All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help for eating insoluble and soluble
      #200059 - 07/27/05 12:51 PM
tama_chan

Reged: 06/18/05

I'm still currently on the diet, but feeling pain every hour of the day still. I know it's going to probably take longer, but could someone PLEASE tell me what the basic amount of insoluble fiber is needed to survive. I really wouldn't mind if someone could give me some kind of guideline, like this:

rice with potatoes and carrots
1 slice of insoluble fiber bread

Now I don't even know if thats a correct plan, but if someone could help me with this... I do have the IBS book but it doesn't go into detail like this. I'm not looking for anything fancy in dishes, I don't mind eating the most primative meal to get by, as long as I can control this severe pain every hour.

Thank you again.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help for eating insoluble and soluble new
      #200072 - 07/27/05 01:20 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Have you tried the Break The Cycle Diet for a few days? On that you eliminate all Insoluble Fiber and eat just Soluble. The break from IF (and fat and protein) gives your gut a chance to calm down. Then, after a few days, you can start adding IF, fat, and protein back in very carefully, a little at a time.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

A Couple ideas new
      #200096 - 07/27/05 02:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

First of all what kind of pain are you talking about? Because if it is C pain than you should add IF in my opinion, but if it is more like D pain than just focus on feeling better and don't worry about how much IF you need to be healthy. A bit of time with an unbalanced diet is sometimes needed to help the gut calm down and doing the break the cycle longer may be best. Then if IF bothers you start with the easiest ones to digest. Whole grains and raw veggies are the hardest! and so cooked veggies and mushy fruits are a better way to get IF. Try your rice and carrots and add some peas or cooked green beans or asparagus. If needed puree the veggies. Also add some peaches or blueberries to your breakfast. Those are the easiest IFs. Once you are past that it is best to have some IF with each thing you eat and your body will tell you how much.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Help for eating insoluble and soluble new
      #200107 - 07/27/05 03:03 PM
tama_chan

Thank you everyone. I do not have D, but plenty of C pain. It usually aggrivates the most when I need to do lifting at my workplace, but stays pretty bad most of the day. I'll restart the break-the-cycle diet for a few days, and then add what I can think of for ISF. I was just wondering about the moderation of it, and what the best foods are for it.

ok for IBS C new
      #200148 - 07/27/05 05:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Try to get a bit of fat and IF in ever meal. Incorporating fruits and veggies into other things works great and anything that can be pureed is awesome. Just try to stay away from IF foods that cause specific problems until you isolate what works for you. Avoid the gas producing fruits and veggies like cabbage, broccoli and pears, avoid things like onions and avoid whole wheat. Try some of Heather's recipes that are very safe: pureed dips and bread or things like pumpkin bread etc. Put IF fruits in your breakfast cereal.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I agree with LittleMinnie new
      #200260 - 07/28/05 05:31 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you've already done the BTC diet and your pain is from C, then, from what I've read on the Boards, you really need IF. I love Heather's Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread and Zucchini Bread - in both you get a little bit of IF and some fat. And try fruit smoothies. If you base them on banana and peeled peaches (mostly SF), then you can add IF fruit like blueberries just a little bit at a time and gradually increase the amount of blueberry as you feel comfortable with it.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I agree with LittleMinnie & Sand new
      #200378 - 07/28/05 09:51 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's the safe, gentle, friendly approach. (It's also MORE PALATABLE, i.e. delectable!!! and fun and full of ANTI-OXIDANTS)

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: I agree with LittleMinnie & Sand new
      #200627 - 07/28/05 05:15 PM
tama_chan

Thanks again everyone.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 948 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 900

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review