All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Please read....I'm scared and I didn't get a response in "The Living Room"
      #20064 - 09/09/03 12:09 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I'm not sure how to explain this best or if I even should try. But I feel that it would help me alot to just get it off my chest. I hope you don't mind.
You see....I've always been known as the shy, quiet, "never does anything wrong" type. For some reason I feel like I have so much anger built up in me and I don't know where it comes from. When I "explode" I do it when no one is around and I throw things or pound my fists into a pillow or on the bed matress, etc. I never throw anything that will break or destroy anything because I don't want anyone to find out. If anyone were to ever see me "explode" they'd be shocked I think. For example....this morning I asked my husband to do something and he didn't do it right away. I got frustrated trying to do it myself as he was outside doing something else before we went to work. So when he was outside I took my sweatshirt in my hand and beat it on our bed, I knocked over a little chair and inside I was screaming. He eventually helped with what I asked him to, and I knew he would. I don't know where this anger comes from over such petty things. But, it scares me. I even slapped our dogs this morning when they jumped up on me. It wasn't hard enough to hurt them, but what if it ever is? That scares me. My husband has seen my temper to a certain extent, but he has never really seen me "explode". How can I control it? How can I find out where it comes from? I think a lot of it is because I'm angry at my dad (even at my age of 35). I love my dad and we have always gotten along and he has been a good dad. Never was he abusive or anything like that. I just feel his work was and still is more important than anything else. He missed out on so much when my brother and I were kids and he continues to miss out on so much as we are adults. So sometime, I realize that if my husband or anyone does anything that reminds me of why I am angry with my dad then my anger builds up and I eventually "explode". Does that make sense?
When I was a kid, I would even hurt myself (minor things) so that I would get attention or get to go to the doctor. I have never ever told anyone that. Not that I was lacking in attention. I don't know what the problem was. I don't do that any more and haven't for many many years.
I think this has a lot to do with my tummy problems.
Thanks for listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please read....I'm scared and I didn't get a response in "The Living Room" new
      #20067 - 09/09/03 12:13 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I responded in the Living Room just now.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Please read....I'm scared and I didn't get a response in "The Living Room" new
      #20069 - 09/09/03 12:26 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm sorry you are going through this. For years I would go through similar things, like I just couldn't deal even with some of the simpliest things on certain days(No, I can't blame it all on PMS and it doesn't sound like you can either) I would get angry and take it out on my pets too. Like you said, not enough to really hurt them but that thought was also always in my mind. I have been on several different anti-depressants for the past 7-8 years, and that has made a hugh difference. At first I was very ressistant to anti-depressant meds, I didn't feel my problem was depression. My doctor explained to me about chemical imbalances in the brain that makes some of us have a harder time with even the most eveyday of things. Is it possible for you to see some kind of therapist, so you can talk to a professional about these problems? Please know that you are not the only one to have these kinds of feelings and it does NOT make you a bad person. Please feel to email me personally if you would like to talk more.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#20072 - 09/09/03 12:38 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Nugget,

Sounds like you are having quite a time. I really truly believe you should go to counselling. I completely understand what you are going through - only my issues were with my mother.

I didn't want to be put on anti depressent so I went to counselling first. It helps so much, I am such a believer in it. They guide you towards your feelings of what is "really" bothering you and I have learnt to bring that into my later life and it is wonderful.

Also - don't be afraid to yell. To let yourself be heard, if you want the garbage taken out and it doesn't happen say you are pissed off. Don't be embarrassed or scared to show your feelings. It is going to cause you alot more damage to keep these feelings held in.

I was on the verge of losing touch with my family because I felt so alone and that no one understood my feelings. I don't want to see this cause you and your husband to drift apart.

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, you have a right to, they are your feelings and you can't help how you feel.

If you would like to talk personally, my email is in my profile.

Good luck sweetie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#20087 - 09/09/03 02:28 PM
airplane girl

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Indiana

I have found one thing that helps me out when I am going through situations as you described, exercise. One day I found myself so angry I changed quickly strapped on some headphones and ran close to 12 miles. I also have started lifting more often and doing other physical activites like rollerblading, I usually workout close to every other day this really helps me stay grounded and calm. I also do a lot of deep meditative breathing. I wish you the best though and I know that if this doesn't work for you, you will definetly find something that does..

...I replied on The Living Room board.... - praying for you..... -nt- new
      #20103 - 09/09/03 04:51 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

#20127 - 09/09/03 06:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Aww, sweetie. I feel so bad for you! Don't think we were ignoring you - I've been busy with newborn daughter. I agree with what the others were saying. It's time to talk to a Doc. You may have a chemical imbalance that can simply be corrected by meds. These imbalances can cause several things: from depression, to anxiety disorders, to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(which I have), to bipolar disorder (HUGE mood swings), etc.
You shouldn't feel guilty for feeling this way. Since it's been going on for a long time, I think it's about time to see about it. It's not like it wasa one time thing and it is obviously bothering you a lot.
Get this: I have OCD (obsessive compulsive) and depression AND I hid it for about 25 of my 30 years. I always felt like I was a bad person for feeling the way I did. Turns out it was just a stupid chemical imbalance and I feel much better now I'm on the correct meds.
Your Doc can tell you what he thinks. That's my guess. E-mail me if you'd like. I'm here for you!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

...What a wonderful, compassionate reply! I agree with you, Han... new
      #20130 - 09/09/03 07:13 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

....Just posted a "p.s." to my earlier reply on The Living Room board - very much like yours. It's tough carrying around a "secret", isn't it?

Nugget, terms like "OCD" and "depression", etc, can sound scary - but we just want to encourage you that there IS help - and HOPE - and, once again, this isn't "your fault" - no reason to be ashamed. Just keep taking one minute at a time and God bless you for your courage.

(BTW, I'm currently seeking a new, more definitive diagnosis - suspect I may either be somewhere on the bipolar spectrum, or, my depression has returned and I also may have undiagnosed ADD. Have my first appointment in October. While it's a little stressful to think about a new diagnosis and treatment, my past experience has been so good that I'm looking forward to getting this process going again).

Blessings to you both,
Kaybee C

#20149 - 09/10/03 05:35 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Nugget,
Your behavior proves only one thing... You are human! We ALL experience anger, frustration, depression and a whole spectrum of other emotions. Anyone who pretends they don't is just a better actress than you are.
I have dealt with anxiety and panic attacks. When I have PMS, I seriously could rip someones head off. No kidding. If you would ask someone who knows me if this is true, they would say, no way. I hide it very well. It just bubbles inside of me.
Once, when I was in fourth grade, I pretended to have a horrible stomach ache. Just to get attention. My parents took me to the emergency room! I felt so guilty! I still remeber confessing to them later.
If you notice from these responses, we all deal with something. This is the human condition, we have flaws. The true test is what we do about it. It is up to us to take responsibility for our own well being.
First, talk to your GP, they are a good place to start. If you both feel it is appropriate, try a medication for a period of time. I took Celexa for six months and it made a huge difference in my anxiety. It gave me time to "unlearn" my response to stress. Now I don't need it anymore, however I would not hesitate to take it again if necessary. My sister-in-law had problems with severe PMS and anger, which she did NOT hide well. It was way worse on us than on her I suspect! Her Gyn put her on BCPs. POOF, she is a new woman. (I am no longer afraid of her. LOL) Her hormones were just out of balance.
The other thing that would really help is to TALK about your frustrations. I bet your husband isn't even aware of it. Perhaps you could keep a journal. If you feel you can't manage on your own, your GP could reccommend a therapist.
You have taken the first step by sharing your fears with us. I hope it helps to know that you are not some horrible person. You are just like everyone of us, imperfect. God loves us anyway, flaws and all. I think we are presented with these challenges so that we can learn to cope and become better for it. If life were always easy and sunny, what would be the point? We are thinking of you and wish you the best. Artist (Kathleen)

Thank you to everyone {{{hugs}}}..... new
      #20172 - 09/10/03 10:26 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I want to thank all of you for your loving support, encouragement and suggestions. I have thought about going back to my GP and discussing this with him, but I hate to go back on meds. I was on Zoloft a couple years ago for two years for depression/anxiety. I was so proud of myself for getting off of it and so was everyone else (my family & husband). I hate to disappoint anyone.

Thanks again.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1745 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1845

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review