin was helping my insulin resistance or not since I couldn't tolerate it... I had three attacks in one day because of it and had lost all my hydration- I ended up drinking a lot of sports drinks and taking super fast acting insulin to cover it in the attempt to get my electrolytes back up to par. What a nightmare. I'm one of those unfortunate type 1's who has thyroid problems and obesity as a result and MAN it's been sheer hell trying to deal with it all while my gut is throwing almost daily trantrums. I shall talk to my Endo about that next time I see him- AFTER I get my tummy to behave itself and stop whacking all my electrolytes off the deep end and making diabetes control even harder than normal as a result.

Quote:

Hope some of this helped.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh you have NO idea HOW much, and how appreciative I am that there is hope! Half my problems have been from not eating properly all these years cause, quite frankly, I was afraid to 'cause of the pain... then get ravenous and trigger attacks that would sometimes exacerbate my diabetes and land me in the hospital. I'm really hoping to talk to my health team and adjust portion sizes and fibre and proteins and get this show on the road again, withOUT my gut freaking out and wrecking my world.

THANK YOU! ^_^

--------------------

#201121 - 07/30/05 08:21 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I am soooo glad my info was helpful for you. When I was diagnosed with IBS, I kept telling myself, "hey, at least I'm not diabetic". Now...I'm diabetic!! Oh, the curves life throws us. I have this philosophy that whatever life throws at you was meant to be - for whatever reason - I am supposed to be experiencing these things in life. It is part of my life's grand master plan. So, I take these things (diabetes, IBS, losing a job, whatever...)as challenges to overcome. I digress...

Anyway, I just noticed that you are from Canada - I heart Canadians. I had a roommate who was from Canada. I have found that Canadians are the nicest, most thoughtful and caring people I have ever met. Is there something in the water, or do your parents just raise exceptional people??

Hey, and I was very proud to see that you are Irish as well. ME TOO!! My mother's maiden name is Mckee. I named my daughter Quinnlan to try and keep a little Irish in the family name as my husband's last name (and mine now)is Stimson - not very Irish.

I really really hope that you get to feeling better. I will keep you in my prayers.

--------------------
Dana

Re: Aha! Found it! new
      #201125 - 07/30/05 08:42 PM
Elfmaid

Hullo! ^_^

Looks like I'm going to quoting your quotes! *blinks and laughs*

Quote:

As a serious anticlimax, here's my response to your post:

Anticlimax? Oh heck no! I appreciate the sharing and the caring BELIEVE you me! I'm really touched that others are willing to help me here- 21 years with this stupid condition has forced me to have a sense of humour and it's great to finally meet others who 'get it'.

Please pardon the creative snippage here, the post will turn into novel format if we don't LOL.
Quote:

Well, actually only IF is problem for IBS - SF is good. I put some of my SFS in my smoothies. If an SFS is tolerable for you, would it perhaps help slow down the sugar absorption?

Well, as I mentioned to Dana, I have Prodium tablets I can try- I've used them before with pretty good results but I wasn't sure how WELL I was tolerating just THEM since I wasn't practicing the 'safer' methods of eating at the time.

Quote:

YUP! I can do regular non-diabetes desserts, I just have to watch my portion size and combine that good old protein and fibre thing Ooh, ooh - there's a recipe on the Recipe Index for black bean brownies - supposedly they're great. And to think my endocrinologist tried to put me on metformin!!!!!? I thought I was going to die... honestly- the side effect of that medication is 'abdominal discomfort'... on TOP of rampant IBS... I'm telling you, it was nearly a trip to the hospital. Yeah, I heard one of the side effects was "possible diarrhea". I assumed that translated into instant misery for IBSers.

I will happily try the brownies! A treat every now and then will discourage binge-eating and if it doesn't make my gut do the firey-celtic-knotwork-of-doom-dance so much the better!

Oh read the post I put up for Dana about the effects of metformin... I seriously thought I'd have to get IV fluids again! I HATE the Emergency Rooms, and especially getting MORE pokey holes in my arms since when I'm dehydrated it takes multiple tries to get an IV in *shudder*.

Quote:

You should have seen me at the grocery store today, reading labels and weeping- I'm just so frustrated right now. I can only imagine. The number of grocery items with stuff in them that I can't eat "just" because of IBS was shocking enough when I first started out.

exactly... and my empathies... it was awful enough when I first was put on insulin and my meal plans got limited cause of sugar content etc... adding the IBS factor - well it's not as bad as I'd feared, but my mood was really awful cause I'd had that bad attack. 8/ But then again you know how THAT goes too, bless you.

Quote:

after all I'm still alive when many doctors have said I shouldn't even be here Me, too, for different reasons - I sometimes get this mad desire to shout "So there".
Quote:

YEAH! You tell em! Woop! *cheers for you*
Quote:

A joy shared is a joy doubled; a sorrow shared is a sorrow halved.

Ohhhhhhhhh I've never heard that before! I LIKE it! ^_^

Thank you again for the info and *especially* the support, this has been hard enough to deal with alone, and now that I have some hope I'm certain that many of my other difficulties will be easier to deal with too! ^_^

*Happy dances*

--------------------

#201127 - 07/30/05 08:54 PM
Elfmaid

Quote:

I am soooo glad my info was helpful for you. When I was diagnosed with IBS, I kept telling myself, "hey, at least I'm not diabetic". Now...I'm diabetic!! Oh, the curves life throws us.

*rolls eyes in empathy* Oh man I HEAR you! bleh!

Quote:

I have this philosophy that whatever life throws at you was meant to be - for whatever reason - I am supposed to be experiencing these things in life. It is part of my life's grand master plan. So, I take these things (diabetes, IBS, losing a job, whatever...)as challenges to overcome. I digress...

Ah but it's a very GOOD digression. It just so happens I am of a similar philosophy, and despite the (scuse the pun) 'bellyaching' you see me doing here, I'm usually a very cheerful person who tries very hard to be nice to everyone and generally make the world a good place despite the challenges of daily existance. Health problems just happen to be one of the hurdles I get to try and dance over- I mean it wouldn't do to just plain jump[- oh no- I have to always be just a little different *rolls eyes and laughs*

Quote:

Anyway, I just noticed that you are from Canada - I heart Canadians. I had a roommate who was from Canada. I have found that Canadians are the nicest, most thoughtful and caring people I have ever met. Is there something in the water, or do your parents just raise exceptional people??

Woot! Well it just so happens I heart most Americans too, so at least you know the feeling is mutual! I'm not sure WHY we canucks are this way... or to be more realistic why MOST of us canucks are this way... maybe it's cause the weather tends to be so cruddy that the people have to be nice to each other to make up for it? (that's one of my pet theories anyways) LOL

Quote:

Hey, and I was very proud to see that you are Irish as well. ME TOO!! My mother's maiden name is Mckee. I named my daughter Quinnlan to try and keep a little Irish in the family name as my husband's last name (and mine now)is Stimson - not very Irish.

S'ok, I've met many Irishy folks who aren't Irish in heredity- name or no name, I think it's an attitude more than anything. ^_^ In actuality I'm a hybrid of english. irish, welsh, french, polish= Canadian... but with my stubborn streak I tend to see that more from the side that happens to be from Ireland *snicker* I'm also too laid back to be 'typical' anyways- but it's fun to wear knotwork jewellry and salute the side of family I KNOW the diabetes came from... :P

Quote:

I really really hope that you get to feeling better. I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you!!!! Hey, any positive thinking and prayers etc are all appreciated and reciprocated! If today is any indication of how this recovery process is coming, I have real hope... things are settling down nicely and I'm looking forward to not dreading wandering off to the bathroom for the first time in years!

HUGZ! ^_^

--------------------

#201226 - 07/31/05 03:27 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Howdy!

Well, my husband has type II diabetes, so we're trying to work towards a compromise diet. I believe that soluble fiber helps blood glucose more than insoluble fiber, so that's one way helping your diabetes will help your IBS.

Rye bread, barley, sweet potatoes (Heather has a nice roasted sweet potato salad in Eating For IBS), and broiled fish are all things that work well for both of us. There's not much compromise between us with fruit , but there a lot of veggies that are good for both of us. I'm guessing oatmeal would also work, although it hasn't been cold enough to make any since his diagnosis.

A lot of the IBS treats are as sugary as heck, but there's plenty of healthy foods that won't send you into shock. And hey, we shouldn't be snarfing down the sweet stuff anyway, right?

--AC

For Elfmaid: Good Unsweetened Teas new
      #202322 - 08/04/05 08:16 AM
Jocie

Reged: 08/02/05
Loc: North Carolina

Hi, I just read through recent posts and saw yours. I wanted to let you know that I too have a thyroid problem and for awhile gave up all sweeteners before I found Splenda.

During that time I found two Celestial Seasonings teas that I could drink iced with no sweetner. The Black Cherry Berry and the Raspberry Green tea have no caffeine and are really good even without sugar!!!

My 9 yo daughter is the one with the IBS. She also is hypoglycemic, so we too are trying to manage her diet while balancing her blood sugar.

Though it is not as serious as diabetes, I can certainly understand the difficulty of finding foods to eat! If you find anything particularly helpful to you, I would love to hear it.

One positive note, I started my daughter on this diet 2 days ago and she is already feeling better.

Jocie

Diabetes Dilemma new
      #202366 - 08/04/05 09:50 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've had IBS for 47 years and on top of that I battle blood sugar problems. Diabetes is rampent in my family. I have been hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) for 22 years and am unable to tolerate sugar for about 20 years now. I get dizzy spells if I were to consume sugar so I gave it up probably about 10 years ago (except for a small quantity in the bagels and white bread I eat).

I totally sympathesize with the issue of the diverging diets -- Heather's diet (white flour, white rice, etc.) is not good if you have a blood sugar problem.

I guess the best thing to do is to speak to your doctor. Since I am not yet "officially" diabetic (I've been told I will eventually have Type II diabetes), I am not in the same immediate dire straits as you are.

I worry, though, about the day I am because Heather's diet has to come first for me ... I simply cannot function in pain and agony with my IBS. I just hope that there will be an effective IBS medication available on the market by the time I get diabetes so I can eat a diet better geared to controlling diabetes.

In the meantime, I try and keep fit and maintain a trim body weight (I'm battling a middle-aged tummy bulge right now!) to put off getting diabetes for as long as I can. Of course, part of the preventative measures for diabetes is to eat a diet with more whole foods (like whole wheat, brown rice, etc.) and stay away from refined foods that contain a lot of sugar like white flour, which I am unable to do because of my IBS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1738 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1583

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review