All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What do you think?
      #20075 - 09/09/03 01:00 PM
monkeyman

Reged: 09/09/03

I am a 30-year old man who has always been battling his weight. I may also be a little bit of a hypochondriac which is a constant bother as well.

I also have never been to excited about change, and frankly it stresses me out. About three years ago, I was working in a high stress job and about 3 months short of getting married and I noticed a change in my bowel habits. I convinced myself I had colon cancer (at 27) and the doctor said I was ridiculous-- not in so many words.

Now, fastforwarding to 2003, I am 30, recently purchased a new house with my wife, and have a baby on the way in February. I also have a constant worry about future finances and oh, about everything in particular. The baby being the latest and most wonderful thing of course. However, when change comes, the stress has always seemed to manifest itself physically with me.

Long story not as long, about a week ago, I returned from vacation and on Tuesday morning I had a terrible stomach ache and had a bowel movement, it was normal.. and followed my medium (which is very big) dunkin donuts iced coffee. After that, I had what seemed like diarrhea until lunch time. The only difference was, it was very mucousy on the toilet paper. I know this is graphic, but possibly not uncommon.

Instead of taking it in stride, I freaked, and I have had this before. Since then, it's been mostly mucousy and my stress levels-- high as they are go up, probably exascerbating the problem.

I have been eating a lot of junk lately, especially since my vacation, but now I guess I am really aware of things.

In fact yesterday, things seemed better, no mucous, today, again, I stupidly got my iced coffee again. Same result, I saw the mucous and freaked, and then spent most of the morning in the bathroom. I do have some degree of achiness in my lower left abdomen.

My brother has crohn's disease, my sister Barratt's Esophagus. It appears that strong digestive tracts do not run in my family. I had a clean physical in November.

Is my story uncommon?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do you think? new
      #20081 - 09/09/03 01:27 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi and Welcome to the boards,

Although your story may seem the same as ours - you should really go to the doctor and get the necessary tests. Sometimes other issues mimic IBS symptoms.

You want to be sure,
Take care and keep us posted.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#20090 - 09/09/03 03:26 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I agree with Lana about having the tests done to be sure. I'm assuming your physical did not involve all the tests you need to go through for an IBS diagnosis.

In the meantime, you can start following the IBS diet and hopefully you can find some relief.

Good luck!

...I replied on The Living Room board.... -nt- new
      #20102 - 09/09/03 04:49 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

#20132 - 09/09/03 08:25 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Mucous in the stool does not necessarily indicate anything besides IBS, though of course you should have all necessary tests done if you have not already done so. The GI doc I saw this summer was much more concerned as to whether I'd ever seen blood in my stool (no, I haven't--have you?). Dairy products cause a similar effect for me as the iced coffee does for you. I'd give it up ASAP. Try a decaf iced chai made with soy milk or something similar. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 653

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review