All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New here...Does anyone else throw up?
      #200609 - 07/28/05 04:28 PM
mattin7827

Reged: 07/28/05

Hi, I am 16 and was recently diagnosed with IBS. The problem started when I would have terrible stomach problems during nervous or stressful events, but later on I had "D" on a daily basis. But besides this, when I have "D," I find myself gagging a lot and even throwing up. Mornings have always been the worst for me and this is when it tends to happen. Is this normal and any helpful hints? Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

YES!!!!! But... new
      #200634 - 07/28/05 05:32 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

The pain used to get soooo bad, or I would get sooo stopped up with C I would then get D, horrible keep-me-up-all-night pains, and vomit!

BUT...I'm not sure your vomiting is IBS? Have you been checked for Crohn's (check the Crohn's board, perhaps post there if you haven't), and other stomach ailments? It sounds like it might be more than
IBS to me...

I'm sure you'll get lots of responses....take care!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: New here...Does anyone else throw up? new
      #200635 - 07/28/05 05:33 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I puke, but less often now. Nausea is a side effect of pills I take. Also, if you're D, you should have you're electrolytes checked (I do). That will often cause nausea/vomitting as well. If I drink too much water, I'm more likely to vomit.

I'm instructed by my M.D. not to consume too much water and to consume lots of salt. When I do, my nausea is decreased and my vomitting, too. Now, if I feel gaggy, I take Peptobismal caps. I've started using sports drinks and organic veg. stock/no-chicken broth--very high sodium and adding salt to food. I feel better after consuming Pedialyte, as well and lots of potassium.

You could have GERDS, though, I suppose. Or a vitamin deficiency. Also, are you sure you're not anorectic? Stress also makes your stomach constrict/cramp.

If you're D, as I am, I suspect it's due to a sodium/chloride deficiency.

SEE YOUR M.D., A.S.A.P. THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF.

Kate, IBS-D.

#200739 - 07/29/05 05:27 AM
mattin7827

Reged: 07/28/05

Hey thanks for your responses. Just to clarify, my gastro doctor has tested for tons of stuff. Everything came back normal, no vitamin deficiencies,no Chrone's,normal thyroid, and no Celiac. I'm stumped.

#200843 - 07/29/05 10:49 AM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

When my C was real bad I would vomit.

Hasn't happened since I started Heather's diet.

#200855 - 07/29/05 11:23 AM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

Yes, sometimes I throw up from the pain of my D attacks.

Kristi

#200857 - 07/29/05 11:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome to the Boards. You might want to take a look at Heather's "The First Year - IBS". Among other things it contains a list of conditions to eliminate and tests to have to be sure your diagnosis of IBS is accurate. A big chunk of the first part of it is on the Website here.

I'm IBS-D also (although I don't throw up, thank goodness) and mornings are my worst time, too. Heather's diet plus an SFS have worked wonders for me and I hope they do the same for you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: YES!!!!! But... new
      #201013 - 07/29/05 09:23 PM
Elfmaid

Reged: 07/29/05
Loc: Vancouver, BC CANADA

Me too!!! When my cramping hits it's peak during a really bad attack it's not unusual for me to throw up.. when the hardest spasm finally FORCES my bowel to void and the D finally kicks in and the pressure is relieved then the nausea fades a lot and I'm ok, if a bit shaken.

Man,. you have my extreme empathy hun... argh! After talking to a GP at my Eating Disorder Clinic who has a history of bowel pain too, I got a wonderful dose of info on why we throw up... it's a pain response. Adrenalin is released when the pain hits a certain point and WHAM, it can induce vomiting. It's why we get the shakes after a bad attack too.

I agree with what I'm seeing here too though, those electrolytes are REALLY important to stay on top of, ESPECIALLY for those of us who have D. These other folks are right in that dehydration can cause worse nausea and make it all a very dangerous tail chasing routine. I can't count the times I've had an attack and then fainted, and needed to wobble off and get water and broth to revive myself.

Again, my very genuine empathy- attacks like that are so debilitating mere words cannot even begin to describe.

--------------------
Part Irish and NOT thrilled about having celtic knotwork in my belly!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 476 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1114

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review