Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Am I going too fast? Or is it just me?
      #199912 - 07/27/05 09:47 AM
professor

Reged: 07/19/05
Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Hi everybody

Had an effortless normal stool this morning (had a normal one yesterday morning too). Had fish (tilapia) and potatoe and carrot puree last night. Put six blueberries in my oatmeal this morning. At noon, I had pasta with mushrooms (cook with a small amont of pam) and a small amount of can tomatoes (did not cook them, simply just warmed a little bit in the microwave). So far, so good. Still have mild bloating and gas (getting used to the SFS?) Think i'm IBS-A, but much more D.

Still taking half of a imodium each morning. Think i'm going to keep on going with that until I get home next week. Just to be sure.

Many of you guys are saying to me that it's going to take months to be stable. Just don't get it, Heather says in her books that for D people it's usually a question of days or weeks, but that it's longer for C people.

Well, anyway, I feel great thanks to you guys. I think I can do it if i'm careful. So, what do you think of my progress? It is just temporary?

Just love that funnel tea! I think it taste like black licorice! Never had it before! Can I start with the rice milk now?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Everyone's different! new
      #199948 - 07/27/05 10:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you're finding yourself stabilizing so quickly, good for you! That's excellent. A lot of D'ers do stabilize pretty quickly... I happened to be one of the freaks who took almost a year to do so completely.

It sounds to me like you're moving along at a good pace, but I would hold off on adding any more insoluble fiber foods for a couple days. You really only want to add them one at a time, in case one of them turns out to be something your body can't tolerate - doing them one at a time makes it easier to figure out which one it is! Since you did blueberries and tomatoes today, see how you feel tomorrow with the same, and then if you want to add something else, give it a try the day after that.

And yes, go ahead with the rice milk!

Keep up the good progress!

Re: Am I going too fast? Or is it just me? new
      #199954 - 07/27/05 10:43 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I've been following your story, and it sounds like you are making awesome progress!!! Just hang in there and don't rush back to foods that will trigger an attack. If possible, try to get enough sleep and keep stress to a minimum. Sounds like you are moving forward by leaps and bounds! Congrats!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Everyone's different! new
      #199997 - 07/27/05 11:27 AM
professor

Hi Atomic Rose! Good to hear from you!

By reading all the posts on this web site and others, seems to me that stress is a big factor in the speed of recovery for IBS'ers, specially D-types like us. It seems that if got some sort of psychological problem on top of the IBS, doesn't help.

I'm more and more convinced that I developed IBS over the last 3 years, especially in the last year. It was a very stressful year for me, moving, new job, etc. Had a lot of anxiety going on (had to take a few pills sometimes to go to sleep!) about my career. I'm sure that stress played a major role in the development of my IBS.

This nightmarish summer I just went through was like a catharsis for me. I discovered that I was taking my career much too seriously (I really involved and I love my job) and needed less than I tought to be happy. And in the course of the summer, my bosses gave me a substantial raise and gave a job to my wife, It helped with some anxieties that we had about the new place we were in. We are looking forward to back to our house in a week and getting settled there (thinking of having children!).

Anyway, I think that the fact that I'm getting pretty zen about everything in life right now is helping me stablelized. When I get back home, gonna put my anti-stress program on like Heather's is suggesting in her book.

Of course, I will continue to follow all suggestions you guys make.

PS: I also had the experience of the beets turning my poop red a few years ago, freaked out!

#200158 - 07/27/05 05:39 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

The way I always understood that quote from Heather was not necessarily in reference to stabilization but rather to breaking the cycle... what's the difference? Well, it took me a few weeks to break the cycle (i.e. to stop having 5-10 D attacks a day) and about a year now to work towards something I might call stabilization (i.e. feeling 'normal' most of the time, not having to worry about IBS 24/7, having lots and lots of pain-free, D-free days etc.). I think it takes C-people longer to 'get things moving' during the first few weeks of the diet (while D people will probably see more immediate results) but I think that for C or D people actually stabilizing can take much longer. Maybe I'm wrong - just going on my own experience and from what I've read on this site/these boards. Does that make sense though?

I've been reading your posts and I think you're making really great progress, plus you seem to have a really positive attitude towards making these changes which is really refreshing to see - and makes for another friendly person on the boards! I'd second Casey's advice about adding in IF foods pretty much one at a time - that's really the best way to do it since then you'll know if something in particular is bothersome to you.

#200228 - 07/27/05 09:45 PM
professor

Hi

I actually never had more than 1 d-attack a day (usually in the morning), so I guess I must be starting a little ahead of the situation you were in. But it's still tough to accept, but i'm a fithter. I'm also trying to have a positive attitude because I think stress has a lot to do with IBS. I was talking about someone I had a conflict with tonight while I was walking outside, then a cramp started, sat down at a cofee shop, took a mint tea and tried to think of something else. The cramp went away for a few hours, and then it came back before bedtime. Think part of the secret is trying to focus on something else than IBS while developing some sort of sixth sense about the food you eat.

Think i'm gonna play it safe tomorrow and stay with SF food.

Thanks for your comments.

#200229 - 07/27/05 09:48 PM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

HI there,
read you like the fennel tea. How do you steep it. I don't care for it, maybe i'm doing it wrong...?

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

#200235 - 07/27/05 09:56 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Sounds like great progress. Took me about a month before I stopped running to the bathroom after everything I ate. About four years now and I am doing really well. Yea.

Temporary Smemporary. The glass is half full - you're on your way to having a normal tummy again. Good for you!

#200269 - 07/28/05 05:53 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

In my opinion, if you hate fennel tea, it means you're brewing it just right.

I'm not along in my opinion - lots of people hate fennel tea. Search on "fennel hate" and you'll find some suggestions about how to get it down anyhow.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

what else is there? new
      #200393 - 07/28/05 10:07 AM
genie

Reged: 05/28/04

your'e right, I hate it. It's simply tastes gross to me. I love peppermint though! I will do the search, I haven't seriously tried fennel tea everyday to feel a diff. in the bloating. what works for you?

--------------------
Life responds when we risk.

Re: what else is there? new
      #200418 - 07/28/05 10:42 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I don't like fennel tea either, but it does help some. I drink it only if I feel gassy, which is less and less often, thankfully. I find it a little less nasty tasting if I drink it at about room temperature or a little warmer.

Or sometimes I mix it with peppermint tea or a bag of Good Earth brand Good Night tea.

PS> Good Night tastes like it has a little fennel with it anyway, but there are other flavors in there too, so it actually tastes good.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review