All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lactose pills anyone?
      #200227 - 07/27/05 09:41 PM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

I've never tried lactose digestion pills. How many others have tried them and liked them? what are you able to eat now that you couldn't before??

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactose pills anyone? new
      #200233 - 07/27/05 09:53 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I know they don't work for me - I tried using them for years (pre-IBS diagnosis) with only mild improvement and then I just said screw it and gave up eating dairy. For IBS, most of the time it's more than just the lactose that is causing problems.

Try doing a search on 'Lactaid' - I'm pretty sure some people have weighed in on this before.

The only thing they are somewhat useful for new
      #200285 - 07/28/05 06:44 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Is if there might be a trace amout of dairy in something --- like in a packaged food that has it listed as the 20th ingredient out of 21 or something like that... Or if I am eating at a restaurant and I scooped off all the whipped cream or cheese from something -- but I just want to "cover" myself. Or if I am having a recipe that I am not sure if it might have a small trace of dairy in it.

It does not work for me with full blown dairy products. I still get gas, bloating and D.

#200297 - 07/28/05 07:05 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Yes, I have used Lactaid pills for years. Fortunately, I can eat small amounts of dairy but I need to take a Lactaid pill first. I can eat about 1/2 cup of ice cream or milk in my oatmeal or cheese on something.

Most people with IBS can't tolerate dairy at all so if you are one of those the Lactaid pills won't help you.

BTW, if you take them be sure not to get the chewable ones because they have Sorbitol in them.

Barbie

--------------------

#200308 - 07/28/05 07:21 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i'm lactose intolerant separate from my ibs, and i've found them really helpful. since i started with the ibs, i've been taking the pills that are once-a-day - rather than just providing lactase (the enzyme that digests lactose), they give you the bacteria that produce lactase, enough to last for a day. with the ibs i'm avoiding full-out dairy, like ice cream and cheese, but these keep me covered for those traces of dairy that are in *everything*.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 303 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review