All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Gatorade and Sports/electrolyte drinks
      #200708 - 07/28/05 10:24 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

My doctor wants me to drink these. I have terrible sodium/chloride levels. So, what's your favourite brand/flavour? I'm going to brave the store within a day or two and want to try a few. I grabbed a few last night and quite frankly I feel ALOT BETTER. I'm less dizzy/fuzzy/woozy.
My tummy feels better, too. Please advise re: favourite brands/flavours.
I just find them too sweet.
Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gatorade and Sports/electrolyte drinks new
      #200729 - 07/29/05 02:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

DO a search on sports drinks and you should find a load of advice I got...including a recipe for a home-made drink. Alot of the store ones have sweeteners in them so watch out for this.

Re: Yes, I searched on that... new
      #200735 - 07/29/05 04:15 AM
Wind

Linz:

I did a search on Gatorade/sports drinks and found lots of comments. My doctor doesn't want me mixing up my own. She told me to try some of the GATORADE BRAND ones or use PEDIALYTE/GASTROLYTE. I inquired, sardonically, whether she was being paid by Coca Cola to promote Gatorade! (My sodium levels are so low that I'm beyond dizzy.)

Even Pedialyte has artificial sweeteners. Personally, I can tolerate them, to some degree. (Weird, I know.) (I can't handle sorbitol, though)

I tried Pedialyte--it's okay when you're DESPERATE, as I have been. This Aquafina stuff I had to dump (felt sick--maybe it was, no bad reaction to the Propel. Gatorade I found I had to dilute--too sweet.

I'm just curious re: FAVOURITE FLAVOURS/brands. There's so many varieties of GATORADE, from frost to whatever. I only really like the plain BLUE (raspberry) one.

Thanks,
Kate.

Personally.... new
      #200740 - 07/29/05 05:29 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I drink the blue Gatorades - Glacier Frost or some such nonsense and Cool Blue - like they're going out of style. Actually, what I do is mix them half-and-half with lime seltzer, because I don't care for how sweet they are... the carbonation is almost completely flattened when you do that, and what you're left with is a zippier Gatorade.

The only flavor I've tried and said, "Eww, nasty!" about was the fruit punch. They used to make a strawberry-kiwi one that's really good - I don't know if they stopped that flavor, or if I just can't get it here.

I can't speak for any of the other brands, but Gatorade does NOT contain artificial sweeteners. As long as you're not sensitive to artificial colors, you should be totally fine with it.

#200780 - 07/29/05 08:12 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

They used to have a nice "lemonade ice" flavor that was clear, but it wasn't apparently too popular. There is a clear watermelon (or strawberry? can't remember) that I get if I can, but I go with the boring ol' lemon-lime if I can't.

My philosophy is to go for the one closest to clear, but that's only because I don't want a blue tongue afterwards.

--AC

Re: Personally.... new
      #200782 - 07/29/05 08:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Don't forget that if you dilute them they're not as good!

? new
      #200788 - 07/29/05 08:28 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

are you drinking them bc. they help with ibs, or for a separate (though related) reason? is it low electrolytes? i don't remember coming across gatorade as an ibs thing, except for dealing with dehydration after major D attacks.

-jaime

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#200795 - 07/29/05 08:49 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I always buy the lemon gatorade but I think the other flavors may be good too. I also have had some Propel but the last time I found it overly sweet. I received some mixes I think they were Powerade but I cannot remember. you just pour the packet into a 20 oz bottle and shake. I gave it to DH so I don't know how good it was.
Can you not add more salt to your food too? (I am a big salter and sugarer since I am restricted in other ways. My blood pressure and weight are fine in case anyone is wondering about it.) I love Kosher salt and sea salt too. that is all we use here.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#200800 - 07/29/05 09:06 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I always buy the lemon gatorade but I think the other flavors may be good too. I also have had some Propel but the last time I found it overly sweet. Propel has artif sweeteners I received some mixes I think they were Powerade but I cannot remember. you just pour the packet into a 20 oz bottle and shake. Crystal Light... and those too have artif sweeteners I gave it to DH so I don't know how good it was.
Can you not add more salt to your food too? (I am a big salter and sugarer since I am restricted in other ways. My blood pressure and weight are fine in case anyone is wondering about it.) I love Kosher salt and sea salt too. that is all we use here.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

doesn't gatorade contain fructose? new
      #200801 - 07/29/05 09:08 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I can't find one that doesn't list fructose.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#200812 - 07/29/05 09:44 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi Kate,
Have you tried SmartWater? They have bottles that taste just like water but are infused with electrolytes.

You can also make your own at home using water, salt, sugar, and some other ingredients. Do a quick google search under dehydration and you will find an at-home remedy!

Yes, but not HFCS (m) new
      #200816 - 07/29/05 09:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Gatorade contains "glucose-fructose syrup". Here's a thread I started about this a little while back.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I just drink it because I like it. -nt- new
      #200819 - 07/29/05 10:00 AM
atomic rose

Re: doesn't gatorade contain fructose? new
      #200820 - 07/29/05 10:05 AM
Wind

It contains: water, liquid sugar, glucose-fructose, citric acid, natural and artificial flavour, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, colour.

(I've got a "COOL BLUE" spritzer happening as I write!)

Isn't "glucose-fructose" the same as white table sugar?

Kate, IBS-D.

He,he...fruit punch is my favorite! new
      #200823 - 07/29/05 10:10 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

But I also like the blue and purple frosts as well.

At the grocery store I can usually find gatoraide in powder form as well. This is MUCH cheaper.

I can't stand any of the power-aides and other brands, btw.

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Little Minnie, I salt the crap out of my food, BUT new
      #200825 - 07/29/05 10:13 AM
Wind

I salt my food. I cook with obscene amounts of salt! However, I use iodized sea salt, versus table salt/kosher salt. Do you think this could be a factor in my electrolyte problem? Should I bring the salt shaker back to the table, i.e. season it after it's cooked with regular salt/kosher salt? More salt variety?

I prefer Gatorade, I think of all of sports drinks. Blue is my favourite; lemon is okay. I guess there's an aisle full to try. I guess just experiment! I find them sweet--note, I'm not accustomed to "liquid sugar" formulations. I've been making spritzers. I feel better, though. Propel is okay, but it does have sucralose and that bugs/triggers some people. I hate Powerade. Ha. Maybe it's because when I cheat it's with Coke and Gatorade is a Coke product? Who knows.

Re: Little Minnie, I salt the crap out of my food, BUT new
      #200831 - 07/29/05 10:25 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

One last thought for my dear friend Kate:

I'm sure you've done it but just ibn case...check the HFS. I know at Whole Foods they have vitamin water. It looks like it has tons less sugar than gatorade. BUT it might not have the electrolytes you're looking for.

Are electrlytes the problem? Or salt? What seperates the two?

Glad you are enjoying your blue spritzers *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Thanks, Casey. new
      #200833 - 07/29/05 10:26 AM
Wind

I'm with you on the blue. Great "twist" idea with the lime and the seltzer--I find them too sweet too. I find fruit punch anything and grape anything revolting!!! I guess, I'll stick with the blues!!!

The reason I inquired is because I'm an alien in that aisle of the grocery store--a foreigner!!! My eyes popped when I saw the pantheon of beverages, so I just filled up my cart with samples of a bunch!

Re: ? new
      #200835 - 07/29/05 10:29 AM
Wind

I have an electrolyte imbalance due to a medication I take. It totally depletes me of sodium/chloride. Also, IBS-D doesn't help much, I suspect! My doctor is screaming at me to drink Gatorade and use salt. So, I'm going to listen and test her advice.

Kate.

The unexposed new
      #200838 - 07/29/05 10:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

I think it's WONDERFUL that you are so unexposed to the processed "stuff" we put in our bods...

*As president of the natural food club, I picdture a future with only wholesome foods. White flour, rice flour, whole wheat flours, fruits and veggies, both peeled and unpeeled, nuts and seeds, ground and unground, and grains, honey, molasses, and meats for those who eat em'...*

It will be organic, IBS safe, and a GF world....!

*crowd goes wild*

Ok, so I took it a bit too far...

A girl's gotta dream right!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: ? new
      #200839 - 07/29/05 10:40 AM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I love the purple frost and watermelon flavor.

Smartwater I like the Stawberry/Banana flavor.

beware the vitamin water new
      #200840 - 07/29/05 10:41 AM
jaime g

this might be just me, but i've found vitamin water to be a *major* trigger for me (d). i had some last sunday - wonderful, relaxing day spent all at home reading (so none of my usual stress triggers), eating properly, but after the vitamin water i had a painful attack.

-jaime

--------------------
jaime

Re: Ruchie, electrolytes are... new
      #200841 - 07/29/05 10:45 AM
Wind

Electrolytes are sodium, chloride, and potassium.

Re: Smartwater new
      #200842 - 07/29/05 10:47 AM
Wind

I didn't see that on my speedy trip. I'll check that out and try it. Thanks.

Kate.

Re: Salt, salt, and salt... new
      #200844 - 07/29/05 10:50 AM
Wind

I use iodized sea salt. Do you think using "table salt" or "kosher salt" (the stuff they mine) would make a difference in my sodium/chloride levels? I think I might try using table salt on my food after it's cooked and see if doing so makes a difference. Most "products" contain salt and almost always it is table salt.

Kate, IBS-D.

thanks Jamie...do you know what caused new
      #200845 - 07/29/05 10:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

the vitamin water to give you an attack? I didn't look too closely at the ingredients cause I can't have any added sugar in my diet. I'm sorry you had an attack

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: thanks Jamie...do you know what caused new
      #200846 - 07/29/05 10:53 AM
Wind

I can't take pill form vitamins--only liquid and shots. The pills are huge triggers. Thanks for the note re: vitamin water. I think there's a difference between electrolytes and vitamins, incidentally.

Kate, IBS-D.

if i remember high school chem... new
      #200847 - 07/29/05 10:55 AM
jaime g

i think sodium and potassium are the electrolytes.

"chloride" is the suffix of "sodium chloride," aka table salt, which is made up of sodium and chlorine atoms. i don't think chlorine functions as an electrolyte - i could be wrong, but i think it's just part of the sodium package.

--------------------
jaime

Re: thanks Jamie...do you know what caused new
      #200849 - 07/29/05 10:55 AM
Snow for Sarala

There def is a diff. be/ vitamins and electrolytes...I am not at all sure they contain added electrolytes...I was just hoping they might as they are prob less sweet as they have very little sugar added. Just hoping to have another option for my sister Kate! You'd really have to check for yourself...sorry for the confusion

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

electrolytes new
      #200863 - 07/29/05 11:39 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I got this off of one of the medical sites.

What are electrolytes?

Electrolytes are substances that become ions in solution and acquire the capacity to conduct electricity. The balance of the electrolytes in our bodies is essential for normal function of our cells and our organs.

Common electrolytes that are measured by doctors with blood testing include sodium, potassium, chloride, bicarbonate. The normal range values for these electrolytes are listed below:

Sodium: The major positive ion (cation) in fluid outside of cells. The chemical notation for sodium is Na+. When combined with chloride, the resulting substance is table salt. Excess sodium (such as from fast food hamburger and fries) is excreted in the urine. Too much or too little sodium can cause cells to malfunction, and extremes can be fatal.

Normal blood sodium level is 135 - 145 milliEquivalents/liter (mEq/L), or in international units, 135 - 145 millimoles/liter (mmol/L).

Potassium: The major positive ion (cation) found inside of cells. The chemical notation for potassium is K+. The proper level of potassium is essential for normal cell function. A seriously abnormal increase of potassium (hyperkalemia) or decrease of potassium (hypokalemia) can profoundly affect the nervous system and heart, and when extreme, can be fatal.

The normal blood potassium level is 3.5 - 5.0 milliEquivalents/liter (mEq/L), or in international units, 3.5 - 5.0 millimoles/liter (mmol/L).

Chloride: The major anion found in the fluid outside of cells and in blood. An anion is the negatively charged part of certain substances such as table salt (sodium chloride or NaCl) when dissolved in liquid. Sea water has almost the same concentration of chloride ion as human fluids.

The balance of chloride ion (Cl-) is closely regulated by the body. Significant increases or decreases in chloride can have deleterious or even fatal consequences:

* Increased chloride (hyperchloremia): Elevations in chloride may be seen in diarrhea, certain kidney diseases, and sometimes in overactivity of the parathyroid glands.
* Decreased chloride (hypochloremia): Chloride is normally lost in the urine, sweat, and stomach secretions. Excessive loss can occur from heavy sweating, vomiting, and adrenal gland and kidney disease.

The normal serum range for chloride is 98 - 108 mmol/L.

Bicarbonate: Bicarbonate levels are used to monitor the acidity of the blood and body fluids. The acidity is affected by foods or medications that we ingest and the function of the kidneys and lungs. The chemical notation for bicarbonate on most lab reports is HCO3- or represented as the concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2).

The normal serum range for bicarbonate is 22-30 mmol/L.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

too long since chem class - sorry i wrongly corrected about chloride before -nt- new
      #200864 - 07/29/05 11:44 AM
jaime g

--------------------
jaime

I was just gonna say... new
      #200873 - 07/29/05 12:26 PM
atomic rose

Last week I wanted to save a buck and bought the store-brand "equivalent" of Gatorade... never again! The ingredients were the same, but the flavor definitely wasn't. Blech.

#200957 - 07/29/05 03:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I really don't know. I just wondered if you ate enough salt since you said you were low. I am not sure if sea salt is not doing enough. I know it is less salty tasting but that doesn't mean anything. I personally think kosher salt tastes best.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#200958 - 07/29/05 03:27 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Just a thought....don't know if it is good or not... can you tolerate pickles or at least the juice? they are loaded with sodium...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Salt, salt, and salt...SHELL new
      #200979 - 07/29/05 05:47 PM
Wind

I can't stomach pickles, but...and I know this is due to mega low electrolytes...I have been known to drink pickle juice/water--even pour it in a glass and stick my straw in it or use it in one of my impromptu "cross-your-fingers" creations. I've been known to suck a pickle. I eat mustard and if I'm spun, I need to squirt things on my food just to get something in me. But I just can't eat pickles. I'm going to pick up some kosher salt and see if that makes a difference. I've been doing reg. Gatorade, today, and sampling different sports drinks and I FEEL BETTER!!! I've been drinking unreconstituted soup/broth.

Any ideas re: condiments? I noticed that they have a HUGE amount of sodium. Also...stupid things like Jello. When I'm totally up the creek I crave jello and now I know why. I crave egg whites to put salt on and they have tons of sodium. Same with converted/instant rice.

I'm keeping my eyes open. The soup aisle, though, is full of sodium.

Re: Salt, salt, and salt...Little Minnie new
      #200980 - 07/29/05 05:49 PM
Wind

I'll try the kosher salt. Obviously the sea salt isn't doing enough. I feel tons better with the Gatorade and the veg. stock/broth. It's a start.

Thanks,
Kate.

#201007 - 07/29/05 08:28 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi Wind, I drink the Gatorade ICE orange(it is clear). It prob won't help you the way you need it to if you diluted it but I do dilute mine with water because it is too much for me. I have tried Grape Propel and here in Canada it didn't contain any artificial sweeteners unless I am losing it (which could be possible). I haven't seen Smartwater that everyone on here talks about, not in Ontario anyway. Right now I am hugely addicted to Fruite flavoured water it has no artificial sweeteners and contains at least half the sugar of other drinks but I don't believe it has electrolytes?

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Betharoo, thanks! new
      #201091 - 07/30/05 02:23 PM
Wind

I've been doing the Gatorade and feel less "wobbly" and "woozy" and lightheaded/faint/spacey/nauseated. I think I like the blue ones best.

I looked at the Fruite--you're right; it doesn't contain electrolytes. I tried the Propel and it doesn't appear to have sweeteners in Canada. If I dilute the Gatorade, it's with Schweppes club soda or seltzer which is quite high sodium (over 80mg/cup). I'm just trying a bunch of things right now.

I appreciate you're input.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Betharoo, thanks!- no prob Wind- good luck n/t new
      #201129 - 07/30/05 09:07 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1787 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18541

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review